Port Hardy Report

R

Rodbreaker

Duval Point Lodge – Fishing Report for Aug 27, 2003

Hello everyone and welcome to the fishing report for Aug 27. We have a new leader in our fishing Derby. Dean Cook of Naches, Washington is now the new leader with a 42 lb. Chinook caught at Castle Point last week using an anchovy at 65 feet. Dean and Barb have fished with us every year we have been open since 92, and they have caught many fish in the 30 – 38 lb range but this is the first over 40 lbs. Way to go Dean. (Two thumbs up!!) Deans fish and all its glory can be viewed on our web site.

http://www.duvalpointlodge.com/report.html

Chris Hostetler of Pullman Washington has been bumped back to second with his 40 lb. Chinook. Chris has sent us a picture of his fish and that also is up on our web site. Still a beautiful fish!

We have also received a picture from the Yahn’s stay with us at the lodge, and this can also be viewed at our web site.

The pinks are still in our area. This has been the longest I have ever seen them stay around. They showed up the first week of July and have stayed with us. Some of the pinks we are seeing are huge, up to 10 lbs. They put up a good fight and are fabulous fresh on the barbeque.

We are still seeing some nice Chinook coming in. On Tuesday we had a 40lb. Chinook hanging on the scales, caught by Mary Fleming of Gig Harbour Washington. Marty caught his Chinook at Castle Point. Most of the big springs caught this past week have been caught at Duval.

One of my long time friends came up the past weekend, Bill Wilson of Lantzville. Bill who also goes by the name of Captain Courageous (known for his midnight swimming escapades), or just Joe Hearts Player (for his lack of control in the card game) came to Port Hardy to do a little fishing. Captain Courageous, my son Cole and I headed out to Castle Point Saturday morning. We set up the rods and it was non stop action. We were into Coho, pinks and small springs for the first two hours and then the big one hit. Captain Courageous had a big fish on! All he could do was hold onto the rod as the fish headed for the bottom. Then it turned suddenly and raced toward the boat while Bill reeled in frantically. Once the fish caught sight of the boat he turned and dove down deep once more. Bill, needless to say, was pretty excited by this point. The fish did a few more heart stopping runs and then Bill had it ready to net. Bill now wants to be known as Tyee Bill, but he'll always be "Joe" to me. You can see a grinning Bill (or whoever he currently is) on the website with his fish.

Anchovies and cut plug herring have been most successful when fished at depths between 40 and 80 feet.

For those of you who are planning on fishing with us next year, please make your reservation early as we are filling up fast. Some dates for 2004 are already sold out and others have limited space.

Tight Lines

Tom Makinson

Duval Point Lodge

www.duvalpointlodge.com

250-949-6667

that's why there's a warranty!

Back