Ottawa Says No Fish For You

Discussion in 'Conservation, Fishery Politics and Management.' started by cohojohnny, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

20-3 to 20-7 is inclusive....meaning 20-4,20-5 etc. So not even remotely similar

2. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

No. August 1st opening a retention of one, slot limit of 80cm. Its different. Sooke got hammered.

3. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

The whole lower island got hammered !
    :mad:

4. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Holy shit you guys just read the regs. It's very clear.

5. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

For some it isn't. Probably the shock.

Rain City likes this.
  6. Rayvon

Rayvon Well-Known Member

I actually run into people at the dock all the time that are surprised when I tell them they can't keep springs till August.

CRGreg likes this.
  7. Fins -n- Skins

Fins -n- Skins Well-Known Member

The 80cm is a shock for sure. It was bad enough when it was 85cm till August 1st in the past. Measuring fish at that time of year just doesn't work. Just let us take our 1 and go home. Coho reg is just a bad as we weed through wilds just trying to find a hatch. Should be open Sept 1st for 1 one coho wild or hatch ?

Bryan Allen and Ryan A like this.
  8. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

They win!! I give up! Hi speed riggers and lots of gear going on sale later today-pics to come !

9. the butcher

the butcher Well-Known Member

Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me... Sad to say No one to blame but ourselves. . How many time do we listen to those who are representing the rec fishing sector until we realize the strategy of playing nice and playing by the rules jsut don't frekin work???? How many times? We are the dumb and stupid fools... Why would this year be different than previous years? DFO are like used car salesmen who sell lemon cars... Tell you what you want to hear, give you hope, say all the right things and then next thing you know your pants are down to your ankles and you just got shafted.

Letters dont frekin work... Writing a huge proposal and trying to use logic, common sense and data in our proposal to DFO doesn't work... All we do is sit and wait and hope for the best.. Then when the shitty news comes out, we get pissed but don't do anything about it. Next year same shit will happen. How is it that deep down inside everyone would have been content if they kept the regulations the same as last year when those weren't even acceptable? With the crappy new regs this year, does that mean next year we will hope they keep them the same as this year? It a damn game of chicken and we Always flinch first. They know we won't make a stink about it. Why do you think FN can do as they please on the rivers and oceans? Because there will be a shit storm by every FN group in the province if a confrontation happens.. And DFO knows it.

No more playing nice. No more freaking proposals.. We need to make a stance and draw a line in the sand. Otherwise this shit will happen year after year.

10. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

The reason FN can do what they want is because they have the support of the people that have nothing to do with the industry. This isn't going to get better for us. Every dam Facebook post turns into some racist rant in the comments and usually by some douche holding up a dead tyee. We will not win that fight.

11. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

When the minister in charge of the fisheries lasy year was reelected the message sent was very clear. Honestly guys....

Aces likes this.
  12. Pineapple Express

Pineapple Express Well-Known Member

Ugh, brutal. I just scrolled through this thread to catch up.

So, down here in the Vancouver area we can't target chinook until Sept...but can we still go fishing and target coho? That's the way I read it. And if you happen to hook a chinook you have to release it prior to Sept 1. Hmmm

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    CRGreg likes this.
  13. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

Actually it’s sept 1, unless you go over to thrasher then it’s a slot in August

14. Pineapple Express

15. adanac

adanac Well-Known Member

It will be business as usual on my rig.

fishinforever, Trophy21 and Aces like this.
  16. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

For Vancouver

o Apr. 1 to Jul. 31, Chinook non-retention

o NEW: Aug. 1 to August 31, 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm

o Sept. 1 to Dec. 31, 2 Chinook per day

o NEW: No fishing for salmon/Chinook from April 1 to Aug 31 in the following areas: Subareas 28-1, that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east from Halkett Point to Lions Bay on the mainland and Subareas 28-7 to 28-9. Those portions of Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that lie south of a line from the southern tip of Valdes Island then extending to Gibsons.
    Terminal Chinook opportunities will be considered near major hatcheries
    January 1 – March 31: 2 Chinook per day

skunk on the boat likes this.
  17. sir-vivor

sir-vivor Well-Known Member

I think they should at least reimburse us for our Chinook tags if requested , the fricken assholes

BCRingo likes this.
  18. Pineapple Express

WTF!?! What does this mean? Chinook are 1 of 5 species of pacific salmon. I honestly want to catch some coho...am I allowed to target them?

19. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

I’m not sure at this point. Seen multiple conflicting stuff on Facebook

20. BCRingo

BCRingo Crew Member

we, in western provinces, didn’t vote these incompetent clowns into the office. We’re really fu$&ked by those in the east, almost in all aspects.

Islandgirl, Copper Moon and ILHG like this.