Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Went out to the sound on saturday morning...launched in Port..ran the canal..lots and lots of logs and debris in the water. Started fishing at Diplock...found the bait and fish first thing...boated 3 fish in an hour and released a few more (fish were very low teens) Fished the head of King Edward..had a couple double headers released a few more and boated 3 more springs by 2pm. weather was great and so was the fishing. great way to kick off the first trip to the west coast

question that has eluded me after asking a few that SHOULD be in the know....is the inside of the broken group closed to all fin-fishing (salmon), or is a rock-fish conservation area? i only have fished the outside edges for years.. as i was cutting through this weekend i saw two boats fishing in thiepvel channel????

I have to give a big thanks to Seaton and Brad @ the SeabeamFishing Resort in Bamfield. After a very tough yet early opening this year thatin which myself and other members from this site were there for. These good guysoffered us a refund. After visiting this lodge for 20 or more years yes it wasa shock to me to go thru what we did over a week ago. But I have been assuredthat everything is in order. I plan my self to return. Seabeam has always beenan affordable and friendly place to tie up.

Thanks Guys,

Thats good news Owen. Good to see that customer satisfaction still means something. Kudos to the owners.
Cheers
CL

I'm planning heading up to Bamfield at the end of May - are the regs still the same - one over and one under?
Thanks,
Stosh

^^^lol. me niether

heres a few pics from the weekend. Got offshore both days but no halis for us.(not far off shore but in a 17 foot boat off shore is offshore!) caught a ton of lings and snappers and a fricking cabazon which was the craziest fish i have ever seen!. We had limits of salmon and released quite a few. twice released a fish at the boat once we saw the other fish as a part of a double header. mostly 12-20 lbers with a few over 20.. Green spoons, hoochies, etc. BY far the best in shore spring fishing ive done since being on VI.

P1010361.jpg

P1010362.jpg

P1010363.jpg

P1010366.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, easy limits of springs for the guys on the wall and at Kirby yesterday.

Stosh the slot restriction comes later in the season.

Osama,

Thanks for the info.

I usually get up there in August and there has for years been the one over and one under 67cm. Stupid rule as far as I'm concerned - anyway - when does come into effect again? Are most fish being taken on spoons and hootchies right now?

Thanks again,
Stosh

Osama,

Thanks for the info.

I usually get up there in August and there has for years been the one over and one under 67cm. Stupid rule as far as I'm concerned - anyway - when does come into effect again? Are most fish being taken on spoons and hootchies right now?

Thanks again,
Stosh

Yes, this time of year they are on needle fish inside so it is best to focus on small gear. Slot limit comes into effect in Aug - forget the date at moment.

hey osama long time budz well just wondering if its worth the run will are the hali still in close or movin offf an if theres anysalmon around let me know might run out your way in the am ...

Buddy reported that it had slowed a bit when he fished the wall yesterday eve but there were still fish. Might just have to move a bit to find em.

Back