Planar Diesel Heaters

Finished Business

interesting units...my cousin has a simular heater in an old military cube van/truck that he uses for camping...he fired it up to show me one day, and that little unit pumped out some serious heat! not sure of the btu's and its an old unit... effective, the negatives I thought it was noisey sounded like a mini turbine running, and I could smell deisel...but that could have been due to the exaust dumping low and directly out the side of the box...in your case i would exhaust it high like to the hardtop...I would want to see an installed unit operating

I run an espar which looks like the same principle. Mine is great BUT the price of that unit is awesome. Mine cost $4000!!! Give it a try.

I just put one in my boat, gave it a good workout during the loggers derby at Poetts Nook last weekend . I was impressed, learned a valuable lesson though...don't use PVC pipe for ducting lol . I would highly recommend them. The digital controles are a bit confusing to start and the manual has been translated from russian to english , so a slow thourough read is in order.

I just put one in my boat, gave it a good workout during the loggers derby at Poetts Nook last weekend . I was impressed, learned a valuable lesson though...don't use PVC pipe for ducting lol . I would highly recommend them. The digital controles are a bit confusing to start and the manual has been translated from russian to english , so a slow thourough read is in order.

good to know they perform...what happened with the ducting, did the PVC melt or smell?? what is the noise level like??

The ducting melted....real bad actually lol. As far as noise level goes I have the unit mounted in the cuddy so I hear nothing especially with the kicker running etc...

Thanks for the great info Runamuk!!...sounds like they are definitely worth a try. Pricy Espar Bird! I like the sounds of 7 bills...I think I will give it a shot come the fall.

Those look really interesting FB. The one in the middle looks like my unit. I thought the Snuggers were cheap. Wow that is a great price for the whole kit!

Side note about PVC ducting. Apparently it can put off poisonous fumes. I went with the proper flexible heater ducting.

I am trying to find a location on my Grady White to mount this heater and was thinking of mounting the heater on the hard top and drilling a 3" hole in the hard top to vent the heat in. Effectively the heat would be blowing on the helm chairs (I will divert it to each side). There is room on top of the hard top and in the cabin between the overhead bins and life jacket storage area. The Grady also has power up in the overhead bins. I was thinking of buying a used life raft canister and mounting the heater in there (with proper ventilation, etc). I think the unit would look pretty good and this would be a good way to 'hide' the unit.

Thoughts?

Those look really interesting FB. The one in the middle looks like my unit. I thought the Snuggers were cheap. Wow that is a great price for the whole kit!

Side note about PVC ducting. Apparently it can put off poisonous fumes. I went with the proper flexible heater ducting.

I had an Espar D2 installed in my GW Islander a few years back. It is installed in the box under the port helm chair just ahead of the fishing tackle box compartment and above the water tank. It is vented both in helm seat area and in the cabin area, in both cases just above foot level. It was a tight installation but I had someone install it who had previously done a number of GW heater installations. The unit is entirely concealed. I can't recall how smaller the box under the port helm chair is in the Journey.

The little diesel heaters blow me away ... they sip diesel and provides so much heat ... there isn't a day of the year that I can't comfortably sit in the helm area without a jacket on.

links on first post no longer working.
here's another link.

http://planarheaters.com/

interesting and well priced heaters. if i needed a heater (have a heatercraft and wallas stove) i'd definitely be considering one of these!

Back