Pickled Salmon

getbent

I have a decent recipe for pickled herring that have used in the past for salmon....just wondering if anyone else has one to compare to.

Thanks,

Getbent

The herring recipe would probably work ok for salmon but good pickled salmon needs a pickled salmon recipe. Comment's like "unfit for a harbour seal" followed some attempts 'till I blackmailed someone into giving up their recipe!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Found it...for anyone who is interested.

Here it is...tough to read, it is old.

Pickled Herring

Brine

1 quart water
1 1/2 cups pickling salt
Sit in cold spot for 6 days....I read this as and have in the past....Mix the two ingredients together add fish and put in the fridge.

After 6 days soak in cold water for 20 to 30 minutes and cut into desired size...again I read this as take the fish out of the brine and soak.

Solution

3/4 cup of white vinegar
3/4 cup of water
2 tbsp of sugar
Onion slices
Pickling spices

It was very tasty the last time I tried it 5 or 6 years ago.

Getbent

this is a recipe given to me years ago from an old salt for pickled salmon.

-soak 3 #'s thinly sliced (1/4 to 1/2") skinned salmon over night in brine ( 1qt. water, 1/2 cup salt,1/2 cup sugar)
-drain and rinse well with cold fresh water.
-combine 2 1/2 cups white vinegar, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 1/4 cups sugar,cook until sugar dissolves adding pickling spices, cool, then pour over salmon (add thinly sliced lemon and onions) in a large jar.
-store in fridge, will be ready to eat in 3-4 days

i cubed some of the salmon in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes and it worked as well as slicing thinly.

enjoy, cheers ferret

ps i'm sure if you google pickled salmon you'll find lots of recipes, i like to make ceviche with different kinds of fish, still looking for the perfect recipe, been trying lots of the south american versions, most are very good, just ggogle ceviche recipes

it should last 1-2 months in the fridge, you can it and it would last a year, i haven't done that as it is fairly easy to make and a large jar usually lasts a while.
cheers ferret
ps make a smaller batch 1st and make sure u like it before going whole hog on it.

Geo Tonz..
Are you willing to share your recipe?

62802394477903127812153.jpg

If I find it, sure. To many years on the prairies not using it and I cannot locate it now. I think my parents have a copy though so next time...

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

The real term for pickeled seafood is called Ceviche!!!! it accually cooks the fish via the acid content of the lime,and vinegar and wine here is what I use but I dont personally like tomatos so I dont put them in but if you do throw them in.

Try it once then make your own modifications I put more wine in mine and more in me LOL

Ingredients:

1 lb. either peeled deveined shrimp, red
snapper, tuna, scallops.salmon,halibut etc
5-7 limes, juiced
2 tbsp vinegar
dash if white wine
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons chopped red onion
6-10 cherry tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive or coconut oil
1 handful cilantro (coriander leaf)

Method:
Slice fish into chunks. If using shrimp
or scallops, leave whole. Place all
ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Refrigerate for an 10 hours
Serves 2-4

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Same thing there my friend as pickling is a bit different as in the ingredients (pickling spice) but the chemical element is vinegar and what it does is acid cooks both of them giving you the same result as neither of them you "cook".
Both of them preserves as well.

Hope that helps

Wolf

Just did up a batch with some fresh wints and man is this good. Here is the recipe I followed:

Pickled Salmon

1. Fillet fresh and unfrozen salmon - deboned, skinned and chopped into equal square inch cubes.
2. Brine pieces in very salty brine for 6 hrs.
3. Rinse off twice in separate fresh water baths.
4. Dry completely in paper towel till sticky and set aside in fridge.
5. Prepare pickling solution - equal parts pickling vinegar and fresh water, pickling spices (generous portion), and white sugar to taste by boiling then simmering together in pot for a while - cool to room temp.
6. Slice thin pieces of lemon, onion and coarse chopped garlic cloves.
7. Equally portion ingredients to fill # of clean sterile jars - layer some lemon, onion, garlic, peppercorns and salmon then repeat till jar is 2/3 full - pour pickling solution over to inch of top of jar - tightly apply lids to jars and store in fridge - allow a few days before eating first one.

After Doing some experimentation Here is my Pickled salmon recipe.

Slice salmon into 1/4 inch strips

layer with pickling salt for 4-6 hours (no water). If salt disappears add more. This is the curing part ot the process.
Combine the following-

1 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 level TBLS pickling spice
Peppercorns 1/2 tsp
Whole Allspice approx 5
Slices of Fresh Garlic and Ginger (very important, don't miss these, they can also be added at the end with the onions)
Boil 5 Minutes then cool

rinse salted fish well with cold fresh water. Texture should be kinda hard.
Layer onions, and fish in jars pour COLD brine over fish and refridgerate for at least 5 days for flavours to develop

this is a recipe given to me years ago from an old salt for pickled salmon.

-soak 3 #'s thinly sliced (1/4 to 1/2") skinned salmon over night in brine ( 1qt. water, 1/2 cup salt,1/2 cup sugar)
-drain and rinse well with cold fresh water.
-combine 2 1/2 cups white vinegar, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 1/4 cups sugar,cook until sugar dissolves adding pickling spices, cool, then pour over salmon (add thinly sliced lemon and onions) in a large jar.
-store in fridge, will be ready to eat in 3-4 days

i cubed some of the salmon in about 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes and it worked as well as slicing thinly.

enjoy, cheers ferret

ps i'm sure if you google pickled salmon you'll find lots of recipes, i like to make ceviche with different kinds of fish, still looking for the perfect recipe, been trying lots of the south american versions, most are very good, just ggogle ceviche recipes

I just did a double batch of some Barkley sound spring and sampled the first of it yesterday and I just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. Excellent flavor, defiantly a keeper.

Goes best out on the patio on a hot summers day while being washed down with your favorite brew. On crackers or as an appie .... wunderful!!!. (ps-- Steelhead pickles great too!)

Most pickled fish weather salmon or herring should be salted minimum 7 days as it takes out moisture and firms up the fish. I used to salt fish for a month on a fish boat then take it home rinse very well and then pickle it. Was nice and firm and delicious

Back