Oyster River Beach Fishing

rudysteelhead

Its been about 10 years since I fly-fished the beach at the oyster and looking to take the kids this coming week. Curios to know if anyone is out there fishing and having any luck? Thanks in advance of any replies.

Rudy

Yes off the beach at Shelter point green handle bar flys were working the best last week also purple, Pink for whatever reason was not producing.

so is this fly flossing, or actual fishing? Id like to get in to beach fishing, but have no idea where to start

so is this fly flossing, or actual fishing? Id like to get in to beach fishing, but have no idea where to start
No-no-real flyfishing-back cast-the whole enchilada--fun to watch-no one there tonight so I'm guessing only on a low tide.

Sexy casting is one thing...a biting fish is another. I've seen too many salmon fly fishers who are nothing more than flossers that it leads me to be skeptical.

I think the thread posting was to be in the saltwater thread .Anyway welcome to the forum Rudy.If you want to keep pinks shore casting in the chuck ,try the bay north/west of the Oyster before kushan pt.coho chances are slim to find a hatchery keeper.still a couple weeks away before the area realy has allot of fish that are targeted by C&R.Try kingfisher resort -trent riv and better your chances at a keeper 1w&1m=2 coho per day , find yourself with pinks there aswell, and a good chance at a puntledge chinook.as fish brain said ,purple /green/chartruse are all good colors for early arrivals.

This is real fishing.
Fly fishing and casting.
No flossing involved.

Good to hear. I see far too many fly flossers, many with an elitist attitude.

For someone who has an 8wt and would like to give this a try, what are the patterns being used? The ol' Mickey Finn? Some sort of steelhead intruder?

I think the thread posting was to be in the saltwater thread .Anyway welcome to the forum Rudy.If you want to keep pinks shore casting in the chuck ,try the bay north/west of the Oyster before kushan pt.coho chances are slim to find a hatchery keeper.still a couple weeks away before the area realy has allot of fish that are targeted by C&R.Try kingfisher resort -trent riv and better your chances at a keeper 1w&1m=2 coho per day , find yourself with pinks there aswell, and a good chance at a puntledge chinook.as fish brain said ,purple /green/chartruse are all good colors for early arrivals.

Can you get into Chinook from the beach in this area? Been wanting to beach fish for them but not sure which areas to check out. If so, when will they be arriving? Any chance of getting into Chum from the same beach later on?

Last edited:
Back