Ottawa Says No Fish For You

I get the frustration, I truly do. They targeted 5% Canadian fishery mortality for the spring 4 and 5.2s and the summer 5.2s. We didnt meet that, and rec alone was close to the 5% on the summer 5.2s (re that avid angler meeting)...and we aren't first in the allocation policy.

5% is a almost impossible low number to meet. There is some interesting studies that have come out of the states that says you can have higher exploitation rates and really not effect an at risk stock. Fishing is not the problem nor is stopping it the solution.

Even the latest science coming for dfo says
Fishing restrictions alone won’t be enough to recover these stocks.

What’s more concerning then the measures is the fact that they have devoted no new
Money to helping out with all the issues they said. Nor from my knowledge has any recovery plan been developed.

Once again fishery managers lean on the same crutch and close fisheries.

I've got the drone (and know how to use it well) if concerned parties want to get together this Summer to video record the Native Spring Salmon Blood Bath on the Fraser River. Sold my jet boat so if people are interested lets start another thread specifically for this and get some serious volunteers together. I may be able to get a friend or two with jet boats to help as well. It's not just the gill nets you want to get on tape.. there's a lot more to see up river.

Was trying to put politics behind and let others do the battling cause I've had bad life experiences in the past with this kind of **** with the government ******** and these other aforementioned parties but enough is enough. I have some personal information of where they will be laying nets completely across the river branches up river as well. Was involved with some of this **** about 20 years ago as well.. It's disgusting. Nice plan they came up with and it worked well of course. They lobbied the ***** governments to do exactly what they wanted so there's 10 times the amount of Springs entering the river so they can annihilate them all. This government/native union has absolutely zero to do with whats best for mother nature and it's creatures on Earth. And no I'm not racist. I'm just F'ing fed up with the discrimination to the rest of us. We all share this earth.

Thank god they left the herring...

And the response time on the Big Bar slide...outstanding

month to month leases for fish farms...

those stellar moves should help...maybe they will have a change of heart.

Don't forget they thought this plan out so well that now there is going to be tons of fish in the waters to feed the seals and sea lions as well.... Save the orcas, save the whales, save the sea lions, save the seals...

I've got the drone (and know how to use it well) if concerned parties want to get together this Summer to video record the Native Spring Salmon Blood Bath on the Fraser River. Sold my jet boat so if people are interested lets start another thread specifically for this and get some serious volunteers together. I may be able to get a friend or two with jet boats to help as well. It's not just the gill nets you want to get on tape.. there's a lot more to see up river.

Was trying to put politics behind and let others do the battling cause I've had bad life experiences in the past with this kind of **** with the government ******** and these other aforementioned parties but enough is enough. I have some personal information of where they will be laying nets completely across the river branches up river as well. Was involved with some of this **** about 20 years ago as well.. It's disgusting. Nice plan they came up with and it worked well of course. They lobbied the ***** governments to do exactly what they wanted so there's 10 times the amount of Springs entering the river so they can annihilate them all. This government/native union has absolutely zero to do with whats best for mother nature and it's creatures on Earth. And no I'm not racist. I'm just F'ing fed up with the discrimination to the rest of us. We all share this earth.

These videos showing illegal nets across the river need to be presented to the news agencies like Global. Let the public know who is doing their part in wiping out those at risk runs of Chinook salmon. DFO will continue to turn a blind eye unless there is considerably more public pressure to put a stop to illegal netting.

Fishing without a license is another battle. A license places you under contract to which you MUST abide the terms and conditions of license. I wouldn't suggest either as a venue of protest. People have lost in both cases.
I have a license but don’t recognize that I can’t keep a hatchery raised Chinook which is in no way has any affiliation with the depressed Fraser stocks that I do support protecting

50025329378_f1f5fec6af_z.jpg
[/url]

From Watershed Watch Facebook page:

DFO’s management measures announced today for Fraser Chinook once again fail to protect these endangered salmon runs. Last year (2019), the Minister set a conservation objective to limit total mortalities of Fraser Chinook to 5%. The actually mortalities were more than double this amount. This does not take in the additional impacts of the Big Bar slide. The new measures announced today are not substantially different from last year’s failed measures, even though the stocks are still at-risk, Canada is still not meeting its treaty obligations to the US, and the Big Bar slide is still a major concern. If we want to save these fish, we need to stop killing them. Of the 13 Fraser Chinook populations assessed by federal scientists, 12 are classified as ‘endangered’ or ‘threatened’. Further, Harrison Chinook, which return to the lower Fraser, have not met their target under the Canada-US Pacific Salmon Treaty in 7 of the last 8 years. DFO is not doing the monitoring necessary to understand where exactly these endangered fish are being caught in marine recreational fisheries (which catch most of these fish), and catch and compliance monitoring is sorely lacking in both the recreational and Indigenous fisheries. DFO is also failing to apply its own science in estimating the impact of catch-and-release fishing on the survival of Fraser chinook. DFO says they intend to invest in rebuilding, but they do not have rebuilding targets and plans in place as required by law. In other words, Minister Jordan and DFO decided today to ‘sit on their hands’ and watch the continued decline of Fraser salmon. Make no mistake: this is not a trade-off between conservation and the economy. In 2019, with these same measures in place, the recreational fishery caught almost 400,000 Chinook. The additional conservation reductions that Watershed Watch and our allies originally suggested may have reduced this number by maybe 15%, while ensuring the conservation targets were met for endangered Fraser chinook salmon.

These closures and regulations aren't science based if dfo actually based policy on science we would have seen these closures along time ago. Wild chinook stocks are hurting across our province and anyone who doesn't have their head in the sand can see that, walk a river in the fall to see for yourself. Hatchery retention only should be the case for all salmon fishing period that would make it easy to identify and would take pressure off the wild stocks for awhile. Years of sports fishing sector denying that salmon are in trouble is why we have little voice, if concerns had been raise by our sector we could have gotten ahead of this and controlled the narrative rather then continuing to say the same old last year was great even though it gets worse every year. Joining with the other groups trying to protect salmon would go farther to gaining more influence rather than blaming ngo's for stopping our chances of fishing, ultimately the collapse of stocks will be what stops our opportunities and if we don't acknowledge that soon it is going to happen. Chinook are on the edge right now either we let up and they come back or they get pushed past the point of return just like the old growth forests that allowed them to establish populations here and its pretty easy to see they aren't coming back anytime soon. Sports fishing may not have been the biggest reason for the decline of stocks but we played our part and have a share in the blame for their decline and resulting loss of opportunities for retention.

Did recreational really catch 400,000 Fraser Chinook or is that number Chinook from all areas?
Figures lie & lier's figure. 400,000 COULD be somebody's estimate on total Chinook mortality BC-wide from rec fishing. I could see 150K Chinook retained BC-wide, so you would need a very high mortality rate associated with releasing fish, or what is called "drop-off" mortality where a fish that is hooked but get's away eventually dies. Most reliable sources would put the total for both at around 20%, which would mean an additional 1 million or so released Chinook. My cousin was at a resort up by Stuart Island last June & said they were C&R about 30 fish each per day, and from the Vancouver area reports on this site similar stuff seems to be going on there as well. Given the 20% mortality, that's killing 6 Chinook per day per angler.
I think the real number is less that the 400K but much higher than most on this forum could agree to.

Strait of Georgia – South and Juan de Fuca - Areas 18, Subareas 19-3 to 19-12, Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, Area 28 and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 (with the exception of those
portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in the section below), and Subarea 29-8:
- Immediately to 23:59 hours July 31: Chinook non-retention;
- 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm;
- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.

Holy **** you guys just read the regs. It's very clear.

I actually run into people at the dock all the time that are surprised when I tell them they can't keep springs till August.

The 80cm is a shock for sure. It was bad enough when it was 85cm till August 1st in the past. Measuring fish at that time of year just doesn't work. Just let us take our 1 and go home. Coho reg is just a bad as we weed through wilds just trying to find a hatch. Should be open Sept 1st for 1 one coho wild or hatch ?

Back