Portable boat shelter.

Its that time a year again I have an awesome domed portable heavy duty boat shelter but the height is not high enough with new boat. I am looking for some clever idea to make at least 2 feet more on height of it... It already is already bolted to heavy cement pads...Just looking to see what has been done. The alternative is to sell and buy a different one which I would rather not do.

What about filling up 5 liter pails with concrete. Put them under the cement blocks.

I'm in the process of adding height to my shelter as well. I need 4' more as mine has cross ties and isn't arched. I'm using 5' lengths of 2" electrical EMT tubing to extend the 10 legs. The tubing will slide into the main legs with a 1/4-20 carriage bolt through both pieces with the factory foot pads on the bottom of the EMT extensions. If you can, buy it at an electrical wholesaler, cheaper than at Rona or HomeDepot. (Don't forget to double check the right diameter to fit into the existing legs)

I've also bought a length of plastic coated steel line (clothes line) from Princes Auto with some Crosby clips to extend to the hold down anchors. $0.02

Wyrguy Rick

ps: I bought my shelter from Costco online. It's 27'x13' made by King Canopy. Best prices and GREAT warranty IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using one from Costco for 10 years now I put in up in Oct and take it down in April keeps the boat dry, I have it placed on 6x6 timbers as the wind can lift it without. held up great to are 2 feet of snow last year:)

cheers

I'm in the process of adding height to my shelter as well. I need 4' more as mine has cross ties and isn't arched. I'm using 5' lengths of 2" electrical EMT tubing to extend the 10 legs. The tubing will slide into the main legs with a 1/4-20 carriage bolt through both pieces with the factory foot pads on the bottom of the EMT extensions. If you can, buy it at an electrical wholesaler, cheaper than at Rona or HomeDepot. (Don't forget to double check the right diameter to fit into the existing legs)

I've also bought a length of plastic coated steel line (clothes line) from Princes Auto with some Crosby clips to extend to the hold down anchors. $0.02

Wyrguy Rick

ps: I bought my shelter from Costco online. It's 27'x13' made by King Canopy. Best prices and GREAT warranty IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a winner. Thanks for that idea. I found 1 1/4 EMT galvanized tubing at Home Depot that will just replace my main poles they were exact same size they fit perfect and I am cutting them down as we we speak. They were 10 feet lengths..... Just have to cut pieces to size I wanted...Conversion under 100.00 to do.. Now it will be tall enough.

We have a winner. Thanks for that idea. I found 1 1/4 EMT galvanized tubing at Home Depot that will just replace my main poles they were exact same size they fit perfect and I am cutting them down as we we speak. They were 10 feet lengths..... Just have to cut pieces to size I wanted...Conversion under 100.00 to do.. Now it will be tall enough.
I did the exact same thing with electrical conduit. Raised mine about 4 feet by putting a 5 foot section inside the existing one and then putting a screw through it. I also found a second used Costco tent and added another section to it so now I have a 10 x 27 canopy. You could keep adding sections as only the ends are different. I also Used 2 x 6 to bolt the legs too. Used 5 -12 footers for the base at each upright (this spread it out wider and makes it a bit more stable) and then used 2 -14 footers on top of them each side. This creates an opening the whole length that you can run rope under to attached to a tarp. My original tarp went so bought a 30 x 50 from Princess Auto.
Will post photos tomorrow.

Yah I just did it tonight gained about three feet. Now I have room for my radar arch I wanted to build this winter and boat will be protected... Will also be putting a light in it...Was really easy..Although dome shelters are not that easy to modify by yourself once there in place...Lot of screwing around but frame is up.Will put top on tomorrow..

I had wished though I had got a metal one in beginning but they were over 2 grand when I looked..

Here are the pictures of how I did my shelter. I added another section to the back of it so it is about 27 feet long.
The pole extensions are electrical conduit. 2 1/2 inch lag bolts hold the base's and 2 x 6's together. The 2 x 6's keep it together and also so the wind wont blow it over. By putting the outside 2 x 6 on top of the cross board it creates a nice spot to run your rope through to hold the tarp down. I use a 30 x 50 tarp that seals both ends too.

Attachments

• IMG_5877 (Small).jpg
    IMG_5877 (Small).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_5879 (Small).jpg
    IMG_5879 (Small).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 345
Here is the one I made from Jim on the Nanoose hill. Solid and custom sized. PM me if you would like his #. He also had a websitehttp://www.customtube.com/

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 701
Yah I would ideally have got one of those but couldn't invest 2k...This is how mine turned out with the EMC tubing.... The EMC tubing just replaced existing tubes so I can make it taller. Each post is has hilti fasteners into a piece if 2 x 4 and into cinder blocks... It doesn't go anywhere.... I may have to be a little more cautious with snow loading with raising it.. Up here we get a fair bit of snow in Dec/Jan.... But I never leave more than a foot on it I always clear it off...

Worked out great now boats dry. Going to put a wet/dry light in and tell the family to get the junk out of the shed! It is funny haven't used since had new boat and everybody has piled/recycling etc in it... That is changing.

20141020_141054.jpg

Looks great SV. I agree, get that crap out of there. How dare they lol! That's your gal's space :).

Yes SV.....that looks Awesome, now all you need is a Couch,TV and a Beer fridge. :cool:

I have a Costco structure. The cover was good for year plus. I replaced the top with corrugated metal, for about $300 here in Calif. My boat is longer than the 20' structure, but get hold of an another one with a bad cover and you can use the middle connectors to add on length. 10' without cutting the tubes. Frame is great. Covers used to last longer, but seem to be thinner material now.

I have a Costco structure. The cover was good for year plus. I replaced the top with corrugated metal, for about $300 here in Calif. My boat is longer than the 20' structure, but get hold of an another one with a bad cover and you can use the middle connectors to add on length. 10' without cutting the tubes. Frame is great. Covers used to last longer, but seem to be thinner material now.
I like that idea, do you have a picture?

I will get one next boat visit. Boat is broke at the moment. Parts being ordered. Thrust bearing failed, and took out both stators and hosed impellers on jet drive.
I used self drilling screws to attach the sheet metal. I drove metal rods in to the ground to hold down the structure in winds. Rods were the rods you get at a construction supply house for making concrete forms.

Pictures of my modified Costco structure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 320
Just in the process of building a new portable garage for my boat. It was not tall enough or wide enough so I added 40" to the height and its 20"to its width it's now 12feet wide by 24 feet long and 11 feet tall should be easy for the thunderjet to fit now. Hope to have complete in the next day or 2

d4c81b3ab31ba2b310d5ce5ed0f90444.jpg

5d109428bb73cb894de220a46ec46ade.jpg

Back