Pod for a 23 Ft Hourston

casper5280

Crew Member
Thinking of podding the old Hourston this year. The boat needs a bit of work this year so will be taking the year off and doing work to her. Transom has a bit of rot in it and I want way more power. Thinking of getting rid of the inboard/outboard (351w and Volvo 280 leg)and putting on a pod and outboard. Any thoughts on doing this and would like to know what people think regarding keeping the inboard/outboard and stroking it VS podding and an outboard. What about outboard size, I'm thinking 225Hp++. Also any suggestions on pods, what you like about them, what you don't like. Features you would add to the pod. Who would you get to build it. Any features you like or would have done when building it. Thoughts on, or could you get built to hold twins or a single. Meaning could it be built to hold twins at a later date and just mount a single and a kicker to start. Things to look out for or things to look for. I know that there is lots of people that have podded their boats, but I don't personally know any of them. I'm just in the planning stages and building a structure to cover the boat while all the work is being done. I sure I will have a million question as this project progress's. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I would also like to thank those that have posted there projects and mods to their boats. It gives all of us great ideas for your own rigs and tips to repair them. I personally have contacted many on this site and information has been given up freely. Thanks

Thats a beauty of a boat, as much as I am a fan of pods and outboards I think a re-power with a newer or new volvo 5.7 efi with a dual prop you would be set for years to come and have a tonne of power. The big factor is do you like the fishing space you have with a doghouse?

It works but that is a lot of real estate wasted. I'm just trying to keep costs to a minimal as I'm sure there is going to be lots of hidden treasures to come. I'm going to remove the leg and motor, cut the rear floor out, then cut the old transom out and I'm sure the stringers are going to need work. I've never done any fibre glassing but have watched a million youtube videos and have a few friends that have done some, so I have some idea of what I'm up against. I love the boat so that is why I'm even thinking of repairing it otherwise it would be gone. My motor could use a rebuild and I want a lot more power that's why I thought about the stroker.

My boat had a new engine (stren drive)when I bought it 5 years ago but I will struggle with this dilemma when it's due. I think podding is a great idea and gives you so much more room but I believe it will cost substantially more than a repower of the existing unit.
Alberni fisher should have some solid #'s for you to go by and definitely take him up on his offer to view and potentially sea trail.

Albernifisher I have been thinking about hitting you up for a look's see. Just need the time to get up there. Just finished some work on the shelter for the boat today. 12' wide, 14' high and 32' long, I have a wall built to close in the back and have some high pressure sodium lights still to mount on the peck of the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 770
Either way you go IMHO you need at least 300 hp. You can price out a merc or Volvo 5.7 EFI crate motor and what ever leg you want and compare to twin 150-175 outboards and pod construction. I love my 350 MAG but if I chose to pod I'd go twins for sure. Pretty sure I haven't helped you a bit here. Lol.

Interesting how about a step by step write up as you go along.

Will do. Just have to get a bunch of paying work out if the way before I start. Believe me it won't be as quick or as professional as Albentifishers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way you go IMHO you need at least 300 hp. You can price out a merc or Volvo 5.7 EFI crate motor and what ever leg you want and compare to twin 150-175 outboards and pod construction. I love my 350 MAG but if I chose to pod I'd go twins for sure. Pretty sure I haven't helped you a bit here. Lol.

Would love a 300 but I see lots of 23ft Hourstons with 225-250's on them. Yes there is some with twin 140-175s on them also. That is the dream route but price will be the deciding factor. If I keep the inboard I will rebuild mine into a stroker motor. I have build a few motors now and have a couple mechanic buddy's who love fishing in the boat so are willing to help get it done.

Hello All
I am very new to this site so pardon my ignorance relative to posting protocol. I am looking to purchase a topper for my father in laws Malibu Tyee boat, however, I cannot seem to find anything on line that is helpful. I would truly appreciate any help or guidance :) we are Calgary and Vernon based.
Warmest regards

Thanks that's the kind of info I was looking for. That's a big chuck of change though.

Had pod installed.

Hey Casper. My pod was 2600,motor 7500,controls 1300 and steering helm/lines 700

Hi Alberni Fisher,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my stern drive - a 26 Zeta fly bridge. Did you do the work yourself? I can't do the work and wonder what taking out old engines, fixing stern, and installing the pod would cost?

Is there a local company that you'd recommend? Have you heard of Rods Power and Marine doing this?

Do you need a longer shaft?

Any info would be appreciated. Can you post a picture of your boat?

Take tha POS car engine out & take it to where it belongs; the junk yard. I converted my 24ft SeaRay back in the 2 stroke days - with 4 strokes, it's a no-brainer. I got tired of all the corrosion issues related to having a car engine in a marine environment. I replaced a 350 chev with a 250 Yamaha 2 stroke. Top end went from 40 to 50, & the balance of the boat was improved. You should be able to maintain same speed with 200 - 225 HP - remember you will be much lighter & not so stern-heavy.

Back