Panel wiring re-do advice sought.

Tightlines22

I removed an uneeded storage wall as it was almost impossible to check on the wiring in my Campion. This is what I have.
I'd like to tidy it up and label things in case I ever have an issue. I'm looking for advice from others that have been through this before.
Just about everything works although there are numerous "loose" ends and connections so I'm gonna give it a go.
Btw there is a fuse panel behind that birds nest!

IMG_0174.JPG

Wow
Not to hard to fix up all depends on how far you want to take it. Some of that wire looks like tew 105... Car wire. You could replace it with tew tinned marine wire. Get rid of the car splices and go with heat shrink. Trace back the open wires to a solid point. Easy DIY project that will help your boat out.

Compared to my boat that doesn't look bad at all. For sure replace those splices with heat shrink connectorsUnknown-1.jpeg
There are some excellent package deals these days on eBay like this:images.jpeg
But dip your wire ends in this before you put them in:Unknown-2.jpeg

Again your situation doesn't look bad. I would consider maybe some labelling. Not sure where your fuses are.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 9
IMG_0206.JPG Thanks for the advice. I will be getting some hot shrink connectors and new wires where needed. In the meantime I spent half a day tidying up what's there and its quite a bit better already. Cut a second access hole to route some wires, lumped together groups of wires and rerouted some tangled ones. Can actually see the fuse panel now!

Are the fuses accessible from the outside?
The breaker panel is available on the front of the dash for main items like lights, horn, washer, secondary bilge etc.
The smaller fuse panel is at the bottom of the pic which is behind my dash. Also have some independent fuses at stern for the auto bilge pumps.

This is an opinion - I'd consider converting the auto bilge pumps to breakers; much quicker to get them back online & wouldn't want to be accessing fuses is rough seas.

I'd also re-located the "buried" fuses.

Blue Sea makes some breaker modules you can populate with various sizes of breakers.

Thanks for that suggestion. I was thinking the exact same thing last week when my water alarm went off and both bilge pumps had blown fuses. So I will aim to make that change as soon as I can. As for the fuse panel it is easily accessible now that I rerouted some wiring.

Ummm, you might want to investigate the cause of the blown bilge pump fuses, I've never had one go unless the pump is cooked or there is something stuck in it. Last year I changed all my bilge pumps over to self resetting breakers, if some debris gets caught in the pump, the breaker can trip off and reset while the offending bits (hopefully) float away. The breakers I installed are set at the ampacity of the wires (15 amps if I recall) so I don't get nuisance trips.
Having a bilge pump that pops fuses can be a real problem when you need to clear a bilge.

Thanks for the advice. I have wondered why they both blew the fuses as well. They are good quality Rule pumps. Mind you they suggest 3 and 4 amp fuses which I thought was kinda low. Perhaps I will try a bit higher for now.

Make sure the wire can carry higher amps. Fuses are there to protect the wire not the device. If you have a problem and the fuse is higher than the wire, then the wire will melt.

Yep. ^^^ guy I used to work with back in the day installed a stereo in his Suzuki samurai. Too large of a fuse and as he was driving down the road saw an orange glow under/behind stereo. Nice burnt bone deep slice in his finger when he grabbed the wire to pull it apart. Cauterized it though haha so no blood on his carpet.

Back