Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Week end trip

Just got back from the Nook, 6 springs to 14 Pounds, caught at Cree, Mears Bluff, and Kirby, all on spoons just off bottom, one chicken Hali, at 7 mile, the other boat next to us got a 60 Hali, nice fish, prawning slow, some crab, all in all good start to get away for a few days

Was over at the Nook also --- just fished on Saturday --- one nice near the wall 18- pounds lost one other good same area all on Purple Haze

OBD and I fished a few hrs Sat afternoon--- two 10-12 lbers in the boat, two long range release. Sunday-- Fished 7mile for only one 20 lb chicken.. Headed in and hit a couple of fish off the "moaner" buoy, One in the boat. Moved around to Edward King to Kirby. Double header! But one released himself at the boat.. No matter, 10 min later another double header. Both in the boat. Biggest fish was close to 20lbs. All fought like crazy!

Sunday-- I had been battling a nasty cough that seemed to morfing into bronchitis.... The fishing "resort" (SeaBeam) we stayed at was damp, dirty, cold, roof leaked like a sieve., mildewy, a wood stove that wouldnt work because you cant burn wood saturated in water. So it was no wonder that I felt worse after trying to sleep!! But hey!! We were fishing and it WAS cheap.... although I heard on of the guys from another party say that SeaBeam should pay THEM to stay there LOL!!!!

Anyway, we fished for 3hrs this morning and pulled the pin. Man-- was I happy to get the truck heater on turbo!!! Some parts of getting old just suck... 35 years ago, a tarp,and a lean-to seemed to be all I needed. The bonus was three nice spring each and one butt, Daves boat and King Cods got into some nice springs and one hali that I know of-- Owen will be telling us how they did tomorrow when they head home,

Cheers
CL
(Drs appointment tomorrow afternoon so I can go back to being my normal cheery self)

Sorry to hear your experience at the beam was not stellar. Plenty of other Bamfield choices if you are looking for warmer accommodations...but you do get what you pay for. Great to hear that the fishing was solid. Looking to be a banner year!!

does anyone know the chinook forcast for this year there's alot of talk about sockeye but no springs thanks'

Its looking great. There are 200,000 surplus for harvest Chinook on WCVI. The mix of 4 year old fish will be higher, which will translate to larger fish generally. Some runs are strong while others are just OK like the Somas run.

wow, grapplers taking a beating.....too bad the owners of island fish camp couldnt make a go, on the other hand i am interested in a group buy of the 5.2 acres at the camp. i have 5 serious interested and need another 5. Then a strata lawyer to set it up. needs clearing, (and atco's demo), and a septic system ( est 45-55k per share). shares can be split privately once. probability of no year round living except for existing cabin which could be rented out to kick back to strata fund.

i know locals have different interests into what goes on in as in any quiet neighbourhood, pm if any concerns,, or interest in this post.

Sure Seabeam was Seabeam CL, But in the long run there were 29 springs, 4-5 hali's and other fish, crab and prawns taken. @ about $80 each plus fuel and lauch fees I would say I was OK.....

Sea Beam was haunted by Bob Hopes soul. We could hear him scurrying across the ceiling tiles while we were sleeping. His tears fell through ceiling and filled a large garbage can while we fished the day away. We were warm and suffered from smoke inhalation but used the the window as urinal due to the fear of running into the ghost of Bob in the hallway.

All jokes aside the trip went well! A couple of nice Halibut on salmon gear as well as 9 springs up to 18lbs. It was great to meet some new faces as well as some new fishing partners :)

KC

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Seabeam really that bad? Haven't stayed there for years and was thinking of going back but not sure now. Is it worth taking a chance?
Stosh

We fished Kirby on saturday and it was hot,ended up with 8 springs 25-10 lbs and quite a few lost.Green splatterback and black oilslick hoochies were the lure of choice.Spent saturday night at the nook and due to a little to much rye we didnt make it out for the sunday morning fish

hey guys,
any word on the sox? they moved into the inlet yet? headin over for a quick bday fish saturday morning and not sure to start with springs at kirby or try for sox somewhere

pamscamera364.jpg

pamscamera360.jpg

pamscamera357.jpg

I have to give a big thanks to Seaton and Brad @ the SeabeamFishing Resort in Bamfield. After a very tough yet early opening this year thatin which myself and other members from this site were there for. These good guysoffered us a refund. After visiting this lodge for 20 or more years yes it wasa shock to me to go thru what we did over a week ago. But I have been assuredthat everything is in order. I plan my self to return. Seabeam has always beenan affordable and friendly place to tie up.

Thanks Guys,

Back