Pinks on the fly.

Any sightings of pinks making their way down the coast yet? Please post sightings as you see them.. Thanks:D

Haven't heard of any yet, July 10th is the date some suspect they will arrive, I'm busy tying pink and purple handlebars while we wait!

Cheers,

BL

When you're flyfishing for pinks what kind of line do you use? Standard sinking line? I've been interested in doing some salt chuck flyfishing since moving out of the interior, but I've never gotten around to it yet. Also, I have a 5 weight and a 8 weight rod, Im guessing a 5 would make it more fun?

8 weight is just overkill tho isnt it? Where are you at Holmes? I may run into you if you're fishing them up in CR.

Hey guys, when you're headed out here in CR look me up. It'd be great to meet some more of you and I'm always looking for reasons to get out and fish. Setting up my smoker for the first timer this year so pinks are definitely on the menu.

Fly fishing for them would be an absolute blast. How big are they? Thought that they were around the same size a sockeye, no? If so then a 5/6 weight rod should be good and fun. Hell if you aren't in it for the fun,,, then get out the Hali rod and the mudraker (I hear that they will hit anything:pLOL.)

I would love to get some Sockeyes on a fly rod, that would be a blast! This year would probably be good for that if they are up closer to the surface with all of the cold fresh water coming out of the rivers. Back to the Pinks, don't mean to hijack the thread.:eek:

Hey Holmes,
I know you've posted where you work in Gold River before, but I couldn't remember what thread. Told the wife about your much sought after ribs and we're planning a trip out for dinner when we both have a day off together. Is there a special day you serve them up or are they available anytime?

I would love to get some Sockeyes on a fly rod, that would be a blast!

Thats what my 8 wt rod was for. Fly fishing for socks in the Babine back when I lived in smithers. They would be one hell of a fight even on an 8. Too bad they dwell so deep on the coast here.

As for the pinks on a fly rod, ive seen several guys fishing them at the pullout off the end of larwood road there.
Also anyone in the CR area thats looking for good play when the pinks are in, they should hit up the rocks in front of the pier first light(ish). Trout strength gear is all you need. I limited out on pinks there last year a few times before 7am. If you see some jackass with a collapseable rod there it's probably me.

Tips and bottoms up friends.

8 wt for sockeye. 6 or 7 wt for pinks. I prefer a 7 wt because its easier to cast on a windy day.

I also prefer a heavier rod for the windy days. I don't think I'd go less than a 6 weight, the switch rods are becoming popular too.

Somebody asked about line selection. I use clear intermediate type 3 sink. Some use floating, some use sink tips. It's all a matter of preference I think, they all work.

When you're flyfishing for pinks what kind of line do you use? Standard sinking line? I've been interested in doing some salt chuck flyfishing since moving out of the interior, but I've never gotten around to it yet. Also, I have a 5 weight and a 8 weight rod, Im guessing a 5 would make it more fun?

Use the 8 wt in the river and on the beach....I saw two 5 wt rods snap last year, on in the CR , one at the beach. 6/7 is ideal but there are Coho too so it wont hurt to have the 8 wt. in case you hook one.

I am going to fish the crap out of the pinks this year, river and would be happy to meet up with you guys as well. We landed 40 one morning on the CR last year. Fast sinking is the key in the river, floating works best on the beach.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

BL

Much easier with a sinker in the river for sure.
Make sure your leader is fairly short so you can tell where your hook is......you can tie on a fly or a piece of wool if you want, but a bare hook works good too. LOL
If using a floating line then a long leader is the ticket.
Slow or intermediate clear lines best on the beach but I've caught trout and salmon on virtually every different combo of fly line and leader length over the years so, your mileage may vary.

Early morning Sandy Pool up to the bridge is a good spot to start when the Pinks are in the Campbell.
Buy a fly or two from the local character at Sandy Pool too.
They work great.

Take care.

I have found that my Sage 5 wt. is too light for Pinks. My cheap Dragonfly 6 wt. is great though. Don't break a good fly rod on a Humpy!

well the unfortunate part for many i know, i dont work at that place anymore and have just switched jobs this week and am now at a private lodge, it all came about very quickly, but hopefully the ribfest will happen later this summer in say august or september....holmes*

Tell me when I am still in it for the first $100

You can get away with a 5 but a 7-8 is better, you don't have to run the fish down so much to get him in.

you will be surprised at the power of pinks in the campbell. 8 wt. is not overkill for traditional casting. i use a sage 5120 spey rod. dry line 9 ft. leader bb size split shot. be aware upper river weighted not allowed.
float fishers do well because of presentation, however heavy sinks although sometimes effective don't seem to be as consistent.

you will be surprised at the power of pinks in the campbell. 8 wt. is not overkill for traditional casting. i use a sage 5120 spey rod. dry line 9 ft. leader bb size split shot. be aware upper river weighted not allowed.
float fishers do well because of presentation, however heavy sinks although sometimes effective don't seem to be as consistent.

I'm with speydog, scrappy fish plus current equals power. Here is a Sage 5 wt Rod vs a CR pink(not me in pic...lol)

islandbagpipe

http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/ae116/islandbagpipe/?action=view&current=100_0656-Copy.jpg

Back