Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

thx for the report Tyee , ya did well,,,

we'll be draggin sum gear this wknd ,

heard prawning is still hot too..

fd

Hey Felix, prawning was great. Lots of huge ones to be had. Stopped by the Nook to pick up some wood and building supplies, but you weren't there. Heard the reports from our buddies, but had to stay disciplined and get the job done...so all work no play for us. Got a few more weeks of fun and games on the cabin, house and boat before I'm free to play.

haha Pat

did ja rip off any pops from my fridge ??

ya the discipline thing may be an issue lol ,
we have alot of work to do as well ,1 day HARD , 2 days play..
weather sounds decent for the weekend , last outting with the little guy , go hit sum beaches for sum treats for the last time ,
Striper over in a couple weeks , start some more adventurous outtings , Can't wait

when ya over again.

fd

We would like to get back up and finish the solar system and paint the 2 sheds we made. My partner in the cabin is busy this week and weekend so it may have to wait until he is free in 2 weeks. I also have a few house projects that need doing so we can get the house on the market. Too much stuff going on and no time...and with over 200,000 chinooks up for grabs later this summer I want to be ready on all fronts.

Now if I knew there were some pops in that fridge you may have had a case of trailer rats raiding the fridge.

Inshore, last 2 weeks of August. Off Shore first 3 weeks of August. Huge Chinook run coming down the WCVI this year with over 200,000 surplus for harvest and lots of them will be 4 year olds = BIG fish. Whack em and Stack em

went out last weekend, got lots of prawns , fished the inside of south bank - nothing-- fished vernon after checking traps - nothing--lots of dead heads in the canal-the weather was tropical !!! heading out again this weekend - anybody been out??????????

Crash Report

Not alot of time for me on the water , busy workin , but , did get out for a couple of passes on Friday , Ken and I managed this 13lb in the first 5 min on a
afternoon fish in Yankee Bay , 122 on the rig in 125wtr , 3.5 in. irish cream kingfisher did the honours ,

word with a few comm'ys indicated it was fairly slow in the sound compared to the wknd previous , fish are there , just hit n miss , did see a few sox showin theselves , thara cumin ,

Prawning fabulous , crabbing is slow ( slow all season , weird )

thats it for the Little Ducker , Out comes the Striper ,
the Sound is awakening , it's in the air ,cant wait , see ya all's soon

later

FD

IMG00130-20110428-1825.jpg

still lots of prawns although theres alot of traps out there - saturday morning picked up a nice spring near the whistle buoy my wife was chumming when she netted it though and we had to go in got two more at kirby sunday morning and a shaker the fish are full of needlefish and one had a large eel in it which i took a pic of- i will post some later pistachio cuttlefish and a glow needlefish got'em had an awsome weekend the weather was good by sat lunchtime sun was tropical !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice catch LordoftheSprings - that eel you are holding is a species of Eelpout. I think it's a Bigfin Eelpout. They range from California to Northern BC and are usually found (on the bottom) in depths from 300' to 2000'. Apparently they grow to 18". Or it might be a Shortfin Eelpout. It's always interesting to learn about the diverse diets of Chinook Salmon.

So Fog Ducker ~ were those 'shiners' basically small perch? Must have been hungry!

Lots of eelpouts in the sound... Dragging shrimp we would pull the net and there would be thousands of the little buggers with just their head poking out..... pulling those things out was lame. :rolleyes:

SOCKEYE UPDATE!

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0390-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Sockeye Fishery - Area 23 - Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet

The pre-season forecast for Somass Sockeye is 600,000. The escapement requirement at this runsize is
371,000. At this run-size First Nations, recreational and commercial fisheries are planned. In consultation
with the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee and the Port Alberni Sport Fishing Advisory Committee it was agreed
that a recreational fishery for sockeye in Area 23 would occur as described below.

Effective immediately until further notice the daily quota for sockeye salmon in Area 23, Barkley Sound and
Alberni Inlet, will be two (2).

The Somass Sockeye in-season stock assessment program will operate as in previous years. This program
collects escapement, test-fishing, catch and environmental information on a weekly basis. This information
is used to prepare weekly in-season run-size reforecasts.

Fishers should be aware that the first in-season run-size re-forecast will occur on Thursday, June 30. The
recreational sockeye catch to that date will be reviewed in conjunction with the run-size reforecast estimate
to determine what management actions may be required.

Variation Order Numbers 2011-252 and 2011-253.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0390
Sent May 11, 2011 at 09:46
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

gees wasn't there an article in the Times Colonist last week, saying the alberni run was predicted to be 2.2 million?

That was the upper end of the forecast range, they use a couple of different forecasts to do it. 2.2M would be unreal, but prob not gonna happen.

Back