Pod for a 24' Trophy?

Striker

Hello

Been looking at buying a 24' Trophy with the Alaskan Pilot House. It needs a motor and outdrive replacement, so I was wondering if this boat was a good candidate for a pod and outboard instead. I have no experience with this type of mod and would need it built and installed in the lower mainland.
Can anyone recommend doing this and know of someone who can build it for me? How much money should I budget for?
It would sure add deck space.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Attachments

• Trophy.jpg
    Trophy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 881
  • Troph2.jpg
    Troph2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 946
I think it would be a great boat for a pod if the transom is solid, I think you can get a pod done up for around 2-3 grand, so depends on how much you want to throw into it, and if its structurally sound enough to support it,

I've got one on a 21 trophy with the Alaskan bulkhead,works great with a 200hp Evinrude.I plugged the old outdrive hole,so any work on transome was done then!As mentioned,a good look at the transom and stingers would be advised

I would suggest giving Pawel @ Streamline Boats a call. Located just off Golden Ears way in Maple Ridge. He did a great job building my bracket, but I have seen some excellent pods he's built as well. A full pod with swim grid built to match will start around 3k i believe but don't quote me, that's his business lol. His accent is thick but if you can get through that he is a great guy to work with.

You can always rebuild the transom and also the stringers if you need to. It will be a lot easier and cheaper if you don’t need to or just need to do the transom.

There are a lot of people with the fabrication and welding skills to build you a pod. What is equally important and likely more so, is how much experience, knowledge, education, qualifications and skill they have in deciding if your hull is a good candidate and in designing one, especially with a pod extension that will extend the boats waterline.

For example; you will be making your hull longer but not wider. This will likely decrease side to side stability but likely increase fore/aft stability. Think of a canoe which already has little side to side stability. Make it longer but not wider and there is more surface area for a wave from the side to act upon and possibly roll it. I suspect the beamier the hull is to begin with the more you have to work with. I know little about this but I suspect you will find there are a great many factors that go into choosing a good hull candidate and in the design of the pod extension for that particular boat and the new motor configuration, flotation, weight distribution, center of gravity etc. and I suspect some compromise will be involved.

I understand good decision making and design results in a good boat but bad decisions and design can be a nightmare resulting in a lot of money being spent on a boat which may be unstable or even does things like porpoise under power.

You may want to consider all this when you are looking for someone to advise you, design and build you a pod. If it were me I would be looking for a company that builds boats, has a marine engineer/architect, professional accountability, insurance and considerable experience and a good track record in designing and building pod extension boats and in adding them to an existing hull. You are going to spend a lot of money on this project, you want it done right.

A good pod installed be about 4 grand and then you will need to do something with the ol doghouse/floor and some fiberglass work done as you want it done RIGHT.
A new motor well that depends anywhere from 2 grand to 20 grand and then you will have to get new steering/controls/wiring/sleeves/bilges/ because if your going into it must as well get both feet wet about 35 grand should do......and that depend if you have to hire someone or you can do it yourself....
BTW wheres the engine and leg?? and what are they...

wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys. I also have the option of replacing or re-building the existing motor and outdrive. This would be cheaper.
Lot's to think about before I buy this boat.

Joe

Striker....since I just went through all of this.

Basic Pod = $2-4k
Full Pod = $4-7k
single outboard to power 24' boat = 18-28k depending on size and if rigging is included, if new
steering for outboard = 1k

Rebuilt Inboard = max 4k
New Inboard = 10k
New leg= 1500-3k each
New assembly= 1500-3k

There is a ton of other small costs when going inboard to outboard. That is the route I went. It was more expensive but I am happy with my choice.

(leg and assembly may be good in the boat you are looking at, but if its all junk these are some of your major costs.)

Best of luck with your decision.

Striker....since I just went through all of this.

Basic Pod = $2-4k
Full Pod = $4-7k
single outboard to power 24' boat = 18-28k depending on size and if rigging is included, if new
steering for outboard = 1k

Rebuilt Inboard = max 4k
New Inboard = 10k
New leg= 1500-3k each
New assembly= 1500-3k

There is a ton of other small costs when going inboard to outboard. That is the route I went. It was more expensive but I am happy with my choice.

(leg and assembly may be good in the boat you are looking at, but if its all junk these are some of your major costs.)

Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks, those numbers will be very helpful.

They are asking around $4,500 for the boat as is.

Joe

if you want a good engine rebuild pm me and ill chat with you if your boat can handle a 425 hp 383 stroker let me know ....

If it were me, I wouldn't go there. There's too many unknowns.

You're looking at spending $24,000 on up (plus sweat equity) for a pod and engine which has the potential of not working out as well as you would like. Even if it does turn out well, what's the boat resale value? I bet not what you put into it.

My advice is to look for a boat that is already set up the way you would like.

If it were me, I wouldn't go there. There's too many unknowns.

You're looking at spending $24,000 on up (plus sweat equity) for a pod and engine which has the potential of not working out as well as you would like. Even if it does turn out well, what's the boat resale value? I bet not what you put into it.

My advice is to look for a boat that is already set up the way you would like.

Very good advice.

Thanks

Joe

after podding my last 3 boats my advice to you would be to find one allready done,you'll save a lot of cash buying a turn key boat versus building it yourself

Re-building the motor and outdrive are not possible. The lower leg was stolen and the motor is missing too many parts and what's left is way to rusted out. So I would have to buy a engine and outdrive to match. The boat itself is about a 7 out of 10. The trailer is a 9 out of 10, a 2002. The hull looks nearly perfect but the interior is rough. The head liners show signs of mould. The electronics are very old including radar all of which must be replaced. So for the price of $4500, is the boat worth the effort?

Honestly if it is just a hull and trailer, 2500 tops. Even though its a nice hull with no electronics or engine or a descent interior it has no value. Your looking at a minimun 6-7k for a good used drivetrain(I/O), 1k min for some new basic electronics, 1500 for a cheap interior(foam, fabric...you do lots of the work) and then the unknowns. So 8500 plus 2500 you got 11k into a boat worth 12k, but you havent added in the unknowns such as wiring, structual... add in a couple hundred hours fixing and searching for parts and pieces. I have been looking for a project but I am going to buy a useable boat that needs updating so atleast I have a starting point.

Re-building the motor and outdrive are not possible. The lower leg was stolen and the motor is missing too many parts and what's left is way to rusted out. So I would have to buy a engine and outdrive to match. The boat itself is about a 7 out of 10. The trailer is a 9 out of 10, a 2002. The hull looks nearly perfect but the interior is rough. The head liners show signs of mould. The electronics are very old including radar all of which must be replaced. So for the price of $4500, is the boat worth the effort?

Is worth it? Well, do you like working on boats or do you like fishing? lol. Not a chance that you could pay someone to do the repairs and install on of a new motor, interior and electronics for less than a comparable turn key boat. It will never make sense financially that route.

If you do ALL the work yourself it might make sense but only just barely i.e. a few thousand cheaper than buying a used boat in better shape. My estimate would be 15k to get that boat up to ship shape with a rebuilt inboard. That's assuming the stringers, transom and hull are not in need of repair. That's also assuming you can do a lot of the work yourself.

Of course it is rewarding to complete a project of this magnitude yourself.

Cheers

Back