Port alberni sockeye

Nog.. just to let u know that this is recommendation of the Alberni round table process that all the sectors are sitting at.... All 3 groups have approved these opening and recommend to DFO....

Nog.. just to let u know that this is recommendation of the Alberni round table process that all the sectors are sitting at.... All 3 groups have approved these opening and recommend to DFO....

Yup, completely aware. Bit of a shame the greed factor wins out once again IMO.
A tad too early to unleash the hordes methinks.
Jeopardizes the run once again down the road...

And yet another not so cheery outcome...
Nog

Totally agree Nog!!! They have maybe gotten half of the spawners they need. I fear the opening, even for all three user groups is pre-mature.

Nog

As I don't sit on that process I will not commit... I do believe that round table has done a good job so far today....

I am sure the round table does good work and it is appreciated. I will admit I love sockeye fishing as much as the next guy, I just hope the opening isn't a little early based on the run they were expecting.

As I don't sit on that process I will not commit... I do believe that round table has done a good job so far today....

And I too believe that bye & large they do a good job here.
My concern is that with such low numbers, it may have been a little more prudent to put something of a "Safety Margin" up the river rather than pouncing the instant some magical computer generated number was achieved.

Hope this doesn't come back to bite them, and more importantly the fish, in the butt.

Nog

Hope this doesn't come back to bite them, and more importantly the fish, in the butt.

Nog

I think we all know the answer to that. Would be nice to see how much would return in 4 years in they allowed more then their escarpment goal.

Poor Chinook too won't be one left in the inlet after.

Oh yeah and in 4 years when nothing returns in will be poor ocean survival rates

Oh well fish em hard cus once they hit the river, they will be going to market cheep and not iced

Nog
Yup ... totally agree with you Nog

I think we all know the answer to that. Would be nice to see how much would return in 4 years in they allowed more then their escarpment goal.

Poor Chinook too won't be one left in the inlet after.

Oh yeah and in 4 years when nothing returns in will be poor ocean survival rates

Oh well fish em hard cus once they hit the river, they will be going to market cheep and not iced

have to ask...our u suggesting that a sockeye open is going to impact stamp river spring run

Chinook stalks have been increasing in a lot of areas or only slightly declining. While other stocks like pinks and sockeye have been on a sharp decline. If ocean survival rates and river temperatures are the main driving force then you would think the declines in all the stocks would be the same.

Chinook runs especially that are lake stabilized have been increasing so one could make the parallel, that the lack of sockeye fishery might be the cause but like always "way to many factors? at play

Imo, with all the sockeye closures everyone has been having over the last 10 years, It has helped chinook stocks everywhere. Same reason why I think the chum fishery hurts the Steelhead stocks. For some reason the chum fishery does not seem to impact the Summer and fall chinook runs as much.

I'm sure someone can provide some evidence on why we need to take more salmon always a lot of that going around

Just my thoughts, I am not trying to create "fake news:"

Folks the sockeye are open for angling in alberni inlet & from the reports I hear some good fish were caught today.... the round table process & DFO figured there would be enough fish to allow some limited angling on the run... if you chose to fish it great and enjoy.. if you don't that would be your chose & you are of course allowed to chose that as it is Canada and we are given the choice... happy Canada day to all :)

IMG_0778.jpg

Last edited:
They must be slaying them out there, bumped up the limit and opened the river

Where do I go to find out when the commercial guys are out. I'm hoping to be up there Sunday, Monday. But I don't want to go if the commercial guys are going to wipe it out before I get there. Thanks.

Back