Pho

firelight

Vietnamese beef noodle soup is usually what this is and I have learned to make it as I can't get it locally and I love it.

I decided to keep some cleaned carcasses of halibut and lingcod this year for making a seafood version of the soup. Well it turned out fantastic, thanks to the halibut seminar chef for giving me the idea.

The recipe is as follows, it's much faster with the seafood than the beef version.

First I make the broth and it makes 4 or 5 dinners for 2 so I freeze the broth till needed.

raqare4a.jpg

I have quite a big stock pot and in goes the halibut along with about 10 to 12 liters of water on high.

azy8e5y5.jpg

Then the spices.

1 cinnamon stick
1 table spoon coriander seeds
1 table spoon fennel seeds
5 whole star anise
1 cardamom pod
6 whole cloves

y4ymygeh.jpg

Quarters 2 onions and half a few pieces of ginger root and char them under the broiler then add to pot.

ese4udy7.jpg

pepare4y.jpg

Add 1/4 cup fish sauce along with 11/2 table spoons kosher salt and 1 table spoon raw sugar.

When it's up to heat turn to simmer for 3 to 4 hours.

It takes another big pot to strain the broth when done.

yhe6eha6.jpg

Here's the broth strained, this is the time to taste, add a bit of fish sauce, salt or sugar as required.

teju3upy.jpg

Now I'll take out a portion for dinner and put the rest in containers or vac bags.

yrananys.jpg

this is a good size container for 2 dinner size soup bowls.

pytu4abe.jpg

Or vac bags for the freezer.

When we have this for dinner I start with the ready made stock, and if it's frozen just melt and heat it in a pot.

I use the stock to cook some pre made dim sum dumplings.

yny6egu6.jpg

When the dumpling are cooked put them I'm your bowl and add raw tuna slices.

vuma9upe.jpg

naduby2e.jpg

When you take out the dumplings from the pot keep the broth on a low boil so it's real hot when you add it to the bowls. It will cook the tuna just right.

ny3e3uvu.jpg

Garnish the bowl with some fresh cilantro, basil and mint. Along with some hoisin sauce and sriacha to taste.

y6yjegys.jpg

You can add fresh bean sprouts too but the wife makes me add kale for some greens.

Almost forgot, section a lime and squeeze some fresh in your bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use any fish or prawns as you like but slice it thin and the hot broth will cook it.

It's a bit of work to make broth but it's about the same time as a hockey game so I plan it to do while I watch the game. After it's made you get 4 or 5 dinners and it takes about 45 minutes from frozen.

Anyone interested in the beef version just ask. I'd love to do moose version but I'd need to score some good bones.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Love that stuff. Heading to Vietnam in March, looking forward to the real thing. Even going to check out the fish sauce factory in Phu Quoc.

Really appreciate the details.. Looks fantastic. Going to be trying it real soon.. Thanks!!!

Nice job, Todd. My mouth was watering reading this...........thanks!

Back