Peetz Reels

Finished Business

Hey all.

I know there are a lot of fans of the vintage Peetz reels, especially those who still fish with them! Over the last couple months I have been working hard to organize a set (4) of near mint condition reels that I plan to use for Halibut fishing, and I really look forward to pairing them with the 2 MR2's I picked up through the off-season (thanks Wooly!). I really look forward to my first double header, one on the industry leading Islander, and the other on where it all started, the Peetz Reel.....it should be fun!

I think there may be a few people who can appreciate these photos. I am trying to figure out the vintage of the reels, but with research I estimate them to be from the 70's, with maybe 1 or 2 reels of an earlier vintage. One thing I can't seem to find much info on is, in the last picture, you can see that one reel is slightly narrower than the other (4-3/4" Reels). I may have to give Peetz a call to see if they can help...

Hope you enjoy the photos, I can't WAIT to fish them!!

Cheers! Oh, 2 are 4-3/4" reels and the 2 are 6" reels.

-FB-

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

Wow... those are in nice shape.

I happened upon a collector in white rock who just collected stuff and had no particular attachment to them fishing-wise. He just liked them because they were old reels. I managed the first larger pair before the holidays and after seeing his collection I couldn't resist getting the two smaller reels as well to use off the downrigger and for mooching. BUT after I contacted him in the near year he had traded the remainder of the collection to an antique shop in Chillwack. Today I just picked up the smaller reels from the dealer to complete my set.
I paid more than the $10-40 I've read of some paying, but they likely have never seen line. This will be my first time using a wooden reel, so I was thinking of using dacron backing as recommended by many to avoid reel rupture. After that is it safe to use mono (30lb) for the mooching reels and and a soft 80lb tuffline braid for the bigger 6" reels?

Any insight would be appreciated.

If anyone would like more information as to the whereabouts of the remainder of the collection, 2-6" reels, 5- 4-3/4", and 4- 3" ish are left remaining and are still for sale. PM me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats he asking for one of the little ones?

FB: Get a hold of Bill Hooson @ Peetz Manufacturing here in Victoria, 2740 Rock Bay Ave Victoria, BC V8T 4R9
(250) 383-5342.

You could maybe email him the pics to get a better idea of vintage of these beauties. Bills a good guy and would surely help all he can.

Good luck.

If you do talk to him, tell him Terry Anderson says "hello"!

FB: Get a hold of Bill Hooson @ Peetz Manufacturing here in Victoria, 2740 Rock Bay Ave Victoria, BC V8T 4R9
(250) 383-5342.

You could maybe email him the pics to get a better idea of vintage of these beauties. Bills a good guy and would surely help all he can.

Good luck.

If you do talk to him, tell him Terry Anderson says "hello"!

Thanks for 2x the info Terry! I will see if I have time to give him a buzz this week and send your regards as well.

Cheers!

I have been using a vintage Peetz for salmon trolling for 2 years. I love the thing. The wing nut drag setting is very coarse which is great. You can go from "locked down" (this reel never creeps) to almost free running in less than one turn. Also the reel drum has some mass so it does not need a fancy drag to provide resistance to a running fish. Plus the wide smooth varnished rim is perfect for palming if required. I really cannot see why anyone would want a modern fancy alloy reel at all. I picked up my Peetz for $20!!

I now have two more Peetzes that I bought last summer in a thrift store for $30 each. I don't get much opportunity to go haly fishing but I am going to give one a try for that. I believe I can get more "cranking" with one of these 4 and 3/4 inch reels than I can with the bait casting reel I have now which causes the rod to "rock" back and forth in my hand. And if I can find a 6'' one on sale I reckon I will be all set!!

I put 80lb. Tuff line on my 6"ers,but will switch to 65lb. this year.Less blowback in a running tide will give me more
time on either side of the slack to fish. I run one 4 3/4" with 50 yards of 50lb. dacron and 300 yds. mono. on one side
while trolling for springs. Love the sound of the drag when a good one starts to peel!! Gets the adrenaline going every
time.

Still use the 6" for halibut. Sure spins up when the hali heads to the bottom. I Still use the peetz on my center line with a 2lb drop wieght pulling plugs around at bamfield. Know you have a god one when runs and sounds with a 2lb ball on the line

Got my first proper rod/reel for my 5th birthday (1980)...the reel was the same as the one on the right in the second photo. Many good times with that set-up. Just gave the rod to my 4 year old son last summer, but the reel is in retirement in a dusty box somewhere in my dad's garage.

When using mono even with dacron backing you should pull off the line you used that day and wind it back on without any weight. If you wind it on under load it will eventually warp the spool and it will rub on the backing plate.

Very cool. Nice piece of history. Finding one and restoring it has been on my list of things to do for awhile. Also was wondering about modern mono on a wooden reel. I have had Shimanos crack in the spool even with the recomended backing.

yeah FB they are cool I used all Peetz reels last year at Nootka , Got Dacron Backing and 80lb camo braid then a 30lb mono topshot so it holds in the downrigger clips better for trolling , they look and sound cool, then I have the big Peetz with the counter on it on a new 5'8" shimano Trevala for Hali just slack the drag off and it goes down smooth as silk, with that big drum it looks like its got a mile of line on it. The problem I had was judging how much backing to use to have the mainline just to the top of the brass so I get faster retrieval
S

The bigger recorder reels are pretty rare from my searching...

cool info everyone. Great to hear these kinds of stories!

Back