PCOC/insurance

Degree of Freedom

just got a call from my insurance company double checking that I have my pleasure craft operator's card...apparently several of the insurance underwriters are now voiding your insurance if you don't have it.
Just a warning to any procrastinators out there (I just got mine in April)...there could be a much larger cost to not having your card than just a ticket.

The PCOC card is not the only answer. If you have completed a Power squadron or other Nationally recognized and sanctioned boating course, your card of completion is "proof of competency" which is the same as the PCOC.

It would be interesting to see how the insurance companies view Proof of competency.

I had my insurance agent tell me that that includes everybody on the wheel. My 16 year old got his, now I've got to get my wife to get hers too. What a money grab.

no kiddin...bs money grab. my wife has her card and barely knows how to put the boat in gear. she spent an hour reading the book, wrote the test and passed.
I agree with making boating safer...but this isn't doing it.

BTW...this thread wasn't started to get a debate going on the PCOC, just a warning to those that haven't bothered getting it yet.

Back