Poll - Sport Fishing and Salmon Stocks

quote:Originally posted by fishman69er

Well after scrollin through the post ...and some of the most ridiculous remarks that i have ever seen ...to make my point with out goin to much into a rant as i have been known to do, i think the only chance the sport fishery has is enhancement, its funny how nobody suggested that...

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Here's an idea: How about figuring a better way to connect catching salmon with enhancing their numbers? A start might be to actually spend the money collected for salmon tags on salmon enhancement. It's my understanding that the Feds simply take the money from salmon tags into general revenue.

quote:Originally posted by fishman69er

Well, to tell the truth i didnt read one of the links that have been recently posted because i know exactly what they say, one says, FISH FARM BAD

quote:Originally posted by Alexander Pope

To err is human, to rant divine
;););););););):D

Goldstream River ya I go so far back that I used to catch awesome steelhead their,before Merriam blabed in the Colonist, used to catch six pound blue backs in April @ halls boat house and used to catch fifty and sixty pound haly regularly off Swiftsure Bank, Now I see six to eight pound haly frames littering the bottom off PRM docks!(for years} What is that!!! Oh ya almost forgot, make sure you fill the kill limit, right!. Looks good eh!!!! Makes me sick to call myself a sports fishermen.Ya Guides fishin the closed areas of Swiftsure. DFO ( not all,! we no who you are!} just slappin wrest Ya maybe the time is right to now to close Swiftsure to all Finn fish. We need to end the slaughter !people. Sorry I just get a little pissed about sporties, guides and {Americans crossing the border with no Canadiian licence and driveing back to Neah Bay raping the resource. Just my two cents. Oh by the the way I do have respect to individuals who practice catch and release and leave the little halys alone.[?][V]

Red why am i not surprised that you where the one to make a comment to my post, well i cant really say that i even understand what the post is tryin to say as the quotes that you have posted are from a different topic all together, and, if you are goin the post quotes, will you please put the whole quote or even enough that the readers get the point of the post, not just what YOU want them to see, as for you suggestin the enhancment road well i am sorry that i missed that on the thread, i had a few pops when i scrolled through the posts last night,or mabye it was that i saw your handle and just went right on by LOL, but i am glad to see that we are in aggreeance over the enhancement idea, because at this stage in the game that is the ONLY thing that is goin to work, thanks, ensure the future C&R

myself , i`m willing 2 try , ensure are future fishery D,E. even if people don`t agree it`s are duty 2 do are part even if it`s a small part . we all gotta give , fn , commercial , sporty.ya just can`t keep taking or it will be gone gone gone. hope that day never comes. scottyboy

Fahcups-I agree.Time to stop the Swiftsure meat market.I have watched the constant limits of sole-sized hali coming in for years and wondered how long it can possibly continue for as well.If not close it down completely(for bottomfish), at least reduce the daily limit AND have a 20 pound(in inches)minimum retention.(Of course we would need a government body to actually enforce these regs.)This is just one location (of many)that we NEED to have more enforcement on.With the number of yanks fishing it(you know with that kind of bill for fuel,possibly a Can. license ect.ect.,they're going to be packing back as much meat as they possibly can),with the closed area and just the amount of fish availlable, there needs to be more enforcement than this joke of a deterent we have now.I fish halibut in Jaundefuca and have noticed my numbers drop in the last few years-can't help but wonder if it is directly related to this plundering up the strait.

C) Close all retention in and near Chinook spawning rivers

I see pictures of people with these monster springs that are ugly as could be, i know they aren't going to eat it[xx(]but they keep them anyways, i figure once the fish are sniffing the fresh water they should be left be.

One more point i think if there were more hatcheries that we would see more fish in rivers, half the springs i caught this year were hatchery fish. Any decent stream idealy should be able to have fish sucessfully spawn in them.

I agree with C they made it to the river leave them alone. also D , limits are to hi for a good future ,and it wouldn't hurt to have more hatcheries . The meat market has to stop at Swiftsure , limit number of finfish as well.Leave the little hali's yes (say under 10 lbs) but also big hali's over say 100 lbs , who wants to eat those big buggers anyways .There has been the talk about the native fishery and endangerd runs ,they talk about respecting the land ,what about respecting fish runs aswell .

keeping halibut under 10 lbs is ridiculous.
keeping them when they are 300lbs is ridiculous.
if you just threw back the little ones soon enough they'd be a much better size.And the huge halis are needed for reproducing those 7 million eggs they got in em.

enough said?

quote:Originally posted by totally tyee

Well folks, I was sitting here doing some thinking about the never endeing BAD NEWS that we keep hearing over and over again about our precious west coast salmon stocks.

With so many stakeholders such as the commercial fishing industry, the sport fishing industry, the native fisheries, and several others there is a constant pounding on the fish stocks. Not to mention the terrible weather that is washing out the reds in the rivers.

I thought I would pose a question to you guys. I know there are so many other factors that contribute much more to the demise of the stocks but for the purpose of answering this question lets just think about the sportfishing aspect of things. And lets just pick Chinook and focus on them.

Lets face it, our precious salmon stocks aren't doing so well.

Which of the following options would you support as sportfishers to help sustain and/or re-build our salmon stocks?

A) Close the winter spring fishery until stocks can improve
B) Go back to the 1 under / 1 over rule
C) Close all retention in and near Chinook spawning rivers
D) Lower day and poss. limits to 1 and 2
E) No retention of Chinooks for 1 year (similar to previous coho)
F) No change, everything is fine

What do you guys think? hopefully this can spark some discussion over these sad winter months.

TT

I go with B, C and D.

Furthermore, I advocate more fisheries officers, and the electronic checking of licenses during the season. Meaning...there would be "punching" of licenses at the border, and at the entrance of roads..ie the entrance of the logging road at Port Alberni, etc.. and putting in "punching" stations on roads where fish size, and quantities are confirmed. (prevents Americans from feeding the entire family lineage and friends families etc). Lose your license 1 time only during the year.

I advocate the increase of size limits to 70 cm coastwide for Chinook and the release of all Wild Coho Coastwide...North Coast included... (after all, this is about sport..the bigger the fish, the greater it's chance of getting away.

I also advocate the NON RETENTION of all Chinook Salmon over 42" length measured from fork of the tail to tip of the nose.

Now I suspect my proposals are going to rile up a lot of people on the boards...but if you guys want to go to a highly regulated fishery like California and Oregon...we can just trundle along with innocuous changes to the the regs..and eventually have a SUCKY fishery like they do down there where wild salmon are a fiction. The fishery down there says during what hours, what days, and for how long you can fish. Possession limits and daily bag limits are so small that only the truly dedicated keep going.

If we don't come up with some far reaching resolutions the coast over in the next few seasons...we're toast.

Other measures implemented simultaneously with the above:

I propose is the buyback of 40% of commercial salmon fishing licenses (troll, seine, and gillent) by 2011.

Limited commercial fishing opportunities in rivers (more so than now)

Reducing native fishing opportunities to 75% of current levels and a 200% increase in Native fisheries enforcement on the Fraser River. Severe and strict penalties debilitating fishing abilities for the law breakers.. and the convicted---every race included.

Increasing the cost of licenses.

Of course, all these great conservation measures would surely impact economics for people earning their bread and butter in the industry. I would advocate favorable tax advantages for those involved in the sport fishing industry.

The promotion of eco-tourism, habitat restoration, and other conservation related activities.

Now, of course I've thought about all the bickering my ideas would cause..racism this, racism that. My ideas would make the enjoyment and accessibility of the sport "exclusive" to the "rich" and reduce opportunities...etc. etc. etc..

Well..in 40 years, catching a 15 lb fish will be like catching a 30 lber now.

I can see a lot of dead 40" chinook going back in the water after being netted and mesured.In barclay sound i have seen so many dead chinook go back in the water with that one over one under rule.Its like DFO puts no thought into their decisions sometime.

I agree with a bunch of what you said there fishin Magician. With that in place we would have a great hog fishery back in place and many of those could finally get down the coast. I do see that there would be alot of messy netting then releases by fisherman. The fact is that a big spring has a better chance at survival by a sloppy release that by a club over the back of its head.

quote:Originally posted by tyee2112

I can see a lot of dead 40" chinook going back in the water after being netted and mesured.In barclay sound i have seen so many dead chinook go back in the water with that one over one under rule.Its like DFO puts no thought into their decisions sometime.

I said 42 inches, not 40 inches...

I picked 42 inches, as that puts most any fish over 34 lbs back in the water for mandatory release, and that's assuming a relative average.

Honestly...why kill a 35 when you can take a gorgeous 24 lb spring?

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

I picked 42 inches, as that puts most any fish over 34 lbs back in the water for mandatory release, and that's assuming a relative average.

what i meant by 40" was people bringing them in the net and then throwing them back trying for that one just a little bit bigger
seen it happen a lot with the over under rule.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

what i meant by 40" was people bringing them in the net and then throwing them back trying for that one just a little bit bigger
seen it happen a lot with the over under rule.

Ah..in that event then let's move the measurements down to 41 inches...it'll be VERY apparent to most when they get a fish on that size. They could set up a sticker fish rule...like those ones already out there, tape it on your gunwales..and you can EASILY see if it's going to be legal or not.

The sick part of it is that it's precisely those people that we need to keep tabs on. I don't know about you guys, but I have yet to see a fisheries officer check me in better than 7 years in the chuck. 7 years?! What's going on? Even though I do everything by the book, I'd still like to see indication of what the hell is going on!

It's highly unfortunate that a systemic problem like this exists. It's going to cost us dearly.

This problem hurts us dearly..and I know it has already impacted my enjoyment of the sport...as there are days we should have been catching left, right, and center...but there are no fish.

The problems are already visible too in the Charlottes,and if it's visible where fish are literally everywhere...then surely the problem is much more amplified and apparent when they split up?

Yikes.

Great posts here. Most of the points you guys have mentioned have been on my mind a lot lately. I spend most summers in Renfrew and seeing the 10lb halis coming in makes me sick. Although seeing a 200lb hali being sliced up is much worse. A few years ago I released a 260lb hali so I can walk the walk on this one. As for catch limits I agree with 10 being plenty. The major issue though seems to be ocean survivability. Most fish are not returning to spawn and that is a bad sign. The native issue is never going to go away as long as no one is willing to take the issue on. Although I am sensing a change in attitudes amongst Canadians now with regards to Natives. Although they are definately not the sole culprits the massacres on the rivers are a tradgedy for sure. My fear is that we will discuss this over and over however at the end of the day we will talking about how fishing used to be great on the west coast. ALmost like talking about Goldstream in it's glory days. Sigh.....

Do you think that any of the people who make the decisions have ever looked at this site? There are some great suggestions here. and coming from people who would loose something but are willing to do it to help the fishery. Is it worth trying to make them aware of this site? How would one do it?
I just thought that if they could follow along , and were to be willing to have a open mind, they might get some ideas to take to some of their meetings. They might even have some questions to ask ,from some of the people who really know what is going on.

Back