"Our River Is Empty"

You didnt read the story:

quote:The meeting is open to all and organizers say they want public input.

“That’s the only way we’re going to get any traction on this issue and I believe we will do that,” said Rutherford.

“If there is any community that is going to be able to meet this significant challenge, it’s going to be Cowichan, because of the history and the passion and the fact people from a lot of different views and backgrounds are willing to work together.”

The meeting begins at 10 a.m. Nov. 19 at the Vancouver Island trout hatchery, 1080 Wharncliffe Rd.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

50 what? Chinooks? From what I know Koksilah has no Chinooks. Few cohos and steelies in years when the water levels are just right at the right time as there are some critical barriers that fish can only navigate at the perfect water level - which does not happen every year - so I have heard from folks in the know.

"Our river is empty"

Stop catching the fish and selling them to whites!! It is obviously an issue when the Band has to smuggle fish up the river past their own band members!! These are the bad apples and I really think they need to be delt with, but how? First Nations people need to have their own personal allocation, but they all need to be moniterd and as soon as they catch their share they have to stay off the water till next year. I'm not into supporting someone's drug or booze habit, but if they are fishing to make a moderate livlihood then I'm all for it. FN's need to be getting the most value for each fish to lessen the impact of their commercial fisheries, If it only takes 50 fish to make $2500, it sure would be better than haveing to catch and sell 250 for the same amount of money.

Seems to me that DFO has an alterior motive when dealing with anyone who fishes the coast, Keeping things the same is just going to bring us to wild salmon disasters all over the place, but I guess we shouldn't worry because they can always fill the demand for salmon by farming it!!!

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Back