Potential Marine Fishing Closures for SARA Steelhead

searun

Creating this thread to specifically call out the proposed 60 day rolling window closures for all recreational, commercial and FSC fisheries if Thompson - Chilcotin Steelhead are listed under SARA. I think people generally are aware of the serious situation these fish face. There is no doubt about it. When we proposed the SARA listing, that did come with some predictable consequences for recreational fishing beyond river systems.

These rolling fishing closures are very impactful to our fisheries, and for those who know anything about the probability of intercepting a Thompson River steelhead while fishing for salmon or halibut in salt water - you know its more likely you would win the lottery.

Does this make any sense? The risk is very real. Just think about all that is the SARA Critical Habitat process for SRKW.

Thoughts? Impacts? Does this make any sense at all?

Appendix A: List Scenario 60-Day Rolling Window Closure Details
Snip20181112_10.png
Snip20181112_9.png Snip20181112_8.png

No, it does not make any sense to me. I don't want to get into the in-river gill net vs. ocean rec fishing argument here but they are proposing a huge area for closures without providing a quantified risk probability that the closures would mitigate. This is going to have huge economic impact on a lot of coastal communities/businesses and will not address the issue of Thompson steelhead or interior coho issues. those species are mainly the victim of poor in-river management decisions. salt water rec fishing closure isn't going to recover the stocks.

Last edited:
No sense at all. The source of the problem is environmental chemistry change and all the political bs has turned into this. Nobody will ever agree on the causes.

Its so whacky, the conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder if there is an alternative method to the madness. Perhaps get the community so up in arms they fight the SARA listing?

How often are Steelhead caught as by catch while fishing salmon in the ocean? I have never seen or heard of one instance. I guess it must happen, what are the stats?

How many steelhead are actually caught in the salt?

I have never heard of one caught in the straight of Georgia. Saw one caught up in Haida Gwaii...about 5 lbs.

Interested to hear how many are encountered by those who put in more time fishing these area or have many republican years experience.

To me, this is complete overkill.

Are they also proposing to shut down the Fraser for ALL fishing during the migration time?

In 50 years of salt water fishing with 34 of those guiding I've caught 2.

There is enough blame to go around in circles forever with no resolution in sight to the Southern Resident Whale problem or dwindling wild salmon stocks, especially Steelhead, Chinook and lets not forget Halibut!!
DFO and special interest groups are on a roll right now and I expect they will move quickly while momentum is on their side.
Rolling closures are easy to implement and would face little resistance from the general pubic or at the poles come election time.
Lets face it, Sport Fishing supporters are relatively few in numbers, has no money and worse yet no unity!
We can and should however keep up the good fight for access to the resource, whatever that might end up being!!
One thing we can say with certainly is, change is coming!!
Hang on. We are going thru a rough patch right now, but Gale Warnings are on the horizon for Sport Fishermen.

There is enough blame to go around in circles forever with no resolution in sight to the Southern Resident Whale problem or dwindling wild salmon stocks, especially Steelhead, Chinook and lets not forget Halibut!!
DFO and special interest groups are on a roll right now and I expect they will move quickly while momentum is on their side.
Rolling closures are easy to implement and would face little resistance from the general pubic or at the poles come election time.
Lets face it, Sport Fishing supporters are relatively few in numbers, has no money and worse yet no unity!
We can and should however keep up the good fight for access to the resource, whatever that might end up being!!
One thing we can say with certainly is, change is coming!!
Hang on. We are going thru a rough patch right now, but Gale Warnings are on the horizon for Sport Fishermen.

Indeed, more SRKW Critical Habitat proposals coming according to the Minister. I'm guessing the next area will be from Nanaimo to Campbell River. This version of SARA could prove to be just as challenging as the SRKW issue - especially because the SARA team at DFO is mandated by closure as the primary instrument they can bring to the table. We need to become very familiar with the SARA process.

No, it does not make any sense to me. I don't want to get into the in-river gill net vs. ocean rec fishing argument here but they are proposing a huge area for closures without providing a quantified risk probability that the closures would mitigate. This is going to have huge economic impact on a lot of coastal communities/businesses and will not address the issue of Thompson steelhead or interior coho issues. those species are mainly the victim of poor in-river management decisions. salt water rec fishing closure isn't going to recover the stocks.
I think that's the exact intent!

They already pretty much said that they won’t be listed for “social and economic reason”

And you can see why. These closures are ridiculous. Also they are complete finish closures.

As far as catching a Steelhead trolling in the salt it's akin to catching a unicorn

But I guess it does happen

upload_2018-11-13_11-3-9.png
upload_2018-11-13_11-3-44.png

Last edited:
So here is the only thing I think that is probably worth a bit of panic and discussion is that Steelhead are not the only Fraser Stock up for a review or listing. Over the next 5 years I think their is something like 7 sockeye stocks and some Chinook stocks.

The aggregate of all these issues could pose some serious closure windows in the future.

upload_2018-11-13_11-46-15.png

upload_2018-11-13_11-45-36.png

... The Department continues to implement fishery management actions to reduce impacts on these populations

An outright lie.
The truth is the Department continues to shut down both commercial and recreational fisheries that might impact those populations, while at the same time condoning FN harvests (both commercial and FSC) of the same.
Smoke, Mirrors & Lies.

Nog

An outright lie.
The truth is the Department continues to shut down both commercial and recreational fisheries that might impact those populations, while at the same time condoning FN harvests (both commercial and FSC) of the same.
Smoke, Mirrors & Lies.

Nog

I think that is the crux of a lot of issues or stress for a lot of people. If conservation is a concern then stop fishing for all. When it becomes not a concern open it for all. This idea that you can somehow manage a stock down to the last net though allocations and exploitation is not working or promoting a recovery.

Especially for non commercial fisheries exploitation numbers/recording and accountability is not very accurate.

Fisheries tho a generally not the reason for the current decline in salmon populations. Fishing used to be able to exploit up to 75% of a stock and it would recover now we are down to less then 25% and these stocks are still not recovering.

In 50 years of salt water fishing with 34 of those guiding I've caught 2.
That's two more than I've caught in 17 years of ocean fishing as strictly a recreational guy. I usually catch and keep around 20 salmon per year and release probably 4 times that many (maybe more). So that's about 100 brought to the boat per year by me. Typically I fish with one-two other people on board who catch just as many. So that's about 250 salmon to the boat per year. 17x250 = 4250 so my estimate is <1/4250. You must have handled FAR more fish in your saltwater fishing experience. Do you have any estimate of the total number that accounted for those 2?

Looks like widespread closures that will have huge negative economic impact on coastal communities with very little if any indication of if it will work. Looks like a lot of pain for one sector for very little if any gain. The rec sector in the ocean catches almost no steelhead. DFO needs to focus on commercial and FN net fisheries if they want to seriously protect endangered steelhead. The rec sector gets targeted because we are easy and unorganized and it looks like DFO is doing something when in reality they are not. My 2 bits.

I’ve kept personal logs going back to 1986 but I’m missing one year, probably lost in a move. Not prepared to put that much time into figuring that one out...lets just say lots. One was caught right alone the west side of Secretary Island and one just west of 3rd rock at Otter Point. Both shallow and on spoons.

Back