Portable Buddy Heaters

It amazes me the power of social media for stuff like this.

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/

they have had them on sale for some time...wouldn't doubt a local supplier would match their price....

we use a little buddy in the 22' alloy boat. I love it for what it is....even used it to cook some sausage rolls when times got tough!

0520121353a.jpg

Yumm!! Who needs a galley!

You can roast hotdogs and smokies with it. Thought about building a rack in front to hold hotdogs and to catch the dripping from sausages.

got one today at Lordco for $100

I just checked out Lordco in Langley 20 minutes ago got them to check the price and was told $168.00. i scoffed at that and mentioned your post and what they were at Canadian Tire. She said lowest they could go. I'll get mine at Canadian tire. It wasn't the big buddy either, i made sure i had the right one. lordcos can vary a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
lordcos can vary a lot. Sure got that one right... Ran into a completely unfriendly sales gal at the Courtenay Lordco yesterday. I was looking for fuel stabilizer and asked where they put the Stabil. "Wusdat?" I explained and she said-- "its over there" I looked and all they had was a very expensive carbcleaner and stabilizer . I said "no.. you had it last time I was in... on the additives shelf. " Oh" - she said and turned to another customer. I left and found the Can Tire version for 1/4 the price at Canadian Tire.

lordcos can vary a lot. Sure got that one right... Ran into a completely unfriendly sales gal at the Courtenay Lordco yesterday. I was looking for fuel stabilizer and asked where they put the Stabil. "Wusdat?" I explained and she said-- "its over there" I looked and all they had was a very expensive carbcleaner and stabilizer . I said "no.. you had it last time I was in... on the additives shelf. " Oh" - she said and turned to another customer. I left and found the Can Tire version for 1/4 the price at Canadian Tire.

LOL,Sounds like were running in a parallel universe. I got some of that Motormaster fuel stablilizer too when i picked up my heater, 5 something for a liter i put the Stabil back on the shelf.

Used the buddy heater today, the off/pilot dial is very finicky, it turned off a few times for no apparent reason (no waves, maybe slight wind). Not totally satisfied. the heat output dosn't compare to my $59 tanktop heater.

I agree with those tank-top heaters.Just have to be carefull when drinking too many warm Brandys and falling on the thing.,you would be sporting a funny looking tatoo

your insurance will be void if don't follow the very strict rules for propane on a boat. 1lbs bottles are not permitted period and larger ones have to be inside a sealed cabinet.

don't believe me call any marine surveyor

simply put yes. had my boat surveyed 2 years ago i asked about propane heaters since i owned a small buddy heater he told me the boat is uninsured if i use it. same goes for the "marine bbq" the propane has to be stored in a very specific way on a boat or you will be s.o.l if something happens.not worth the risk for me.

again you don't have to believe me just call and ask

I used one of the portable propane heaters for the past couple years (broke down and installed an Espar this fall) and the comment I received both from my insurance broker and marina was not to store it on the boat. The only comment I received with respect to using it on the boat was regarding personal safety (allow for air circulation) ... policy terms differ and insurance broker knowledge regarding policy terms differ and I may or may not have received bad advice.

Come on this is going to far. I think we are talking about a certain few number of people that that have some interest going out in winter. We may not be the smartest but we are not fair weather fisherman that already winterized our boats like some.... Maybe we can't all put Espar's in our boats but hey we are having fun rather then dreaming about it. If I was out every day I would buy a diesel heater but I only go out once in awhile during the winter. Propane is good enough for me and when I get home the heater comes out.

Come on this is going to far. I think we are talking about a certain few number of people that that have some interest going out in winter. We may not be the smartest but we are not fair weather fisherman that already winterized our boats like some.... Maybe we can't all put Espar's in our boats but hey we are having fun rather then dreaming about it. If I was out every day I would buy a diesel heater but I only go out once in awhile during the winter. Propane is good enough for me and when I get home the heater comes out.

FA - apologies if I wasn't clear ... I definitely wasn't suggesting diesel is the only way to go as I posted the Canadian Tire sale details for the Buddy Heaters further up for people's shopping reference. My Espar was a moment of financial weakness ... it wasn't a need but rather a want. The portable was very effective at taking the chill off. I just didn't leave it on the boat for both my and my marina's insurance reasons (no big deal for me) and I didn't operate it without leaving the window open a crack.

FA - apologies if I wasn't clear ... I definitely wasn't suggesting diesel is the only way to go as I posted the Canadian Tire sale details for the Buddy Heaters further up for people's shopping reference. My Espar was a moment of financial weakness ... it wasn't a need but rather a want. The portable was very effective at taking the chill off. I just didn't leave it on the boat for both my and my marina's insurance reasons (no big deal for me) and I didn't operate it without leaving the window open a crack.

All good...My post was not to any single one person. I have bought and used this heater for years with no problems and I remove it after every use and put it in my shop. Maybe I need to call my insurance to make sure the heater is safe in my shop... :)

we use the propane heaters out here alot in the winter. Portable icefishing shacks. I have 3 different ones, from the 1lb bottle type to the big buddy radiant heat type, which have been converted to 20lbers.
They're all safe, if used as intended.
Insurance on my place says I'm not allowed to store any pressurized or nonpressurized flamable gases in the garage that's attached to my house, good thing I built another out building for all my welding stuff!
Insurance covers it and the contents, because it is not attached.
They are working on limiting the amount of Gun Powder that I can have in my reloading room, (basement), but I believe that is fueled by the Federal govt'.

Back