Portable Buddy Heaters

There are now fiberglass 10 and 20 gal tanks available. They are being used for the new little Chinese propane kickers..... but they are ideal for a Little Buddy. Just keep the tank outside of the cabin area. CV Marine in Courtenay has them for about $135. Way cheaper than aluminum.

There are now fiberglass 10 and 20 gal tanks available. They are being used for the new little Chinese propane kickers..... but they are ideal for a Little Buddy. Just keep the tank outside of the cabin area. CV Marine in Courtenay has them for about $135. Way cheaper than aluminum.
They are available almost any where. Wills Marine in Comox also carries them. You can see the level of the fuel inside from any angle which is really cool. They have a longer life span then any other tank in the market. Any propane dealer should be able to get them in for you if they don't already stock them.

Rockfish. Instead of a bulky thermos. I have Zippo hand warmers that work great. Last a long time and are small, compact and refillable. I believe that also come in different sizes.

My wife sells heated seat cushions. Most people use them at a hockey rink, but there are a few people that use hem in their boats, and other uses. Basically, you remove the liner, microwave it, then insert into the cushion part. It stays warm for up to 4 hrs in normal conditions, and on a boat probably for 2 hrs or so. She's been selling them for a few years.
PM me if anyone is interested

I sold mine to SophiaB, thinking of trying something else. Was looking at 12v heaters or running an inverter. But being I am a single battery boat I might just have to buy a new buddy heater or go diesel.

Princess auto had a ton of them last week on sale

Got a problem with mine, the pilot lights fine with one push of the button,
after that I can't get the unit to light at all.
Doesn't matter how long you hold the button down.
faulty thermo couple ?

Definitely sounds like a thermal couple

Got a problem with mine, the pilot lights fine with one push of the button,
after that I can't get the unit to light at all.
Doesn't matter how long you hold the button down.
faulty thermo couple ?

Holy Crap, Mine did the same thing yesterday. Weird. Let me know if you find the problem or a fix for it.

KK

Holy Crap, Mine did the same thing yesterday. Weird. Let me know if you find the problem or a fix for it.

KK

After several phone calls, i finally got someone in the technical side to advise me the ignition module was shot.
they are sending me a new one no charge.

I use a buddy heater for winter fishing on kootenay lake and it works great. One thing I've caught on to is to wrap sandwiches in aluminum foil and then set them on top of the heater on low for a few minutes!! grilled cheese! The other thing is if the heater is sitting in the bottom of the boat and it shuts off for no reason it's probably because the low 02 sensor in it is tripping off, then it's time to open the door for a bit and let some air in. If you're starting to get a headache that's a sign of some CO2/CO buildup too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked one up on Friday and used it Saturday (Mr. Buddy).
My 3 year old got too close and almost caught his pants on fire...turned his sweat pants into a melted black mess. Then his older brother melted his rain pants. Gonna have to come up with an idea to keep them safe...my wife read me the riot act last night.
Maybe now she'll let me get the wallas stove I've been begging for :).

Was out the last two days with mine no one got burnt. Safety first on my boat. That's why I keep mine tucked up against my fuel tank. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
used mine yesterday loved it, but was so nice out I had to shut it off lol
I use the smaller "portable buddy heater"

I run the smaller one as well, and yes my 9 y.o. son has singed his sweat pants too.
There's no way to avoid it, the thing draws my son like a magnet.

Back