Podding

Wwunder

So... As discussed in another thread, my i/o seized and I'm now planning to pod it instead. The boat is a malibu 185 hardtop.

I have lots of decisions to make and could use some advise. I have been talking to the Pod guy in Sooke (Rich) and he seems ok and has some recent reviews on here. He will pull the motor and drive if I want, but would keep the parts as compensation. Its a Volvo SX drive in really good shape so its bloody expensive in parts, but there seems to be little demand for them these days. So if anyone knows someone in the market for this stuff let me know.

Also, looking for a fourstroke outboard. From reading on here it seems a 140 or 150 HP is best. I have seen a few malibu 182's with 115 hp, but i'm not sure how well that would translate to the 185 with a pod. It seems there is big price jump from 115 to 150 so it would be interesting to hear from people with experience.

Thanks!

Hi Sparrow, its a 3.0L GS 4cylinder. I think the ratio is 1.97:1. I can check tonight if you think it would work. Everything is still installed in the boat so anything you might use is available.

My hull which is the same as yours was a dog with a 150 when we first podded.

My hull which is the same as yours was a dog with a 150 when we first podded.

I bet your at 15k at least to do this just make sure you love that boat.. I researched it last year....In boards staying on my 185. I suppose in your case a conversion to mercruiser is a nightmare? I run the 3.0L and its more than enough power. I think a brand new on leg everything is less than 7k.

If you do it do it right get a full pod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree the 150 would be enough..The Malibu may be a little lighter than185DE as it is a lot newer/ top is different.....Shermanator in the end how much did you dump on conversion?

Thanks for the feedback guys... I'm hoping to have this done under $10k with a used fourstroke motor. I'm certain that 150 would be plenty as its more than the old 4cyl motor. I was considering as low as 115, but it might be borderline.

Shermanator, your boat looks awesome! What pitch prop are you running?

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Hey spring, I really tossed this one around, but rebuilding or a new longblock and new manifolds would run over $5k in parts plus Labour to get her put back together. I never liked the noise and vibration of the inboard and I used my previous boat (outboard) year round. The inboard is too much trouble to rewinterize over and over again. If the motor was salvageable I have would have stuck with it, but the time is now to pull the trigger and go with the pod.

It can be done for a lot less than 15k. It all depends on the power you choose. The pod will be around 2500-3k to have built and installed. From there you will have to figure out the steering which for me was new seastar hydraulic system at around 1100 bucks. There's cheaper options but i liked the hydraulic system so i went with it. After that it all comes down t ok the amount spent on the motor. I had a hard time finding decent used power. Everything i could find had a lot of hours and prices were crazy. I found a couple motors with low hours but they were at the end of their warranty and priced only a couple thousand less than new. No way i was going to do that so i went with a new motor and full warranty. Its a lot of money but sure is nice having that new motor hanging off the back of the boat. The rest of the build is pretty easy. For me i had to redo my dash pannel and close the hole in the floor etc. I did all of the work myself and it wasn't very hard. I realize i will never get back what i spent and im ok with that. I now have a boat that i know well and it has been a lot of fun to build and fish out of. Sure don't miss the old i/o!

Thanks for the feedback guys... I'm hoping to have this done under $10k with a used fourstroke motor. I'm certain that 150 would be plenty as its more than the old 4cyl motor. I was considering as low as 115, but it might be borderline.

Shermanator, your boat looks awesome! What pitch prop are you running?

Im running a 3 blade 19p stainless solas prop. It was what the Yamaha dealer recommended and it seems to be perfect.

Hi Tug, No it is not being closed. Based on the recommendation of a couple of the pod builders I contacted they feel its unnecessary. It will be covered by a solid plate and through bolted all around.

Hi Tug, No it is not being closed. Based on the recommendation of a couple of the pod builders I contacted they feel its unnecessary. It will be covered by a solid plate and through bolted all around.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that before. I don't know anything about it but love reading about people doing it. I was under the impression the leg hole always got glassed in first.

I know many people have filled theirs, but a couple of the installers i spoke with felt it unnecessary. Compared to all the failure points on the outdrive, I couldn't imagine it being any worse so i went with their recommendation.

Back