Ottawa Says No Fish For You

Yes we were never consulted on these new closures and yet they claim they did.

Can someone explain to me why we can't copy the Columbia River hatchery on the Frazer River? What is the cost yearly for that hatchery? I've returned heads and it was 80% Columbia fish, why are we not doing our part?

Can someone explain to me why we can't copy the Columbia River hatchery on the Frazer River? What is the cost yearly for that hatchery? I've returned heads and it was 80% Columbia fish, why are we not doing our part?
canadian hatcheries supplement wild stocks while american hatcheries create fisheries

Thank god they left the herring...

And the response time on the Big Bar slide...outstanding

month to month leases for fish farms...

those stellar moves should help...maybe they will have a change of heart.

So we try to make our human presence neutral is that it? Protecting the Frazier river seems to be the most unlikely challenge of all rivers, why not use it as our fishery supplement and keep the rest as natural as possible? We are falling behind regardless.

All i see is money spent to count every year to see that we are not doing enough. I think spend that on programs to make sure we do more.

Be reminded that the law on water is quite different from common law on land in areas as such. Admiralty Law comes to mind.

Just a thought.
I'm always so intrigued by your thoughts on this stuff. I just can't decipher what the hell you're saying. I'm not joking here, can you please explain more?

It should be more than obvious to all now that this is NOT about data driven, science based, unbiased decision making that takes into consideration all the harvesting sectors. This is pure biased politics plain and simple - trying to appease those who will support the Liberals staying in power.

Time to get smart and get political ourselves and fight fire with fire. Time to raise serious $$$ and educate the public and to lobby hard Whether you like them or not look at the success of the ENGO’s or even the NRA. Good lobbying effort can pay off. Need much much more than the few lobbying groups we have at present.

We need to unite and join together in large numbers for a show of strength! Time for some well organized peaceful protests! Need to fight politicians politically as it is all they really respond to. Need to document the economic damage done to local businesses and communities up and down the coast. Damage for what? Just BS decisions that hurt us but don’t really deal with the real problems!!!

Last edited:
That’s tough news to swallow and definitely takes the excitement out of summer fishing plans. I don’t understand why they don’t reduce the annual quota rather than creating a slot limit for when retention is permitted. In my experience volunteering at a hatchery, the length of fish was not relative to reproductivity.

Be reminded that the law on water is quite different from common law on land in areas as such. Admiralty Law comes to mind. Aka: Canadian maritime law

Just a thought.
Yeah, well cryptic and irrelevant to this topic:
Maritime and Admiralty Law
The Federal Court has jurisdiction to resolve all disputes under Canadian maritime law and under any law relating to a matter coming within the class of subject of navigation and shipping, whether on the high seas or within Canadian territorial waters. Examples include:

• Collisions at sea, groundings and damage to fixed and floating objects;
  • Pollution or other environmental damage caused to the marine environment and fishery;
  • Death and personal injury caused by or while on a ship;
  • Salvage operations and contributions to general average;
  • All nature of claims arising from carriage of goods by sea including cargo loss or damage claims;
  • Ship building, repair and equipping of a ship;
  • Goods, services and materials supplied to a ship;
  • Disputes arising from charter parties relating to the use, hire and possession of a ship;
  • Limitation of liability for all maritime claims by various marine participants;
  • Towage, pilotage, transit of seaway or canals, use of port facilities;
  • Claims arising from or in connection with marine insurance, including coverage issues;
  • Marine sale, mortgage, and other security interests in a ship and other marine property and disputes with respect to possession, employment or earnings derived from a ship;
  • Seaman’s wages, property, benefits;
  • Ship and other marine property arrest, and judicial sale and subsequent adjudication, ranking of creditor claims and distribution of sale proceeds and all other issues arising from a marine insolvency;
  • Private International Law disputes arising in a maritime matter including recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitration awards.
Relevant Statutes

Canada Marine Act, SC 1998, c. 10

Canada Shipping Act, 2001, SC 2001, c. 26

Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act, SC 1989, c. 3

Coasting Trade Act, SC 1992, c. 31

Federal Courts Act, RSC 1985, c. F-7

Federal Courts Rules, SOR/98-106

Marine Liability Act, SC 2001, c. 6

What I am alluding to is too large a topic, but you could ultimately end up in jail for forming a blockade and loose your boat too. Just a pointer worth educating oneself about.
Instead of "alluding" to whatever it is you have to say why not speak openly, honestly and directly? You seem incoherent.

To the best of my recollection no boats were seized and no one ended up in jail for the commercial boats blocking the harbour in the early 90s. This needs to be a summer of protest and education that non of this is science based.
And how did that protest work for them?

Wasn't referring to what it acomplished but to stormtroopers insinuating of what could and also doesn't mean it won't be considered either as we have seen of late it seems to be a free for all when it comes to protests only observations of the current environment we live in

It should be more than obvious to all now that this is NOT about data driven, science based, unbiased decision making that takes into consideration all the harvesting sectors. This is pure biased politics plain and simple - trying to appease those who will support the Liberals staying in power.

Time to get smart and get political ourselves and fight fire with fire. Time to raise serious $$$ and educate the public and to lobby hard Whether you like them or not look at the success of the ENGO’s or even the NRA. Good lobbying effort can pay off. Need much much more than the few lobbying groups we have at present.

We need to unite and join together in large numbers for a show of strength! Time for some well organized peaceful protests! Need to fight politicians politically as it is all they really respond to. Need to document the economic damage done to local businesses and communities up and down the coast. Damage for what? Just BS decisions that hurt us but don’t really deal with the real problems!!!

I get the frustration, I truly do. They targeted 5% Canadian fishery mortality for the spring 4 and 5.2s and the summer 5.2s. We didnt meet that, and rec alone was close to the 5% on the summer 5.2s (re that avid angler meeting)...and we aren't first in the allocation policy.

Back