perch fishing

F

foleymallard

I live in chase B.C. and found out that there is a few lakes in the area that hold perch.I have caught a few small ones from 6-8inches,but I know there is bigger ones around.I was wondering if any body had any tips on what to use or different ways to catch them,THANX

fm

My favourite is using a small jig head (white is my preference) and tip it with a small piece of chicken skin. I dye the skin red and it seems to work really well. Also it will never fall off so it lasts forever. I have fished around the Cranbrook area and have caught a few over 14 inches and a lot around twelve. You will just have to weed through the small ones to get to the bigger fish.

Another thing I like to try is using a small lead jig head and putting on a mini-tube. They are about 1 inch in length and come in a wide variety of colors, use the brighter colors they seem to work the best. I have even caught the odd bass with these methods so go and give it a try and I wish you luck.

My favourite is using a small jig head (white is my preference) and tip it with a small piece of chicken skin. I dye the skin red and it seems to work really well. Also it will never fall off so it lasts forever. I have fished around the Cranbrook area and have caught a few over 14 inches and a lot around twelve. You will just have to weed through the small ones to get to the bigger fish.

Another thing I like to try is using a small lead jig head and putting on a mini-tube. They are about 1 inch in length and come in a wide variety of colors, use the brighter colors they seem to work the best. I have even caught the odd bass with these methods so go and give it a try and I wish you luck.

I grew up beside a lake in Alberta that was full of perch. As embarassed as I am to say it there is nothing like mini marshmellows on a straight hook. One thing I know for sure (after spending countless hours face down on a dock with a line in my hand) is that they tend to move around alot. You can fish one place for an hour without a hit and then for a short while the hook barely gets to the bottom before they attack it. Then you pull in a dozen or so.
They are good eating, but a terribly boring fish to catch.

I grew up beside a lake in Alberta that was full of perch. As embarassed as I am to say it there is nothing like mini marshmellows on a straight hook. One thing I know for sure (after spending countless hours face down on a dock with a line in my hand) is that they tend to move around alot. You can fish one place for an hour without a hit and then for a short while the hook barely gets to the bottom before they attack it. Then you pull in a dozen or so.

Just moved west to Vancouver Island in Oct from Mississauga On. We were very lucky to live an hour or so away from Lake Simcoe which holds some real jumbo perch. It was plenty of fun catching these jumbos on super ultra light ice tackle. We used maggots and waxworms or minnows. Not sure if regs allow that in BC. Strange regs as nearby Shawnigan Lake has unwanted perch yet they set a limit of 25. That's wacked!! Seems funny seeing postings for pike and perch when it seems like everyone in BC only targets salmon and trout.
I can't wait to do more Bass fishing around Invermere as it is pretty wicked.

Just moved west to Vancouver Island in Oct from Mississauga On. We were very lucky to live an hour or so away from Lake Simcoe which holds some real jumbo perch. It was plenty of fun catching these jumbos on super ultra light ice tackle. We used maggots and waxworms or minnows. Not sure if regs allow that in BC. Strange regs as nearby Shawnigan Lake has unwanted perch yet they set a limit of 25. That's wacked!! Seems funny seeing postings for pike and perch when it seems like everyone in BC only targets salmon and trout.

Have to agree with argo I recently moved from ontario and maggots have always been my number one choice. check the regs first though one other piece of advice if you can fish them with a small slip bobber and keep the maggot just above bottom

martin

Have to agree with argo I recently moved from ontario and maggots have always been my number one choice. check the regs first though one other piece of advice if you can fish them with a small slip bobber and keep the maggot just above bottom

martin

martin

When fishing's slow for perch, try a small blood worm or red chironimid pattern. I sometimes like to tip this with a single maggot. I was out this weekend and landed a couple around 1.5 pounds a piece. I took them on dragonfly nymph patterns. Although this was ice fishing, In the summer, spring, and even fall these fly patterns still work. Try a mohair leech pattern as well, this might surprise you.

I'd like to thank you folks for tuning in. I'll see you again next time on sportfishingbc.com!

When fishing's slow for perch, try a small blood worm or red chironimid pattern. I sometimes like to tip this with a single maggot. I was out this weekend and landed a couple around 1.5 pounds a piece. I took them on dragonfly nymph patterns. Although this was ice fishing, In the summer, spring, and even fall these fly patterns still work. Try a mohair leech pattern as well, this might surprise you.

I'd like to thank you folks for tuning in. I'll see you again next time on sportfishingbc.com!

Back