Pickled Salmon Recipe

high tide

Hello all, I normally use my same recipe for pickled herring, does any one have a great recipe for all these Sockeye were nailing ?

Thanks in advance

HT

Spring Fever does and it's awesome...... I have 2 gals in my fridge ready tonight.

Going to start a batch of pickled halibut tonight :)

Right on thanks !

Hey SPRING FEVER .... any chance of posting your recipe ?? : )) : ))

How long will the product keep after pickled and refrigerator stored ??

HT

I got permission to post from Spring Fever's wife...... :)

Two pounds of salmon

Place in container skin side down cover with pickling salt for 24 hours

Aft 24hrs remove and rinse with cold water

Pat dry, skin fish and cut into bite size chunks

Mix pickling solution two parts apple cider vinegar 1cup of sugar. For this recipe i use 3 cups of apple cider vinegar and 1 and a half cups of sugar

Slowly disolve the sugar in the vinegar

Carefully thin slice two large onions

Layer in about four or five layers, the salmon the onions and a little pickling spice into the pickling mixture

Do not pack tightly

Refrigerate to pickle for 72 hours, after that it will only get better with time...........ENJOY

Will last about 4 months in refrigerator.... Ya right :) It will be gone by then.

You are not canning this product, only pickling it. You just have to twist on the lid and put at the back of the refrigerator and try to forget about it.

Spring Fever gave me a sample a few days ago and I have been craving it ever since. This thread is not helping me forget about the 2-1gallon bottles at the back of my refrigerator.

Just got to give credit where credit is due-this was Jigger Jims recipe-I only added the lemon to it. best I have ever made!!

Laura tossed sliced hot peppers from our garden in one of the gallon bottles. Wil be interesting to see how it turns out :)

It all turned nice and firm and was tasty-some was much lighter in colour which was the Spring belly flap-the coho retained colour much better-no difference in taste. Be sure to dry those fillets after freshening with fresh water-we did notice that if you pack the salmon tight or didn't dry the fillets well -it tends to dilute the vinegar sugar solution and the product doesn't have as much snap. The 24 hr salting process seems to add the right amount of firmness-I might go longer next time if I had really thick fillets. I don't freshen much-just enough to get the excess salt off. Taste a piece and see if it's too salty for you.

I was going to can my last batch, but this sounds really good.
The sockeye is already skinned, will it be ok to use? I noticed you brined it before skinning.
All the recipes I found online also show skinning after brine like yours.

I was going to can my last batch, but this sounds really good.
The sockeye is already skinned, will it be ok to use? I noticed you brined it before skinning.
All the recipes I found online also show skinning after brine like yours.
I think it would be fine-my only concern would be that it MIGHT take up more salt. I think I would cut the salt time a little to say 12 hrs-but honestly you can tell when the fish has set up-it should feel very rubbery and firm- freshen a little with fresh water and taste a little-it should taste a little salty but not overly so-if it does freshen a bit more. dry well. Then follow the recipe-you'll love it!

Does it have to be fresh or can it be previously frozen? Should be ok with a slow thaw, no?

Also SF, how much lemon do you throw in?

this is making me hungry. I have never tried pickled salmon but am going to try this recipe. 2 questions, how much pickling spice do you use, and would some fresh dill be a nice addition to the recipe

Back