Port Hardy Commercial check in

C

CoastalGuy

At the Port Hardy Coast Guard dock 2 weeks ago I saw 2 gill netters (about 30' boats) were checking in their catch...about 20k lbs and still unloading according to the counter there... Later at Guidos coffee shop I talked with a guy who said he did that job once and the DFO quotas issued are depleting the fishery (ling and other ground fish) which he said in the Hardy area went up to the Charlottes.... With all of the closures everywhere the northern ground fishery seems to have been ignored. Question: Is this fishery going the way of the east coast fishery? Closing a lot of the southern waters and for that letting commercial guys pillage the northern stocks? Witnessing the unloading of gigantic bucket loads of these fish was alarming... shows how efficient a killing machine the commercial tech has become.

I can't understand what you mean, you talk about gillnetters</u> and then about Lings</u>-yet few Lings/groundfish are taken in gillnets anywhere.

So some local yokel sitting in coffee shop knows all about it?

I doubt that.[V]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

DB... Whatever the means of catch my question relates to the issue of harvest. Also some local yokels are the smartest folks I ever met particularly for matters in their local yokality.

...regards

quote:Originally posted by CoastalGuy

DB... Whatever the means of catch my question relates to the issue of harvest. Also some local yokels are the smartest folks I ever met particularly for matters in their local yokality.

...regards

your post makes no sense. Were they unloading lingcod, groundfish or salmon. And much to your surprise a lot of the commercial boats have been moving farther off shore because of the enourmous impact of the sports fishing sector.

Fish4all,

What is this enormous impact from the sport fishery?

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Fish4all,

What is this enormous impact from the sport fishery?

Sockeye;

The effort by the sports fish community over the last ten years has increased dramatically. The numbers of participants, the knowledge, the equipment being used (gps, electric downriggers, bait bags..) have lead to a fishery that has more than replaced the local commercial fishery. That coupled with little or no accountability by DFO is leading to local depletion. It is getting tougher and tougher to find fish and we are having to travel farther and farther to get them. Also the limits are way out of wack for the amount of people that are now accessing these fisheries. 30 spings, 2 coho every day it’s open, 200 prawns every day it is open, 1 hali every day….add it up. it is an incredible number of pieces being taken from the ocean. I realize that the largest effort is in the summer but with the increase in population in BC we have more and more people that are fishing year round.

add what up do you try aqnd put out that every sportfishing liscense gets 2 coho and 200 prawns plus 1 halibut every day its open let alone 30 springsin one yearhow aboutspendingtotalling millions of dollars and no fish at allfor the year.for the majority bof liscenses

apparantly in california gill netting is the way commercials fish for rockfish andling and sometimes halibutalsocheck google

quote:Originally posted by bee15

add what up do you try aqnd put out that every sportfishing liscense gets 2 coho and 200 prawns plus 1 halibut every day its open let alone 30 springsin one yearhow aboutspendingtotalling millions of dollars and no fish at allfor the year.for the majority bof liscenses
no bee i dont think the majority of licences fish every day. my point is that there has been a very large increase in effort with no reduction in limits so that means way more fish, prawns, cod are now being taken by the sports sector. couple that with little or no accountability and you are looking at a problem. Just read through the fishing reports on this site alone and see how people are making out. you cant tell me that fish are not being caught in huge numbers this year.

yes lots of fish are being caught but only by a select fewwhich doesnt add up to a whole lot more than were caught by bthose same liscenses any other year and those liscences dont get limits every dayeither im sure,perhaps only on a few very choice days on targetted speciesdepending on weatheravailability of fish etc.etc.i would say the more people fishing the more people who will care about the fish and vote for whoeverhelps them keep their hobby aliveand well like it is today.

quote:Originally posted by bee15

yes lots of fish are being caught but only by a select fewwhich doesnt add up to a whole lot more than were caught by bthose same liscenses any other year and those liscences dont get limits every dayeither im sure,perhaps only on a few very choice days on targetted speciesdepending on weatheravailability of fish etc.etc.i would say the more people fishing the more people who will care about the fish and vote for whoeverhelps them keep their hobby aliveand well like it is today.

what if alive and well today translates into lower limits due to increased participation?

thats what barbless hooks has done and over the years the limits have decreased dramatically for sportfishers the fishing is good because there are lots of fish not because ofelectronics or down riggers

Back