PORK butts on sale at Thriftys...

wolf

Just letting you fellow smokers and carnivores on here Thriftys have pork butts on sale again for a $1 a lb!!!!!!!!!! this is a AWESMOME deal......
I went to 3 different stores and picked up 5 of them to make sausage, roasts and hams out of them 120 lbs worth,
With the rind and fat I put thru grinder and then add bird seed to it to make my own suet blocks for the birds. The main bone I put in brine and smoke with the hams to save for later to make soup out of so everything gets used..the shank bone just left in for a bone in ham...
Did notice some stores said only ONE per person or 2 but just say where does it say that on flyer!!!!...

Have fun and good luck Wolf

Looks good I cut mine into 4 to 5 lb roasts and then wrestled them onto netting. then brine injected them all over the place and put them into 5 gallon buckets and topped up with brine.
in a week ill put in smoker and heat overnight then smoke!!!!! then cut netting off and glaze with honey and put in convection oven low and slow till it reaches safe temp, ill post pics later,
Tom sure hope you saved all that goodness in the bottom of pan!!!!

Good luck wolf

We had pulled pork sliders and coleslaw for supper. I fired up the vacuum sealer and put a dozen bags of pulled pork in the freezer after Supper.The pan juices(minus the fat) get added back into the soup I make from boiling the bones. Nothing wasted...
T2

My god that looks good. Hillside Thrifty's was sold out this eve but we did get 2 rain checks for 2 each. Hope a few more will post recipes for this meat. I hope to smoke some in the big chief, any suggestions would be appreciated. limit of 2 per person at Hillside and they will be getting more tomorrow morning. thanks for the tip Wolf

Tinboat--the key is to keep the temp at 220 or below. As I mentioned, I couldn't get my Bradley above 100 for the 4 hours I applied smoke so I finished it in the oven at 220. You are trying for an internal temp of 185-190 on the meat. Getting there took a full 24 hours in the oven but you can reduce that time by cutting the leg up into 3 pieces. I slice theskin off but leave some of the fat on, then squirt and rub ballpark mustard on and then pat on my favourite rub recipe. (The mustard helps the rub stick to the vertical surfaces of the meat)Halfway into the cook time I start misting the meat with a mixture of 2 parts apple juice to 1 part each of bourbon and maple syrup. The rub and the mist combine to give it that nice bark you can see in the photo.
Bon Appetit!
T2

Totally agree with you Tom hence why I cut mine into manageable slabs and then got some elastic netting from Stuffers, mines in a brine I created with Salt, brown sugar,garlic,cloves and honey,prauge powder. flipped the top ones over yesterday they have the nice pink color already ill post pics soon.....

This is a great recipe for injecting butts for pulled pork
Myron Mixon sweet pork butt injection
• 1 quart apple juice
• 1 cup distilled white vinegar
• 1.25 pounds sugar
• 1/2 cup salt
• 1/4 cup monosodium glutamate, such as Ac´cent brand flavor enhancer

Mix it all up in a pot, bring to a boil, then let cool

Got the leg all cut up like the lady in the video. Wolf, do I understand that you left it in the brine for a week? I am assuming this was in the fridge or outside in the porch with these temps in Victoria.

Attachments

• 20170107_143534_HDR_resized.jpg
    20170107_143534_HDR_resized.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 30
Bondo - it looks like you got a smoking tube from a motorcycle part, same as me! They sure work great in your BBQ for added smoke.
T2

I have a walk in cooler to hang game etc but its at 30 right now so dont even need to have it on
just added the bones to brine today as ill be doing them as well and smoking them too for making soup stock. with that "hock" piece you have You can do a bone in ham thats what i do you can cut with a saw or just cut away on the cartilage a lil bit of fineness and it separates

Working in a profession sausage shop defiantly helped in every aspect of this venture..
post pics soon

I have the use of a Bradley smoker for this. What flavor pucks would you guys recommend? I would think most local stores would carry just the basic flavors. any store suggestions? Thanks. looking good in the brine.

I use hickory for pork leg and brisket, alder for fish and apple or cherry for duck and chicken
T2

Back