Pacific Balance Peniped Society Implodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
Thomas SewidtoPACIFIC BALANCE TO PROTECT OUR SALMON
3 hrs ·
SHARK ATTACK LAST NIGHT!

Last night Pacific Balance Pinniped Society director Matt Stabler put forth a motion stripping Chief Roy Jones Jr. as Chairman at a director’s conference call. Director Gary Bigger seconded this motion.

Chief Roy Jones and I were the only ones against motion. Ken Pearce, Matt Stabler, Yogi and Roger Paquette (Hub City Fisheries) were in favor of Roy’s removal as Chairman.

His next motion was to have me removed as a director. Matt Stabler put forth this motion and discussion commenced after it was seconded.

The board feels that posting pictures and videos of seals and sea lions being harvested under food, social and ceremonial needs by B.C. First Nations is not conduct becoming a director? Mind you, these pictures were not used in posts until Roy and I agreed we needed to increase the First Nations efforts to help protect our salmon.

I was honored to hear Roy Jones Jr. state that with the removal of Thomas Sewid from board; he would be submitting his resignation post-haste. He went on to elaborate with integrity, the amount of work I have put into the campaign to educate many that a harvest with license to sell pinniped products must take place.

(The vote commenced and I was removed. I will note that Roger Paquette of Hub City Fisheries took a while to submit vote in support of my removal, but mentioned it did trouble him and he did not favor it?)

Matt and Yogi both jumped at Roy to reconsider his decision to resign. I saw that in the boards removal of Roy as Chairman and their want of him continuing as a director that Matt made the offer of, was an act of using Roy as a figured head to get D.F.O. support for harvest.

Seeing as Roy is the founder of the pinniped harvest for B.C. and Pacific Balance Pinniped Society and having 37+ years dedication to the cause, it will not go unnoticed by D.F.O. that he no longer is part of the P.B.P.S. board.

This morning I saw in my emails that Chief Roy Jones did submit his resignation to the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society board. I am honored to have been recruited by Roy to serve on the society with him while helping to get the process moving forward.

I heard that Robert Hughes the First Nations director from North Coast also resigned last night due to Roy and I being removed by P.B.P.S. board. Robert stated this after Roy and I left the conference call.

Roy and I are in agreement that a massive wedge has been driven in between First Nations and non-aboriginal B.C. residents when it comes to P.B.P.S. Matt made mention that other First Nations were interested in filling our seats on board? I caution any First Nations that may want to join the remnants of P.B.P.S. board, what has transpired of late your First Nations interests will not be addressed, where in essence you will be nothing more than a Token Indian.

I told Gary Bigger straight out he best remember Battle for The Plains of Abraham where Metis had to make a choice of who they supported. As a Metis Fisheries Director of western Canada for his nation, he should understand his support of ousting First Nations directors from the board will not go unnoticed by Canadian First Nations and Inuit? It is very unfortunate Yogi did not defend, support or fight for his fellow seine fisherman that Roy and I are as well.

Roy and I have a choice of stepping aside about the cause and allow the fight for license for a harvest for all to take its’ coarse without our further participation? In doing so I know we can always reflect on what we have contributed to date. We know we have educated so many that there’s a dire situation at hand playing out throughout the waters of the PNW where if not dealt with, salmon and other finfish can soon become extinct in many regions due to predation by an overpopulation of pinnipeds.

Roy and I saw this day coming many months back and prepared for its’ arrival. Like any political rodeo we two have participated in through the years, we simply lick our wounds and see what transpires in coming days? In putting forth this post, we feel that in full disclosure you all should know what took place.

Let it be known though that many individuals and businesses have stepped forward and stated that it may be best to go all First Nations to achieve the goal? As we saw last night, the non-First Nations board members of P.B.P.S. have made that decision for all. Be that as it may, we will never give up the fight to see a pinniped harvest or cull.

We passed First Nations directors of P.B.P.S. would like to thank all that have and are supporting the cause to date. Director Ken Pearce put forth a Go Fund Me Campaign that he controls and it shows $2020.00 has been donated to Pacific Balance Pinniped Society? Roy and I both asked for some reimbursement for moneys we put into the harvest campaign, but were given sarcastic replies. That being said, if you want your money back you should call Ken immediately. Ken 604-839-7756 cohokid3@gmail.com kpearce1@telus.net

For the time being, I have changed the name of the Facebook Group to PACIFIC BALANCE TO PROTECT OUR SALMON. Seeing as I created the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society Facebook Group in the U.S., I shall continue to post to educate and share posts regarding the need for a seal and sea lion harvest to help protect salmon and other fin fish. Roy stated we will keep all up to speed on where our new coarse takes us in regards to getting this harvest licensed for all.

To those that may gloat or find satisfaction knowing Roy and I are no longer part of the board, know that we two have gone down this political path before. What does not kill you makes you stronger. Besides, we have numerous groups and individuals that want us to help generate markets for seal and sea lion products. Aside from the business side, Roy and I both agree, that come hell or high water we must all do all we can to help protect our salmon with a seal and sea lion harvest.

Roy Jones and I would like to thank Calvin Kania of Fur Canada for funding the 1st two meetings to get the society created. His efforts and support will not go unnoticed or forgotten.

Once again, thank you so very much from all our supporters to date.

Thomas SewidDear Board members

I would like to let you all know that due to the relationship breakdown on the board I believe that we will not advance with the issues and having to address the many problems we face in the future we will find ourselves working in an unfriendly atmosphere, also due to the removal of Thomas Sewid who has done so much work for the society I cannot be part of this any further!

I would also like the board to know that I've spent a lot of money to be part of this and in asking Ken Pearce to cover some of my expense I was faced with sarcasm saying "we all need money" as well as starting the conflicts that has got us where we are today!

I would like to thank Calvin Kania for funding the first meetings and the early days of the board for there confidence putting me forward to be the chairman/president of the board. I would like to wish the board luck in the future and I will continue to fight Department of Fisheries & Oceans Canada for a commercial harvest of Seals & Sea Lions. I want it to be clear DFO is not our friend!

I would like the board to except this email as my resignation to the Pacific Balance Pinniped Society, I am deeply sadden by this development and can only wish you well!

--
Chief Roy S Jones Jr

The Board has not "imploded". Far from it.
It has simply removed a trouble-maker.
Tom unfortunately let his ego supersede the importance of the mission.
He repeatedly ignored direction from the Chair, and other board members.
When called on this he became haughty and arrogant, and then played the race card as a final grasp at the straw.

Tom's conduct unbecoming continues.
Publicly Spinning the confidential proceedings of a private Board meeting in an attempt to acquire pity for himself is beyond sad.
The fact he continues to pull the race card is even sadder.

Robert Hughes was never ratified as a Board member, and thus not a part of Board proceedings.

Chief Jones was asked to step down as Chair for a myriad of reasons which do not belong here. He was directly requested to remain on the Board, and his presence will sadly be missed. We have extended an open door policy to him such that he can return at any time he feels comfortable in doing so.

While I wish Tom well in his future pursuits, I also hope that with time he will realize there is no possible gain in his extremely divisive tactics.

There is and always will be a MAJOR Role for FN's in our mission. Period.
There are no racial overtones among any on the Board whatsoever. Period
The Board has several new FN members coming online over the next short time period.
Many of these would not join with us previously due to Tom's association with the Board and his actions. That has now been rectified.
We are also making good progress with DFO and expect that to continue.

Airing this private matter on an open Forum certainly is not anything I consider positive.
There are a lot of parameters related to this individual's inappropriate behavior that quite simply do not belong in the public domain and I will not be going there for that reason.

Admin, please shut this one down.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back