Planar heater install

allanb76

Crew Member
I'm in the process of installing a 2kW heater in the bow of a Silver Streak 18'6" Challenger. Do you guys that have them, run the combustion air intake to a fresh source? I've installed a thru hull for the exhaust but didn't consider combustion air. The manual says not to pull cabin air for combustion, but I'm thinking the ventilation in this boat would be more than adequate to do so. It's only a drop curtain so there are rather air intake holes in the gunnels where the curtain doesn't cover. Silver Streak installs Wallas as a factory option and I don't believe they have a separate combustion air intake duct installed. I will be installing a CO detector right away as well.

Not speaking from experience but a do have a heater ready to install and am not going to bother with a fresh air combustion intake outside the cabin (soft top aluminum with lots of area for air to get in). If it were for an air tight cabin then for sure. Unless the bow where you’re mounting it is air tight?
CO2 detector is a good call

Would also like to see some pictures on how /where others installed the heater unit and fuel tank. I am planning on installing a D2 in the cuddy of my boat, 23’ striper

the only time you need to vent the intake is if the heater in installed in a sealed area,(like in a storage locker) and cannot get enough airflow, then vent a intake in

Thanks guys. I kind of figured if it's exhausting air outside and pulling from within, the replacement air will just come through any openings around the drop curtain (entire gunnel area) so it should be safe. I always get a bit worried not listening to the big exclamation mark in the instructions :) I also have yet to figure out the best solution for fuel storage. I'm thinking I'll just strap a 3gal portable tank down to allow easy removal for filling.

I have an 18" SS hardtop runabout with a drop curtain and installed the same heater a couple of years ago. Not sure where you mounted yours but I mounted mine port side forward and above the glove box. The exhaust was routed out port side high on the hull just past the curve of the hull with a goose neck inside to prevent water intrusion. Fuel pump was shock mounted on the removable bullhead to reduce noise. I installed the air intake and routed it under the port gunnel and the inlet (with screen to keep out insects) was located just past the aft end of the house. Perhaps not required but decided to plan ahead incase I wanted to install an Alaskan bulkhead later. Cost was about 10-15$. I also used a 3 gal outboard *fuel tank strapped to the deck at centerline just aft of the anchor locker. * I may change the location of the tank/type though as I was given a couple of OEM 7 and 13 liter tanks a few weeks ago but haven't decided yet as to if I will install.... as they may need to be bolted in due to their configuration? Just need to think about accessibility for easy re-fueling. More than likely it will be located outside on the Alaskan bulkhead if I go that way.
Pretty much sounds like the way I did it. So far I love it....heats the cabin up nicely and will be nice to be able to de-fog the windows in the mornings. Fuel tank is still temporary until I decide how/where I want it.

Back