Outside waters rockfish

fisherman1313

I just have a question about the rockfish limits on outside waters, if anyone has any knowledge.

The regs state:

---Daily limits: Rockfish, all species combined - three (3), only one (1) of
---which may be a Quillback rockfish, a Tiger rockfish, or a China rockfish.
---Zero (0) retention for Yelloweye rockfish and Bocaccio rockfish
---Daily limits: Lingcod - two (2).
---Open time: April 1 to November 15
---Close time: November 16 to March 31

So when they say only one of which may be a Quillback, Tiger, or China, does that mean I can only have 1 of those 3 species in posession overall, or does it mean the limit for each of those species are 1 but all other rockfish are 3.

Example for easier understanding: so can I retain a 3 rockfish limit consisting of 1 Tiger, 1 China, 1 Quillback, or is it that if I have 1 Quillback in my posession, I cannot retain a China or Tiger?

I usually fill the limit on black bass anyway, but I always wondered about this regulation.

I’m not sure how to explain it any better than what it states it’s pretty clear but I’ll try.

You can keep 3 rock fish of any given kind but of those 3 only 1 of them can be either a Quillback rockfish, a Tiger rockfish, or a China rockfish. So you can have 2 black bass and 1 Quillback, or 2 black bass and 1 Tiger rockfish and so on. You can not have in your possession 1 Quillback rockfish, 1 Tiger rockfish, and 1 China rockfish.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how to explain it any better than what it states it’s pretty clear but I’ll try.

You can keep 3 rock fish of any given kind but of those 3 only 1 of them can be either a Quillback rockfish, a Tiger rockfish, or a China rockfish. So you can have 2 black bass and 1 Quillback, or 2 black bass and 1 Tiger rockfish and so on. You can not have in your possession 1 Quillback rockfish, 1 Tiger rockfish, and 1 China rockfish.

Very well explained. Have to say though that it seems to me these newer sport Rockfish regulations are going to cause problems. In addition to the rules above there are usually other Rockfish species that are closed with area variation. With a surprising number of occasional fishermen who can't identify the five species of Pacific Salmon correctly, one wonders how they will be able to handle this. There are a great many species of Rockfish and a wide variety of coloring and pattern variation even within the same species, depending on such things as range distribution, sex and age (juveniles), one wonders how well this will workout. Even very experienced and knowledgeable guys may sometimes have some trouble with it.

Last edited:
The funny part of this is what poor table fare both Quillback & China Rockfish are- the only fish worse is Brown Bombers (which taste like a mouthful of wet tissue paper)

Very well explained. Have to say though that it seems to me these newer sport Rockfish regulations are going to cause problems. In addition to the rules above there are usually other Rockfish species that are closed with area variation. With a surprising number of occasional fishermen who can't identify the five species of Pacific Salmon correctly, one wonders how they will be able to handle this. There are a great many species of Rockfish and a wide variety of coloring and pattern variation even within the same species, depending on such things as range distribution, sex and age (juveniles), one wonders how well this will workout. Even very experienced and knowledgeable guys may sometimes have some trouble with it.

When it comes to bottom fish I m no expert not even close. My method is if I’m not 100% sure they all go back. To be honest about the only ones I keep are Ling and Hali because they are the only ones I am 100% sure of. Just to many regulations and it’s just not worth it to me for a 10 oz fillet.

We kept a few rockfish last year, but going forward we are not going to retain anymore. I know some are going to disagree, but as table fare they are no comparison to lingcod and halibut. And agree with @walleyes that they are not worth it for a small fillet. I have no problem with guests on the boat though that want to keep them and usually suggest they use them in fish tacos or a curry/stew.

I find quillbacks to be pretty good table fare due to their firm meat texture. In fact, I find most rockfish species make decent table fare. I haven't tried china rockfish as the colourful patterns somehow spook me into thinking it's poisonous, but I have tried quillback and brown rockfish. I find almost no difference. The only thing is lings are pretty similar to rockfish meat, and they give a much bigger fillet which I prefer. I would only keep a quillback or a copper if I happened to haul up a decent sized one while fishing for lings. I will say though, I also find black rockfish to have the best flavor out of all of them, and they aren't too difficult to come by on the island.

Turns out they explained it much better on the 2020/21 license. Word for word it says:

No person shall catch and retain in a day in Management Areas 1 to 11, 21 to 27, 101 to 111, 121 to 127, 130, 142 and Subareas 20-1 to 20-4 and 12-14 more than three (3) rockfish, of which only one (1) may be a Quillback Rockfish, a China Rockfish, or a Tiger Rockfish. Note: Not one of each species, but only one of the three

why couldn't they put that "note" on their online regs.. it clears up so much confusion.

steamed rockfish, then pour very hot oil over the fish, dress with some greens, yum.. you can eat almost every piece of meat . no waste.

or whole deep fried until fins a crisped.

for both make sure sure to scale them really well first.

Last edited:
steamed rockfish, then pour pour very hot oil over the fish, dress with some greens, yum.. you can eat almost every piece of meat . no waste.

I second the steamed rockfish. Finish up with a black bean or ginger and green onion sauce and its magic. When you steam you can eat all the meat rather than waste most of it filleting.

steamed rockfish, then pour pour very hot oil over the fish, dress with some greens, yum.. you can eat almost every piece of meat . no waste.

I need more info. What’s your technique for steaming?

i read an article in bcoutdoors magazine about cabezon. it made them sound like the best thing ever. then i caught one. i had one bite and that was it for me. not even suitable fare for dogs. am i missing something? is there some magical way to prep them?

i read an article in bcoutdoors magazine about cabezon. it made them sound like the best thing ever. then i caught one. i had one bite and that was it for me. not even suitable fare for dogs. am i missing something? is there some magical way to prep them?

i havent found it,, grey mush.

I need more info. What’s your technique for steaming?

dependant on size of course.,, a roaster with the tray to keep it up out of the water, 1/2" of water, cover with lid, steam/poach for 20-30 mins.
meat should flake off bones when done. place whole fish on that is on the tray onto a larger plate, pour the hot oil over it. it should crackle as you pour it over the fish.
the presentation is so nice..

dependant on size of course.,, a roaster with the tray to keep it up out of the water, 1/2" of water, cover with lid, steam/poach for 20-30 mins.
meat should flake off bones when done. place whole fish on that is on the tray onto a larger plate, pour the hot oil over it. it should crackle as you pour it over the fish.
Cheers appreciate it!

Very good technique. I would actually make a slice along the back of the fish from below the neck to the tail to help cook faster and more thorough. Once cooked, pour out any excess water from the tray, sprinkle a bit of table salt, table spoon of soy sauce and add julienne green onion and ginger. Finish it off with the hot oil. Yummy!!!

I bought a stainless fish steamer online a few years ago for about $50. It has a rack you put your fish on that you can lift out. About 1" of water and steam your fish. I also do salmon all the time in it, either fillets or pieces. I like steamed fish as it stays moist and retains the flavour.

Back