Pellicle. Yes you need it.

Rain City

Crew Member
So I just finished a batch of smoked whites. @Reeltime 's brining method of course, it really is the fool proof way of getting the salt right. 24 hours then onto trays to dry. As an aside I stopped rinsing because my brine is now quite sweet which I like. I really like the end result. So where I f***ed up this time was I stacked my trays on top of eachother in the fridge and let it sit overnight. I didn't bother to separate them, huge mistake. When I pulled them apart some of the chunks were still moist on top. Figured it was time for some science. After 4 hours on the smoke at 125 I then baste with maple syrup and put it back in for an hour at 165. It was at this point I realised that the chunks that hadn't formed the pellicle were soft and oozing oils. They just looked like they were in a smoky sauna for 4 hours sweating their bags off and nobody had a towel for their soggy, wrinkly, mushy crotches. The ones that did form a pellicle had turned firm and shiny with golden brown tans. So NO the pellicle does not help the smoke penetrate the meat as some recipes state. It actually forms a skin to retain the oils and gives a much nicer texture and appearance. Thanks for listening.
Resized_20200906_223337.jpeg

Last edited:
I've screwed up a number of batches over past year or 2. Tried the chicken feed sprinkle method which I believe is the Reeltime recipe you were referring to but it didn't work out for me. Couldn't taste the salt at all and the flavours weren't there. Most likely I did something wrong with the recipe since it seems like a popular one. The member Browningmirage gave me a recipe of 8 to 1 which worked out better for me but it has a longer brining time that I need to tweak to suit my preference.. Saw a video on YouTube from a seasoned angler in Alaska who has what seemed like a small business operation making and selling smoked salmon. He uses a liquid brine. Can anyone tell me whether they have experimented with a liquid brine and if so, what the difference in taste and texture of the end product as compared to a dry brine?

So I just finished a batch of smoked whites. @Reeltime 's brining method of course, it really is the fool proof way of getting the salt right. 24 hours then onto trays to dry. As a side I stopped rinsing because my brine is now quite sweet which I like. I really like the end result. So where I f***ed up this time was I stacked my trays on top of eachother in the fridge and let it sit overnight. I didn't bother to separate them, huge mistake. When I pulled them apart some of the chunks were still moist on top. Figured it was time for some science. After 4 hours on the smoke at 125 I then baste with maple syrup and put it back in for an hour at 165. It was at this point I realised that the chunks that hadn't formed the pellicle were soft and oozing oils. They just looked like they were in a smoky sauna for 4 hours sweating their bags off and nobody had a towel for their soggy, wrinkly, mushy crotches. The ones that did form a pellicle had turned firm and shiny with golden brown tans. So NO the pellicle does not help the smoke penetrate the meat as some recipes state. It actually forms a skin to retain the oils and gives a much nicer texture and appearance. Thanks for listening.
View attachment 56720
That colour looks unreal looks juicy, that fan drying step out of the whole process is key i found, like you said keeps it sealed and locks in all the oils

That recipe if you do it 5 times and change the amount of salt you dust on, you will see a difference and sorta get it dialed in, try the next one with extra salt it will be saltier, if there thick pieces you will definitely need to go heavy on the salt.. it's a recipe thats not to salty or sweet just a light flavour more the fish to shine through..

I've screwed up a number of batches over past year or 2. Tried the chicken feed sprinkle method which I believe is the Reeltime recipe you were referring to but it didn't work out for me. Couldn't taste the salt at all and the flavours weren't there. Most likely I did something wrong with the recipe since it seems like a popular one. The member Browningmirage gave me a recipe of 8 to 1 which worked out better for me but it has a longer brining time that I need to tweak to suit my preference.. Saw a video on YouTube from a seasoned angler in Alaska who has what seemed like a small business operation making and selling smoked salmon. He uses a liquid brine. Can anyone tell me whether they have experimented with a liquid brine and if so, what the difference in taste and texture of the end product as compared to a dry brine?

That colour looks unreal looks juicy, that fan drying step out of the whole process is key i found, like you said keeps it sealed and locks in all the oils
Thanks man. This is the moist version for sure. More of a meal than a beer drinking snack like the candied.

I used liquid brine for decades, I’m now playing around with dry brine for my last two or three batches. I don’t notice an appreciable difference. Both work well and get the job done. I’m sure many may argue though, we do that well here. LOL
Everybody likes the outcome different to their own tastes. You just have to fiddle around until you get it to your own liking.
I like mine on the dry and sweeter side. I accomplish the sweet with a maple syrup glaze I apply during the final stages of drying and add some more to the finished product.

Forming the pellicle is very important. I smoke my fish in the fall when it’s cooler outside. After brining, I put my fish on the racks and leave it in a cool dry place overnight before smoking.

Back