Plastic Oil Drain plug on Yamaha kicker

Tips Up

Anyone have experiance with the plastic oil drain plug in a '93 yamaha 9.9 four stroke?
I started to do an oil change on my kicker today and the drain plug is plastic with a metal hex head. When I tried to remove it the plastic cracked and the metal head just spins inside.
When I picked up the oil and parts at SG the parts guy sold me an extra plug and said they break easy. So I assume this is common. Can anyone tell me how to best remove it?

Thanks,
Tips

Yep broke 2 before Graham thats why now use the oil suck system way less messy and can do in the water. I got the one that looks like a round ball awsome unit just pump it up and walk away.... till its done.
How much are they now???BTW...

Wolf

Roy... Did you have to drill it out? I tried to notch it and get it turning with a flat head but the plastic is pretty soft.

This is the one I have http://www.yachtsee.com/pelaoilextractor6000.htm and works awsome I use it for the inboard the quad,lawn mower,motorcycles anything that you want to suck out..
As for getting it out I cant remeber sorry bud but knowing me I pryed it out LOL LOL let us know as im sure people will want to know.

Good luck Wolf

Had another look at it tonight. I broke away some of the platic and everything came out in pieces.
Turned out to be no big deal. I am usually over causious do to my limitted mechanical know how.
Stay tuned. I am going to change the leg oil next.

Thanks
Tips

Pump creates a vacuum in the ball, hose goes into the oil sump and sucks oil into the chamber...
never have to buy another oil drain plug if it happens to get stripped

Yep that about explains it there is a hose which is stiff (black) about 24 " that goes into the dip stick hole and then clear hose which is fused to the black with a conector which goes onto the globe then all you do is use the pump on top which looks to be like a diaphram to me. VERY VERY simple even a 4 yr old could use it LOL LOL even addicted used it LOL LOL with no problem.
I went to this system about 10 yrs ago after breaking the yammy plug and all the mess associated with that drain system this is way easier and faster. And multi usefull as well.I got mine at Trotac there are several model one that is tall and narrow but I wanted something small and compact which this is. GREAT product.
Go see Paul or Trev.

Good luck Wolf

Isn't the drain plug on the original 9.9 a reverse thread? Its been awhile but I stripped one long ago by over tightening it trying to remove it. It was either a reverse thread or to many Stella's while I worked on it.

It was a regular thread. I think it was just over tightened originally and been in too long.
The plastic plug is not a bad design I guess. If you do oil changes regularly and don't over tighten it probably goes in and out easily. If it gets stripped or stuck, the plastic breaks away easily and it would be hard to ruin the threads on the motor.
Tips

Back