Outside waters rockfish

And if you really want to finish off your steamed salmon nicely here is my go to recipe for past 40 years.
1. Steam salmon until just cooked
2. Flake apart in a shallow dish
3. Chop onion finely and sprinkle over fish
4. Grate fresh or frozen ginger root over fish
5. Sprinkle soya sauce liberally
6. Bring some oil up to a smoking point then scald over the fish

I serve over rice or quinoa

Fishing partner from many years ago taught me this technique. He was a terrific cook.

What kind of oil do you use and approximately how much are you poring onto the fish?

sounds yummy

Oly

I use Canola as olive oil doesn’t like the high heat. I don’t use a lot. Maybe an 1/8 of a cup on a nice sized piece. Secret is to drip the drops of oil rather than pour it. It infuses the soya, ginger and onion onto the fish. Most of the oil ends up passing through onto the bottom of the serving dish mixed in with the soya as the fish doesn’t absorb it. Just a flavoured coating. My kids would scoop out the liquid for their rice.

Quite a few years back now, I found a point on my way out to friendly cove. It only seemed to hold plenty of very large Boccassio Rockfish. The limit in those days was five or so not quite sure. They where very hard to come across for sure in those parts but man I thought they where great eating. Quite large fillets. The fish seemed to range about six to twenty pounds. The fisheries never seemed to pay that much attention to them. Things sure have changed.;) eman

And if you really want to finish off your steamed salmon nicely here is my go to recipe for past 40 years.
1. Steam salmon until just cooked
2. Flake apart in a shallow dish
3. Chop onion finely and sprinkle over fish
4. Grate fresh or frozen ginger root over fish
5. Sprinkle soya sauce liberally
6. Bring some oil up to a smoking point then scald over the fish

I serve over rice or quinoa

Fishing partner from many years ago taught me this technique. He was a terrific cook.

Thanks, sounds like a great method

rockfish 3.jpg rock fish 2.jpg
I would agree Rock Fish are among the most tastiest of fish.
You may wonder why there are so many Rock Fish sanctuaries and the closed areas are growing.
Rock Fish live up to 120 years and reproduce very slowly.
Once you find them, it's not hard to fish them out.
I have not fished them for years once I learned this and will not fish them in the future.
But then there are those who say "if it's legal and I can find them I will take as many as I can"
Not my philosophy and I would encourage those who do legally target them to please consider reasonable restraint.

Last edited:
I prefer rockfish meat over all other white fish. Lots of my fishing buddies also prefer rockfish.

1st: rockfish
2nd: lingcod
3rd: halibut
Nailed it.
Ceviche and whole fried fish. Absolute best eating either way.

1st: Cabezon
2nd: Black Cod
3rd: Pacific Cod

all daily limit of eight by the way.

Are cabezon found in Georgia Straight? Is there a way to specifically target them or are they normally just a rare bycatch when bottom fishing in general. I've never caught one so curious and given your user name thought I would ask.

Are cabezon found in Georgia Straight? Is there a way to specifically target them or are they normally just a rare bycatch when bottom fishing in general. I've never caught one so curious and given your user name thought I would ask.
I have caught a few jigging near Porlier Pass. Poor man’s lobster but I really like the way they fight. Once hooked up you have to reel fast or else they will dive quickly back into the rocks and you will lose all your gears.

They are crab eaters. I usually get them in a mix of sand/gravel bottoms, semi kelpy bays. Num num. rich flavourful meat. Ugly as ..... they croak at ya. Weird sound when your not expecting it.

I personally think rock fish taste great. We always get a bunch of black rockfish. Out of the rockfish they seem to reproduce faster and grow faster faster as well. They also a really fun to catch when schooling suspended in the kelp areas on the wash rocks. They will even take topwater lures. I'm going to take a fly rod along if I get out there this summer again. Fish Tacos!!!

I have caught a few jigging near Porlier Pass. Poor man’s lobster but I really like the way they fight. Once hooked up you have to reel fast or else they will dive quickly back into the rocks and you will lose all your gears.

again, i hear how tasty they are but my experience was not that. how do you prepare your cabezon

steamed rockfish, then pour very hot oil over the fish, dress with some greens, yum.. you can eat almost every piece of meat . no waste.

or whole deep fried until fins a crisped.

for both make sure sure to scale them really well first.
upload_2020-4-27_8-29-1.pngupload_2020-4-27_8-29-1.jpeg
Agree Trophy Whole deep fried rockfish . Done
right (scaled well) there will be nothing but a skeleton left . Even the skin is great. My wife that does not like fish is in there eating the cheeks and all.

View attachment 52266 View attachment 52267
I would agree Rock Fish are among the most tastiest of fish.
You may wonder why there are so many Rock Fish sanctuaries and the closed areas are growing.
Rock Fish live up to 120 years and reproduce very slowly.
Once you find them, it's not hard to fish them out.
I have not fished them for years once I learned this and will not fish them in the future.
But then there are those who say "if it's legal and I can find them I will take as many as I can"
Not my philosophy and I would encourage those who do legally target them to please consider reasonable restraint.
agreed on the need for conservation due to the slow recruitment, FI. AT THE LEAST - we should release all gravid (preggie) female rockfish - the exact same reason we release female crabs & lobsters. We should have some descending device to help w that.
They are crab eaters. I usually get them in a mix of sand/gravel bottoms, semi kelpy bays. Num num. rich flavourful meat. Ugly as ..... they croak at ya. Weird sound when your not expecting it.
Ya, staghorn sculpins do the same thing (grunt) - and both are sculpins.

Crabs, yes - but Cabezon also eat lots of abalone. Cabezon are found shallower and more into the rocks than some rockfish. Closer to abalone. IMHO that shows-up in the green cabezon - abalone eat green algae and incorporate it into their shells. Shells dissolve in stomach acid - and I am assuming those green pigments are incorporated into the green/turquoise cabezon meat/skin pigments.I am sure many have pulled-up those bright green/turquoise cabezon?

Last edited:
agreed on the need for conservation due to the slow recruitment, FI. AT THE LEAST - we should release all gravid (preggie) female rockfish - the exact same reason we release female crabs & lobsters. We should have some descending device to help w that.

yes but if a rec angler release a rockfish is that a saved rockfish? if we catch less does that mean there will be more on the future? if we catch less does that mean another sector gets to catch more?

since we are on the topic of outside rockfish i think it's crazy that we have people browbeating people into feeling bad about fishing for them where there is a new Five Nation sale fishery for them. You won't hear them belly aching about catching them.

I don't think the rec sector has ever helped out a fish stock by falling on our sword. It is a nice sentiment to think about tho.

Last edited:
Back