Pickled salmon storage question

RiverBoy

So i made a big batch of pickled salmon. i have them in jars in my fridge currently, but i’m getting conflicting into on whether or not i can store it in a cool place or does it have to remain in the fridge?
if so this is gonna be a problem as i only have one fridge and it’s taking up precious real estate. thanks

What's the recipe?[/

This recipe is for two salmon; around 12-15 lbs

you’ll need about 24-30 250 ml jars.

Start by filleting, skinning and pulling pin bones on the salmon

chunk the salmon into bite size pieces ( sugarcube sized )

place in a large tupperware container and salt each layer in course or Kosher salt. don’t skimp on the salt.
add cold water to the container till all the salmon is slightly covered.

Fish needs to cure in this brine for 24 hours. the pieces tend to stick to each other, so carefully stir this mixture every 6 hours or so.

After 24 hours, get a colander and rinse all the salt off the fish pieces. rinse out remainder of salt out of your tupperware container. put your rinsed fish back into the tupperware container and let it sit in fresh water for a minimum 30 minutes.

after 30 minutes pull fish out and air dry on an old towel or cloth. DONT use paper towel as it gets all over the little bits and it’s a nitemare to remove.

Meanwhile, bust out your favourite cauldron and add:

4 cups of white sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
8 cups of white vinegar
3/4 pouch of pickling spice
bring this up to boil; for minimum 30 minutes
Let mixture cool down to room temp.

you will also need around 8-10 hardball sized onions. put them thru a processor (easiest ) or i guess you can hand-cut them, but keep in mind, the onions are almost as desirable as the fish in the end; so try and prepare it in a way that’s presentable. ( not diced )
i am using white onion, but some prefer red onion. personal thing.

start with a layer of onions, then fish, onions, fish etc. Ladle in the picking spice mixture. fill the jar to the very top, and then screw on sealing lid. store upside down to start in your fridge.

some guys rotate it daily; i doubt it matters that much to be honest, i do it every couple days. it’s ready to eat in about a week to ten days.

Back