Please Turn in Your Clipped Coho Heads!!!!!!!

Bugs

Hello Folks,

As people are catching some hatchery Coho in the Strait I wanted to make a plug for everyone to turn in all the heads that they get from clipped fish. It is always important to turn in heads for the coded wire tag information that they may contain. However, I know that many clipped Coho do not contain CWTs and that anglers can get discouraged turning them in and getting no information on their river of origin. Two extra reasons to turn in your heads:

At the moment there is large project going on as part of the parental based tagging of salmon at BC hatcheries. Basically genetic data are collected from all broodstock and this allows hatchery fish caught in the ocean to be identified not just to hatchery but in many cases to the individual parents. All Coho heads turned in will be analyzed as part of this program whether or not they contain a tag, so you will be contributing valuable data.

Also, the selfish reason is that we at UVic are planning a project to analyze how early marine growth may impact whether Coho are resident in the SoG in their second ocean summer or stay outside. So we will be getting all otoliths from Coho heads turned in from the SoG (except areas 28 and 29) prior to the end of July. We need a good sample to make the project worthwhile.

So tight lines in your Coho fishing and submit those heads!

This is nice, a couple years back I tried to do the same thing , I had all th coho,s head in a bag and took it to a tackle store , they did not take it, since that I am not bother with it.

Get some tags at the tackle store, use a pencil, and have them ready to put thru the jaw before you freeze it. Tackle store won't take it otherwise.

Reactions: GLG
This is nice, a couple years back I tried to do the same thing , I had all th coho,s head in a bag and took it to a tackle store , they did not take it, since that I am not bother with it.

Yep as most things do, it requires a tiny bit of time and effort filling out the labels and attaching. The tackle shop & marina depots do their part by providing a location/space/storage for drop off ....and pick up for JO Thomas.

Take the time and return all the clipped fish heads ...it does help out a lot... more then u think

Take the time and return all the clipped fish heads ...it does help out a lot... more then u think

Agreed Derby! And I do not want to imply that this is a special case. Turning in heads provides very valuable information and I encourage everyone to do it for both Coho and Chinook whenever possible. .

Also, for folk's interest, in the last year all CWT data for the USA and Canada is available online. It is at http://www.rmpc.org/

Extracting meaningful information from this site is a little challenging for the uninitiated, but it is all there, 100s of thousands of tag recoveries.

If anyone has any questions about accessing these data I may be able to help

Back