Petition for Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Peahead

http://spreadsheets.google.com/formResponse?formkey=cEkxX3p3MGFBbWNVVGNVU3lxQnBwQmc6MA..

Link to petition ( written by Alexandra Morton) that demands Fisheries and Oceans Canada to
apply the Fisheries Act to the Salmon Farming Industry and immediately:

#8722; Place observers during feedlot salmon harvest to assess unlawful by-catch;

#8722; Examine feedlot salmon as they are cleaned for presence of wild fish in their
digestive tract;

#8722; Licence vessels transporting aquaculture salmon like all other commercial
fishing vessels;

#8722; As per Pacific Fishery Regulation "Prohibited Fishing
Methods" ban grow lights on fish feedlots to end wild prey species
attraction into the pens;

- Remove the marine feedlot industry from wild salmon migration routes.

This petition is written to have a chance at passing by the thoughtless so it can be expanded upon very easily with teeney weeney ammendments which would kill the industry. Destructively-clever wordsmithing at its' most digusting level.

A complete response of my perceptions I will post later tonight.

As it stands this is a fraud, written by one with what would appear as a deceptive hysteria rather than by one of sentient thoughtfulness. Deceptively clever, rather than fairly wise.

I am neither a fan nor opponent of fish-farming. As it is practised, there are myriad improvements required. I stress however, the word "improvements".

Regards

Link to petition ( written by Alexandra Morton) that demands Fisheries and Oceans Canada to
apply the Fisheries Act to the Salmon Farming Industry and immediately:

#8722; Place observers during feedlot salmon harvest to assess unlawful by-catch;

[?][?]?? What fish are unlawfully breaking into the net?... herring, eels, small lings which grow into big lings from dining on the salmon? Salmon smolts cruising in & staying around because dinner's a lot easier to find?... How many unlawful by-catch fish are there in one of these pens any way such that some falacious rule needs implementation? Oh, wait, it must be the mussels attached to the nets, or the couple crabs that got fat off the detrius.

And, Of course... Who's about to pay for this new gestapo? You or the farm? This is an excuse to employ some yutz who doesn't want real work. Maybe a PETA member to watch over a herd of sea kittens?

#8722; Examine feedlot salmon as they are cleaned for presence of wild fish in their digestive tract;

[?]?? Of course there will be wild fish in their gut. They're open net pens. Herring, shrimp, sardine, anchovey, mackeral, eels, needlefish all will find their way through these nets. If the water can flow through, and the mesh is 1", there are no traffic lights saying "stop: certain death ahead for wild fish". Those creatures in the pen... Atlantic salmon, are predators. They eat small fish, krill, shrimp and food pellets. They're not so dumb as to listen to the operator saying... "Whoa there Scottie... Can't eat THAT!"

So what next: Ban or fine operators if their salmon eat wild forage which wanders into their nets?

What's the point of that demand anyway... Ban penned fish from eating? Get a reality check.

#8722; Licence vessels transporting aquaculture salmon like all other commercial fishing vessels;

[?]?? These are basically freighters, not seiners or long-liners or trawlers or bottom smashers. They're carrying farm produce, not fishing for a living. That's simply a stupid requirement to ask for.

Now, if they are fishing vessels, with fish-catching gear... Well, if they might be doing a little poaching on the side throw them in jail. Or, If they're buying native caught fish on the trip home... well maybe there's a license for "I'm allowed to buy Native-Caught Fish" that they may need to buy. Otherwise, give your heads a shake.

#8722; As per Pacific Fishery Regulation "Prohibited Fishing
Methods" ban grow lights on fish feedlots to end wild prey species
attraction into the pens;

[?] Given they are not fishing, having lights isn't an issue. In fact less an issue than lights on any wharf or seaside street, where anglers could stand by a lighted seashore and gain some small advantage.

What's this, an anti-seal effort? Keep the sharks at bay? Send the orca back to the briney depths?

The lights are probably needed to keep the protestors off the pens at night so they don't cut the nets then blame the escapement on the farmer. Having lights might just help when they photograph the eco-terrorists... and that is what they are.

- Remove the marine feedlot industry from wild salmon migration routes.

[?] ?? To where, the wild salmon feeding grounds? I'd bet any (somewhat in undecided dispute) transfer of bio-hazard, lice etc..., would be far more likely to infest were that to happen. I'm of a mind the position in a migratory route would be a most transient if even possible exposure to the concerns bandied about so readily. Migratory used to mean, passing by, not taking up residence. I'd also think in a feeding ground there would be a much greater uptake of the natural food supply. (which would be in much greater supply were the herring/pilchard fishery banned.)

Were I a licensed commercial fisher or a charter guide,
I'd be crying-out for a lot more farms to help take the consumption-pressure off the wild stock. Because brotha, when those Chinese start up farming to fill their own needs, you won't sell, nor have anything left to sell to you biggest markets, and if you're dreaming of price increases by killing-off farms... think about that for just a nano-second... Eh? They will feed their people... with zero regard for Alexandra's sensitivities.

Regards

CJ,
May I respectfully suggest that you educate yourself about the issues and the differences between the ways the aquaculture fishery (as determined recently by the BC Supreme Court) and other fisheries are regulated by DFO before posting such ill informed opinions as your last ones.

Cuttlefish, no disrespect to your thoughts. Nor am I impugning your exceptional research & study on the matter, far greater than mine I would gladly submit.

Fish farm feedlots could I guess, be moved to Brooks AB, as the intent of the continued harangue over fish farming is to remove them entirely, not to find solutions. Certainly Brooks could run a coal or gas-fired electric-generation plant to refridgerate water & power water pumps. And Lord knows there's enough cement at Exshaw & gravel everywhere to build the enclosed pens required. I guatrantee Albertans would welcome the economic diversity.

Then, there would be no dispute at all about the transport method. However there are a few weird MDs squawking about mad cow disease in fish. I suppose they treated Captn Kirk on the Enterprise, or attended on of his concerts.

Wild fish taste better, and it's more satisfying to catch one in the briney wilds than it would be to stand around some pen or pond to catch a 6.25# altantic on powerbait. I'll agree with you completely on that. And sure as heck, around that pen, some yutz will feed nuts to the cute little sea kittens. And, sure enough some crackpots will demonstrate about the cruel & unusual punishment of penning a bunch of Atlantic salmon, which surely must be longing for their home waters and the comforts of the varied human accents spey-casting streamers around their native ponds & streams. I agree with you, those things might pose a problem.

My point is this petition is inane blather. It is deconstructive. It is not constructive.

What if it "demanded": All fish farms must be enclosed, sealed concrete pens; All water must be filtered to remove waste & biological hazards; They must be painted & decorated to minimize the eyesore-effect; You could even "demand" solid wastes & offal be collected, processed & sold inland as fertilizer; Or 'demand' all plants/farms be concentrated in one place; And 'demand' all food-processing be done at an on-site processing plant.

You know, I'd be front & center with you on those issues. But, I disparage the "burn the books" style approaches I've reviewed to date, as hysterically-hyped by people at least similar to Morton.

When the supreme court (a gaggle of lawyers) tells you what to eat and when and in what quantity... you can only view them a court-jesters... Oh, wait, they just did that in Great Britan, and laws were passed... all chocolate bars and sugar-infused beverages must now be sold in containers 1/2 the size of a regular bar or pop can, and they were already small in comparison... but, at the same prices (tax) to "encourage" appropriate health-choices... FOAD to the Britsh Parliament & their House of 'Lords'.

The specious demands in this petition are merely sophistry posing as thoughtful input.

Cheers!

I don't buy farmed salmon

I believe fish farming should be migrated to contained facilities

To put it simply, I believe Cliffjumper's comments to be right on the mark.

I don't think I would buy a used car from A.M. or the rest of that crowd, especially after seeing this latest submission.

Done. My suggestion was Aquaponics (google it). Combine commercial land based salmon farms with existing/new greenhouse/farming industries.

www.kayaks2.com

Islandboy, I'm puzzeled by your "done", when what you actually want is to landbase the farms in a more-easily controlled aquaculture setting.

Why agree with this petition, when what you want makes so much more sense to you? Why would you not petition for that?

Just curious.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by cliffjumper

Islandboy, I'm puzzeled by your "done", when what you actually want is to landbase the farms in a more-easily controlled aquaculture setting.

Why agree with this petition, when what you want makes so much more sense to you? Why would you not petition for that?

Just curious.

Cheers!

Simply because I believe you move mountains one shovelful at a time. I have yet to meet someone who leaps to the top of a long flight of stairs. You can petition for the major change alone or you can budge things along one step at a time. Accepting reality does not necassarily condone it.

www.kayaks2.com

quote:Originally posted by cliffjumper

Just curious.

Cheers!

Simply because I believe you move mountains one shovelful at a time. I have yet to meet someone who leaps to the top of a long flight of stairs. You can petition for the major change alone or you can budge things along one step at a time. Accepting reality does not necassarily condone it.

www.kayaks2.com

Back