Petition to the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

@Dave Would you be able to confirm if the Vedder River hatchery receives any PSF funding?
My local hatchery is dependent on the PSF funds and we also receive money from Donations and other public and non for profit orga. I would expect other larger hatcheries such as Squamish and Chilliwack to be in the same boat.

@Dave Would you be able to confirm if the Vedder River hatchery receives any PSF funding?
My local hatchery is dependent on the PSF funds and we also receive money from Donations and other public and non for profit orga. I would expect other larger hatcheries such as Squamish and Chilliwack to be in the same boat.
Sorry, I don’t know if the Chilliwack River hatchery receives PSF funding, but would be surprised if it does. I would hope the PSF could find a better use for available money.

I believe the large goverment hatcheries receive funding though DFO's SEP budget.

That's exactly why we have such a problem getting heard.
Such a small number of the general population that even care.
Which is exactly why we are losing the war to the Engos's and will lose it all unless we can get public perception turned around

Forget about it with David Suzuki! He's only in it for himself and is a phony. He has accumulated a net worth of $25-million off of his propaganda! https://torontosun.com/2013/10/11/t...aire/wcm/41e5eca5-3efa-4a1f-91c7-e4445e4dc367
Sorry but youre wrong David Suzuki has followed his passion throughout his life which is protecting the environment and furthering science and research we should be on his side of things because the other side of things would be happy with our province as a paved parking lot covered in fish farms with no wild salmon to get in the way of progress. What you call propaganda the rest of the world calls science, your claims are propaganda and don't help the sport fishing community look any better, we sound like knuckle draggers blaming everyone else instead of acknowledging that our fisheries need protection and restoration and putting down a guy that's been saying that for years is ignorant.

Sorry but youre wrong David Suzuki has followed his passion throughout his life which is protecting the environment and furthering science and research we should be on his side of things because the other side of things would be happy with our province as a paved parking lot covered in fish farms with no wild salmon to get in the way of progress. What you call propaganda the rest of the world calls science, your claims are propaganda and don't help the sport fishing community look any better, we sound like knuckle draggers blaming everyone else instead of acknowledging that our fisheries need protection and restoration and putting down a guy that's been saying that for years is ignorant.
He is a hypocrite and I stand by what I stated. He had a Don't your Dare Hook a Chinook Campaign last year and then went fishing for Chinook in Haida Gwaii at The Outpost Lodge with the CEO of the Suzuki Foundation Steve Cornish.
David Suzuki and Steve Cornish Fishing at the Outpost Fishing Lodge in 2019.jpg

Large ENGO need there to be big money on both sides of an issue. What big money is in it for them to lobby for salmon habitat.

Sports fishermen already work with many ENGOs but the large ones that gain money threw lobbying have no interest in spending wages on salmon restoration work.

Ones like rainforest that do some they do do with million dollar government contracts. Their other donations they use of lobbying and advertising to generate income.

Sports fishermen are already hugely involved with streams keepers work, community hatcheries ect...

He is a hypocrite and I stand by what I stated. He had a Don't your Dare Hook a Chinook Campaign last year and then went fishing for Chinook in Haida Gwaii at The Outpost Lodge with the CEO of the Suzuki Foundation Steve Cornish.
View attachment 54668
Just curious how you know what fish they were targeting and whether they retained any chinook. Maybe you know but I cant tell from this picture, all I see is a group of guys supporting the guide rec sector and the bc economy , maybe you could share the details on how many they bonked and then we would have a better idea whether this makes him a hypocrite. Maybe he releases all his chinook or only fished hali and just loves to fish and be on the water just like us.

Just curious how you know what fish they were targeting and whether they retained any chinook. Maybe you know but I cant tell from this picture, all I see is a group of guys supporting the guide rec sector and the bc economy , maybe you could share the details on how many they bonked and then we would have a better idea whether this makes him a hypocrite. Maybe he releases all his chinook or only fished hali and just loves to fish and be on the water just like us.
Seems pretty damning to me to be at one of the top spots to fish Chinook in BC when you have that campaign running! If he truly practiced what he was preaching, he should not have been there at all. He's a phony!

Come on bud let’s be real here...... troll a different thread and spend some time educating yourself on exactly what you are talking about

Dr-Suzuki-1024x684.jpg

I say it we can accomplish our goals by working with some ENGO's then let's do it. Who hasn't been hypocritical sometime in their life?

If we can work together with some ENGO's and benefit from it, I say let's do it. If we can't benefit from it, then obviously don't do it. Time to stop fighting amongst ourselves and picking fights with others if we don't need to. We need all the help we can get right now. The more sectors, groups and public we have on our side the better. We will loose big time if we just remain a small, isolated user group, that can't get its act together and just comes across as a predominately bunch of redneck, white guys, who just stick to themselves and like to kill fish. This has been the situation for the most part up to now and it has failed us big time and will continue to do so. Time for a new approach. A more proactive approach that attracts more people and groups to our important cause. Time to see the bigger picture.

We need to show and educate the general public and then be better able to influence politicians that the public fishery has many benefits and has broad support across BC and Canada. If working with some ENGO's help us do this, then let's do it. If it doesn't work out, then move on to another tactic - but lets not be judgmental and miss out on a potential beneficial relationship. Don't know if it works until we try. Let's show the public we are willing to work with whoever wants to bring back healthy and abundant wild salmon populations! That is one way to increase support for the public fishery.

Lastly and more to the point of this post - if we want this petition to hit big numbers of signatures and have the impact we all want it to have then it sure as hell has to get more people to sign then a small percentage of concerned public fishers we usually get to act that actually get off their rears to do something about the crisis we are in. We need to make the numbers and our support go from a few thousand to tens of thousands or more. My 2 bits.

Last edited:
Pretty clear he's a hypocrite or maybe its just a photo op and he didn't catch the fish or maybe he was just helping someone place it on their boat or maybe he was going help out and clean it for a bud. You really need to look really closely and in fact look at all that he has and tells everyone to sacrifice , don't catch etc etc ....... take the blinders off !
I agree we should build allies BUT we thought that for years and years working with the DFO and where did that get us, only to be used against us in my opinion.

Back