Please Read: 2 Minute Survey for Orca Recovery

Would people support reducing retention to 1 chinook per person, per day?

If it was part of an overall strategy tackling many of the larger issues sure.

But the usual put more restrictions on the sportfishing crowd and zero measures against the myriad of other issues, such as in river unregulated harvest, fish farms, non-orca marine mammals, watershed restoration etc etc etc... HELL NO.

The more we diminish the importance and value of the sportfishing sector, the less of a say in the (mis?) management we'll have.

LOL! Ever hear of "Know Thy Enemy"?

Even if he's stoooopid, it pays to understand his mindset... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I would caution thinking these groups are "stoooooopid" because they have a different agenda. In reality they are well funded, and have what looks like well thought out strategies and tactics. They already advocate targeted closures to protect the SRKW, this survey is not to develop a position, but to have additional PR around that position, as I would guess the people this is targeted to mostly support that strategy. There will be some respondents saying complete closure, others saying no closure, they will support the "reasonable" position of targeted closures of ALL fishing, not just picking on sports fishers, although many of the areas and times for closures will be where only sport fishers fish. Hitching to an iconic species like Orcas (whales in general) is a powerful position to take in terms of general population support. In addition they support actions to eliminate open net farms, and increased spending on salmon habitat enhancement which are positions common to many sport and commercial fishermen, again enhancing their overall "reasonable" approach relatively free of self interest, only the interests of the ecology of the SOG . I think they are a significant adversary, and the save the SRKW movement is a train that might be hard to derail.

I haven’t tackled this survey because I am unsure of how to tackle it in a meaningful.

what do u think the best way is to answer some of the questions?

I haven’t tackled this survey because I am unsure of how to tackle it in a meaningful.

what do u think the best way is to answer some of the questions?

We are such a small part of the problem and we are just too easy to be the local whipping boys in medias eyes (look at the negative sentiment when we tried to fight for halibut downtown) - acknowledge our roll, but redirect focusing on the bigger problems and stating just shutting us down will do absolutely nothing and destroy coastal towns in the process - there are much bigger problems that need to be dealt with at same time. Focus on them (they even gave some of them in the questions).

Maybe just be honest, wildmanyeah - but add in the missing supportive data/science/links over harbour seals & juvie Chinook predation - among other complicating issues - such as ocean-type verses steam-type Chinook, etc.... in the comments boxes.

Back