Potential Issues with New Old Stock Outboard?

Damien

Anything you would look out for or do before going into break in period? I have a line on a brand new/crated 2011 4 stroke kicker. It is about 30% off of typical sale price, so I figure its worth a look.

I'm told Honda doesn't even put years on there kickers any more since they sit in showrooms for a year or 2 then sold. As Craven says warranty should start from date of purchase.

New impeller, change all fluids.
Be wary of any rubber parts, hoses, belts etc.
Motors do not like to sit for long periods.

Not much rubber and it has not seen fuel, sunlight oil etc. Stored properly dry as possible and no issues. If it's lubed nice it's just metal. My father in law bought a new 9 year old Suzuki 65 hp and great engine. Did waterpump about 7 years later, freshwater though. Used it 15 years and sold it for good money.

I'm told Honda doesn't even put years on there kickers any more since they sit in showrooms for a year or 2 then sold. As Craven says warranty should start from date of purchase.
True, neither does Yamaha. You can find a manufacture date, but that apparently means nothing anymore.

Cool. I get the sense that I pretty much just follow the manufacturers break in schedule and have at it. Under 2K for a brand new 15hp makes sense for me. But I guess I'll take a hit on the resale market if I ever wind up selling it.

Cool.

Anyone know of any major changes from the current to the previous small Mercs?

From this vintage
10181659.jpg

To current?
15merc.jpg

Well, I took a leap of faith and snagged the motor today for $1800 including tank and hose. Started in a pull and a half, all seems in check. Still need to go through break in procedure.

I don't know why I thought it would be lighter than the 30hp Mariner 2 stroke I just sold. Cuz it ain't, or now that i'm 40 115lbs feels a lot heavier than it used to.

Anyone know if you can add charging to this?

Attachments

• 15hp mercury short shaft.jpg
    15hp mercury short shaft.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Well, I took a leap of faith and snagged the motor today for $1800 including tank and hose. Started in a pull and a half, all seems in check. Still need to go through break in procedure.

I don't know why I thought it would be lighter than the 30hp Mariner 2 stroke I just sold. Cuz it ain't, or now that i'm 40 115lbs feels a lot heavier than it used to.

Anyone know if you can add charging to this?
all depends, it should be equipped and all you need is the harness. Serial number at a mercury dealer will tell the story

I have had a few mercury kickers, they had the charging system under the fly wheel, needed to buy a 40 harness. Lift the lid, should be two wires with plugs on them attach to battery.

My 1999 9.9 Bigfoot had it. I just needed to add the cable. Was easy but you will need to look up the serial number to be sure

Last edited:
Looks like $200 for a kit. Will see if there is a compatible tohatsu part interchange.

Back