Poor Guide Got shafted

Fishing Guide Nets $11,100 in Fines

February 24, 2009
Duncan, B.C. – A Port Renfrew fishing guide pled guilty to three separate charges of illegal fishing under the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations and was fined $11,100 in Duncan Provincial Court November 7, 2008.

As a result of an undercover operation by officers from Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Mr. Russell John Hicks was charged and convicted of unlawfully fishing during a closed time (on July 13 and September 13, 2007) at Swiftsure Bank near Port Renfrew, B.C. He was also charged for illegally fishing for salmon with barbed hooks on July 16, 2008, again in the vicinity of the Swiftsure Bank.

Mr. Hicks, who had previously been convicted for fishing during a closed time in the same area as well as for fishing for salmon with prohibited gear, was ordered by the Court to pay three fines. Judge Josiah Wood handed down two fines of $2,500 for each of the two counts of fishing during the closed time in the Swiftsure Bank area in 2007, of which $4,500 was directed to the San Juan Enhancement Society to enhance chinook and coho salmon. The third fine, for $6,100, was for fishing for salmon with prohibited gear. These monies were directed to the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society to support their efforts in rebuilding local salmon stocks.

An unmarked fisheries vessel and undercover officers investigating unlawful fishing activities near Swiftsure Bank were both used to gather evidence that led to the convictions. DFO fishery officers observed activities on the vessel, Swiftsure Fishing Charters, that included fishing and catching salmon on two separate occasions in the area of Swiftsure Bank that was closed. Closures help provide sanctuaries and support the conservation and rebuilding of stocks that are under fishing pressure. Enforcement is conducted by regular patrols of these waters in rigid hull inflatable boats, unmarked vessels, and DFO patrol aircraft, all of which utilize the latest technology in radar and GPS navigational equipment.

DFO acts to end illegal fishing activity. As part of this work, the Department asks the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.

- 30 -

oops...my wife is related to him - that's gotta sting (although the males of the family have often been fishing rebels, so not a surprise!)

Deewar, is he (and your wife) anyhow related to the famous Hicks family in Duncan? Bruce Hicks one of the members? Just curious...

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Deewar, is he (and your wife) anyhow related to the famous Hicks family in Duncan? Bruce Hicks one of the members? Just curious...

Notta...they used to run a lodge out of Bamfield, then shifted to Sooke to Renfrew - sister runs the coastal kitchen in PR, dad not sure - was guiding in Sooke, maybe still

fishondock-ds.jpg
boat-04-ds.jpg

\Must keep eye on government auction sites for this boat [:p]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I always wondered how those tyee lodge boats did so well ;)

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

I always wondered how those tyee lodge boats did so well ;)

Take only what you need.

I remember meeting Jim Hicks of Tyee Lodge at a Fishing/Boat show in Vancouver once after I'd seen him on TV talking about the state of fishing and who was responsible (DFO!).

He was making a name for himself selling cheap Halibut trips out of Bamfield.

He was promoting his lodge, but also selling homemade Halibut pipe jigs for $10 each. At another show, he was talking about how, when he returned home, he had so much cash he could barely put it in his pockets! He had over $1,000 in tens and twenties!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

It was Mike and Liz Hicks owned Tyee. I used to guide for them back when the lodge was just getting started. Those Raider Boats were cold, wet, rough riding and noisey, I have hated CC's since:)

Mike sure was a talker!!!! He would try to sell sand to a Saudi and would would not take no for an answer. He used to get the customers so worked up about the fishing that when we went out the clients expected fish to be jumping in the baot and would be so disappointed if the fish were not tyee's. Used to Pi$$ us off, so we would tell the clients that Mike gets dilusional when he is off his Meds:D

Mike and Liz split and she got the Lodge, not sure if she still owns it.

I believe he went north for a while, then to Stuart island and now in PR.

is Russell their kid???

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

It was Mike and Liz Hicks owned Tyee.

Cheers

SS

You are right - it was Mike. Sorry, I confused the name with a Jim Hicks I know in California who fishes here in Tahsis - No relation I'm sure.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

It was Mike and Liz Hicks owned Tyee. I used to guide for them back when the lodge was just getting started. Those Raider Boats were cold, wet, rough riding and noisey, I have hated CC's since:)

Mike sure was a talker!!!! He would try to sell sand to a Saudi and would would not take no for an answer. He used to get the customers so worked up about the fishing that when we went out the clients expected fish to be jumping in the baot and would be so disappointed if the fish were not tyee's. Used to Pi$$ us off, so we would tell the clients that Mike gets dilusional when he is off his Meds:D

I believe he went north for a while, then to Stuart island and now in PR.

is Russell their kid???

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

That's correct SS (re russ) - I don't believe Liz still has the lodge - she is now on Denman Island. Is Mike in PR now, or still in Sooke? Think I've only met him once or twice, but usually see Liz at the family reunions.

I'm in no way standing up for Russ,but before everybody starts s**t mouthing Mike remember he is always one of the first people to fight for all our rights as Canadians to be able to sport fish.
He spent thousands of his own money andwent rite to the supreme court to get coho open on the west coast.
He is on his own program for sure but he is a guy who has had a huge impact on the industy.

She sold the lodge a couple years ago. I did some guiding for the new owners ;) Apparently some welder got killed by the boat I ran or something from what I heard.

Take only what you need.

I'm not the least bit sorry he was caught. Crap like that gives the rest of the sport fishing community a bad name. If we play by the rules no one gets hurt.

Back