Peetz One-Way Drag Retrofit

Che

Recently acquired an old 5" knuckle duster and was thinking of the conversion to the modern drag. They want $99 plus shipping. Conversion and overhauling the reel costs $159 plus shipping. A brand new reel is $289.

Worth the $$$? Anyone done this before? What's the turnaround time? Nothing can replace the sound of a peetz reel...

I think we have 6 of the old Peetz now. Whenever we see them cheap on CL or Used....... we grab them. One of them is a 6" that I learned to fish with 40 years ago. We have had 3 of them refurbished and Peetz does a fantastic job. However, they don't sand them down to remove any imperfections. They clean them up, give the brass good polish, clean up the hardware and replace as necessary. Then apply a good coat of spar finish or whatever it is they use. The reels come back working like new but retain all the patina of an old reel. Some people might not like that but I love it. We didn't get the drag retrofit as I couldn't imagine any situation where I would want a 2 way drag but that's a personal choice. We usually have a restored 5" Peetz matched to a convergence fishing on one side all the time. I love watching inexperienced friends take a good crack to the knuckles. The 6" we use for halibut or bottom fish.

Hope that helps,
Brian

Thanks Brian.

I currently run a Peetz 80% of the time for one rod. Every time I send it down I want the fish to bite that rod. Always put my #1 choice of lure on it. The palm burn, the way the reel vibrates as the line goes it just can't be beat. So I'm looking to just run Peetz reels, buuuut the modern drag from my tyee's and shimano's is such a step up that I'd like to convert this oldie but goodie reel I picked up for cheap.

I had a reel retrofitted last year, awesome job! Like Brian said they leave the imperfection and they look great when they are done up. I put mine down only when it's the wife and I on the boat.

Mike

If you have the old wood handles, make sure they put them back on during the refurbishing. I had a friend send his in and it came back with plastic handles and he was not a happy camper.

x2 on the handles. I always ask them to put the wooden knobs back on. I take the plastic ones though so I have spares for the inevitable day when the wood ones fail. Also make sure to ask for the storage bag. They clearly state on their website that a storage bag is included with the refurbish but from our experience they never offer it to you when you pick the reel up.

I had a reel retrofitted last year, awesome job!

How do you find adjusting the drag with a fish on? I've gotten pretty good at 'thumbing' the wingnut just a c-hair to just get a wee bit more or less drag. Does the modern drag need to be as tuneable, or is it more like a set it and forget it like most modern reels.

I run peetz all the time and recently bought a new peetz evolution here in the buy and sell
It’s the same drag they do the retro fit with its nice but I still run the old one all the time as well
The only weird thing is it doesn’t click on retrieval I kind of miss it , it’s too quiet too guicci too pretty boy all silent and all

It’s the same clicker going out which I love

I think Peetz needs to figure out how to turn the clicker back on on retrieval for us people who like making noise

I had it done 2 years ago and like the result.I use it for my center rod straight out the back "old school"with a 1 or 2 lb. cannonball hanging off a bead chain swivel.Sure gets the adrenelin going when your daydreaming and that sucker starts to sing.Love IT!!

I had one done. the tension is east to set, and I usually adjust the tension to the fish out of habit anyway. I like it. It's not my go to reel, but it is easier to learn than an original Peetz or my old Shimano 2000 GT

I do like the new drag though on the new ones on the old ones if your fishing deep or have a strong current sometimes you have to set it so tight to not run out , had a fish hit hard once and it turned the holder on the downrigger 90 degrees luckily I grabbed the rod in time
I just want the option of the clicker on retrieval, not happy with the silent Sam , it’s like I’m in stealth mode don’t want to attract seals maybe
Will probably always run the Peetz they just look cool and have that awesome sound when they run

I do like the new drag though on the new ones on the old ones if your fishing deep or have a strong current sometimes you have to set it so tight to not run out , had a fish hit hard once and it turned the holder on the downrigger 90 degrees luckily I grabbed the rod in time
I just want the option of the clicker on retrieval, not happy with the silent Sam , it’s like I’m in stealth mode don’t want to attract seals maybe
Will probably always run the Peetz they just look cool and have that awesome sound when they run
I used to have the same problem with my Islander. Now I attach a small lake downrigger clip on the gunnel near the rod holder. I put that clip on the line just above the reel. That way I can set the drag as loose as I want without creep. If you forget to take the clip off when a fish hits, it gets naturally knocked off when you reel in.Rigger clip.png

Back