Pacific Northwest LNG Project is NOT Proceeding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo

Crew Member
Pacific NorthWest LNG Project Is Not Proceeding
Today Pacific NorthWest LNG’s partners announced that the project will not be moving forward.

The decision was made by the project partners following a total review of the project amid changes in market conditions.

For almost five years we have been working with local governments, First Nations, residents and businesses about our proposed project and are very grateful for the support we have received.

Thank you to the communities of Port Edward and Prince Rupert for welcoming Pacific NorthWest LNG and hosting our local outreach offices. In addition, thank you to all the communities in northwestern BC who expressed an interest in the project and took the time to work with us.

We would also like to recognize the time and efforts of all the area First Nations, including the Lax Kwa’laams First Nation, Metlakatla First Nation, Kitsumkalum First Nation, Gitxaala First Nation and Gitga’at First Nation, and all of the other nations residing in the Prince Rupert area who have kindly provided us feedback.

Our team members have been warmly welcomed by the communities. Thank you to the dozens of local businesses who we have had the opportunity to work with in the recent years.

Pacific NorthWest LNG will complete our outstanding business commitments by the end of September. Our Prince Rupert and Port Edward offices are scheduled to be closed effective August 25, 2017.

Pacific NorthWest LNG Project Is Not Proceeding
Today Pacific NorthWest LNG’s partners announced that the project will not be moving forward.

The decision was made by the project partners following a total review of the project amid changes in market conditions.

For almost five years we have been working with local governments, First Nations, residents and businesses about our proposed project and are very grateful for the support we have received.

Thank you to the communities of Port Edward and Prince Rupert for welcoming Pacific NorthWest LNG and hosting our local outreach offices. In addition, thank you to all the communities in northwestern BC who expressed an interest in the project and took the time to work with us.

We would also like to recognize the time and efforts of all the area First Nations, including the Lax Kwa’laams First Nation, Metlakatla First Nation, Kitsumkalum First Nation, Gitxaala First Nation and Gitga’at First Nation, and all of the other nations residing in the Prince Rupert area who have kindly provided us feedback.

Our team members have been warmly welcomed by the communities. Thank you to the dozens of local businesses who we have had the opportunity to work with in the recent years.

Pacific NorthWest LNG will complete our outstanding business commitments by the end of September. Our Prince Rupert and Port Edward offices are scheduled to be closed effective August 25, 2017.
A foregone conclusion--I think!

Pure coincidence that this comes 5 days after enviros win a court decision that could potentially throw the pipeline that will supply the LNG port back into years more regulatory limbo????

VANCOUVER — The National Energy Board must reconsider whether a proposed natural gas pipeline critical to the development of the Pacific NorthWest liquefied natural gas project falls within provincial or federal jurisdiction, the Federal Court of Appeal has ruled.

The judgment marks a setback for the $36-billion LNG development, which secured conditional approval from the federal government last year.
"The board did not ask itself whether an arguable case for federal jurisdiction had been made out," wrote Justice Donald J. Rennie in his decision Wednesday in response to a proceeding launched by Michael Sawyer, who received funding support from the SkeenaWild Conservation Trust.

Sawyer argued the Prince Rupert Gas Transmission Project, a roughly 900-kilometre pipeline from Hudson's Hope, B.C., to a natural gas terminal on the province's Lelu Island, required federal and not provincial approvals.

The province has green-lighted the pipeline project proposed by TransCanada Corp. (TSX:TRP). But the overall venture is still waiting for a final commitment from Pacific NorthWest LNG, which would build and operate the $11-billion facility on Lelu Island, if it proceeds.
Pacific NorthWest LNG, whose majority owner is Malaysia-based Petronas, could not be reached for comment. On its website, it says it is conducting an internal review of the project and will then table it to shareholders for a final investment decision.

Prior to launching the case, Sawyer had filed an application to the NEB asking it to hold a hearing to determine what jurisdiction the pipeline project falls under. He argued that while the pipeline's route falls fully within the province, it would ship gas destined to be exported to markets overseas, and therefore should be under federal jurisdiction.

The NEB rejected his application, but now must reconsider it due to Rennie's ruling.

"The board is reviewing the court decision and will consider next steps after doing so," NEB spokesman James Stevenson said Thursday in an email.

TransCanada has 60 days to apply for leave to appeal. Spokesman Matthew John said in an email that the company is still reviewing the ruling and considering its options

More: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/transcanada-neb-pipeline-court-july-2017-1.4215392

Good news for a change. Bottom line is there isn't a demand and we are really too expensive compared to Russia etc. From a business standpoint regardless of regulations it makes no sense.

I don't think it's ever good news when industry walks out and cancels a promising project but what ever. The way they have been building pipelines the last couple years I think companies knew it would never come to fruit in BC, too much regulation and to many hurdles, the gas is going out through A.B. then south and out through the U.S. LNG terminals in Oregon, Washington and the east coast U.S. and other ports. Gas is easy to ship and easy to direct and redirect. B.C.'s loss no one else's. Our drilling projects are full steam ahead in B.C. they are just losing more jobs to other jurisdictions but no skin off me. Lots of construction jobs lost there, lots more maybe on site c, more lost maybe on trans mountain lol, wow, just wow, better hope the pot industry gets rolling boys.

Good. The liberals kept dropping their pants to seduce Petronas, but the market fundamentals were not there. What's the point of selling off finite resources with little to no benefit to the people of BC, other than a few thousand construction workers for a couple of years? Keep it in the ground until it's profitable. It literally costs us nothing to store until prices and demand go up. As for regulations - if you think corporations are going to minimize environmental impact and protect workers out of the goodness of their hearts, I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't think it's ever good news when industry walks out and cancels a promising project but what ever. The way they have been building pipelines the last couple years I think companies knew it would never come to fruit in BC, too much regulation and to many hurdles, the gas is going out through A.B. then south and out through the U.S. LNG terminals in Oregon, Washington and the east coast U.S. and other ports. Gas is easy to ship and easy to direct and redirect. B.C.'s loss no one else's. Our drilling projects are full steam ahead in B.C. they are just losing more jobs to other jurisdictions but no skin off me. Lots of construction jobs lost there, lots more maybe on site c, more lost maybe on trans mountain lol, wow, just wow, better hope the pot industry gets rolling boys.

No I don't think that is it. Let's not kid ourselves. China made the decision not us. They will be buying it from Russia. The demand wasn't there and the liberals were warned about that years ago. So a result the company pulled out.

Yep. Bad news indeed. If your not from here. Being a full time resident of this fine province this is awesome news. I agree 100 percent. Keep it in the ground.

No LNG and Alberta oil sands still not up to snuff market wise so what happens to site C??

Last edited:
Good. The liberals kept dropping their pants to seduce Petronas, but the market fundamentals were not there. What's the point of selling off finite resources with little to no benefit to the people of BC, other than a few thousand construction workers for a couple of years? Keep it in the ground until it's profitable. It literally costs us nothing to store until prices and demand go up. As for regulations - if you think corporations are going to minimize environmental impact and protect workers out of the goodness of their hearts, I have a bridge to sell you.

Because they're not keeping it in the ground you guys, gee whiz man we are drilling it up. I've been up there 3 years now we haven't ran less than 4 to 5 rigs a year the company I work for, we are just one company, Encana is running 12, Toemaline 8 I believe and so on. The northern part of your province is going nuts right now Dawson Creek and FSJ and north are going full throttle boys, your resources are flying out the gate and you are all getting very little for it. The locals up there are doing great, your getting some royalties but why wouldn't you want as much out of it as you could get. Yes a few hundred construction jobs, then on to the next project, then the next. Pipeline jobs and so on. Port jobs on the coast, plant jobs on the coast all very high paying jobs, why wouldn't you want that. Somebody is getting them, just not you guys, the mericans will take em no sweat lol.

But like I said, what ever, no skin off mine. I just feel for the people that were looking forward to having the jobs. I like to see all regions do well, I wish prosperity for the whole country man, that's all.

Last edited:
630 full time jobs. Come to the Okanagan. Hundreds of guys here from Alberta lookin for work.
Lol, don't worry about the Alberta boys we are doing fine, we are looking after our own. Lots of displaced Canadians that came to our province finally left and went else where but our own are doing just fine. Personally I never missed a beat, but I'm old stock Albertan, deep roots in the industry, looked after my own as well, my 3 boys never been so busy and many families are doing the same. But you can have our transients thank you very much for that.

But I said my piece back to fishing for me, later boys, take care.

Excellent news! B.C.'s second largest estuary gets a break (might be tad important to....anglers like us), our air doesn't get super-polluted by these clowns' plan of burning 20% of the natural gas to power their operation, and maybe some people get a chance to re-think the direction that the world needs to take with energy sources. Fossil fuels are on the way out; let's get with the times. It's just sad that the this dirty project was stopped by the gas company itself, instead of our elected representatives.

Some interesting reads:
B.C. Lieberals' coverup of the full carbon impact:
http://policyoptions.irpp.org/2016/06/10/pacific-northwest-lng-correcting-bcs-carbon-pollution-math/

More details:
https://www.desmog.ca/2016/09/22/what-you-need-know-about-impending-pacific-northwest-lng-decision
and:
https://www.desmog.ca/2017/07/25/pacific-northwest-lng-dead-5-things-you-need-know

Normally I don't comment on this sort of topic but what the hell.

Can't say I've ever lived in a province before where there are so many people that seems to be so against almost everything when it comes to job creation. They don't want Site C,,they don't want the pipelines, they don't want LNG, they don't want the commercial fishery, they don't want any logging, they don't want any mining etc etc etc.. However the majority of this same group of people still seem to want all the benefits and luxuries that they/we currently have but oh yes, I almost forgot,,,,they don't want the government to raise taxes in order for us to keep all of these benefits and services that we are so fortunate to have..

I believe that it's only a matter of time when MOST companies that want to develop resources in BC will stop trying because it will not be economical to do so due to the never ending road blocks that one group or another are just itching to throw in front of them.

But I keep forgetting and have to keep reminding myself, we will have a NDP government in full swing very shortly and all will be good in the world again. Well, good luck with that.. Maybe all of our kids will get good paying jobs working for these groups that are against EVERYTHING. Somebody must be funding it because there seems to be a lot of them out there.

aaaahhhh, I feel better already.. I should vent more often..

PS..My sister-in-law just opened the patio door and said, "oh, you can really smell the pot in the breeze now". As "walleyes" noted in an earlier post, better hope the pot industry gets rolling. Maybe someone heard him..

I believe that it's only a matter of time when MOST companies that want to develop resources in BC will stop trying because it will not be economical to do so due to the never ending road blocks that one group or another are just itching to throw in front of them.
Yep. It's not a matter of time anymore as it's already happening.
BTW, you forgot to add the Massy Bridge to your list... :D

I see in the news this morning reference the LNG cancellation that the premier is reaching out to FN---what the hell for!!!---they got what they wanted. it was shut down---oh I forgot so were the jobs and Grants to FN that went with it!! Now we have to feel sorry for the folks that were against it !! I'm goin fishing--just saying!

I'm not for or against legalized marijuana. But I have to ask, what makes 630 gas related jobs better than thousands of jobs in the legal weed industry? You pro lng guys keep pointing your finger at BC buts it's a federal matter. That means you will have legal weed in Alta and every other province too. Suck it up.

I'm not for or against legalized marijuana. But I have to ask, what makes 630 gas related jobs better than thousands of jobs in the legal weed industry? You pro lng guys keep pointing your finger at BC buts it's a federal matter. That means you will have legal weed in Alta and every other province too. Suck it up.
Investment in infrastructure projects and assets (roads, refineries, bridges, power plants, you name it...) provide the foundations for long term economic growth and expansion of other industries and subsequent investments. This will in turn create hundreds if jobs and GDP growth. The keyword here is LONG TERM.

Weed and LNG? I don't think you're comparing apples with apples here.

so what're you saying? There's plenty of info out there on how many jobs will be created. Thousands verses a few hundred. If your gonna count spin offs there's a lot of spin off jobs in the MJ field too. Research it then come back and tell me why a job in the marijuana industry is not as good as a job in the
LNG field? And again I'm not
For or against. Just using the same reasoning you are. "Jobs".

Dont think anyone said they were better/worse. But the Gas company spends massive amounts into the economy, the sub firms involved (safety, environmental etc) are many.

Gas industry isn't trying to halt pot.

Just a thought.

Oh I know, but pretty hard to cry about the lost jobs, the lost jobs,and bad mouth the weed industry when it's going to supply more jobs than Petronas would have. Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back