Ottawa Says No Fish For You

WOW I guess data really helped us again.. and writing letters hate to say it guys complete waste of time ... I warned you all many years ago this was gonna happen .. I will say to those that wrote letters and such thank you as maybe it stopped a whole closure. But i say now is the time we block **** it ports and block railways seems to work for others... VERY sad day for anyone who fishes ...and tour industry

Portions of Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet closed until September 1. Pretty much everywhere if you look at their map

Sooooooo many fish will get beat to **** from Folks netting to measure them. Don’t see how mortality can’t possibly be higher with the 80cm max than if they had made it 1 a day. I guess they figured that it has worked so well down south end that expanding it will fix everything. What a joke!

Sad part is that in a year or three this will seem like the good old days.
My heart goes out to all the charter businesses.

Sooooooo many fish will get beat to **** from Folks netting to measure them. Don’t see how mortality can’t possibly be higher with the 80cm max than if they had made it 1 a day. I guess they figured that it has worked so well down south end that expanding it will fix everything. What a joke!

At lest for some people they get a slot Vancouver’s closed till sept 1.

80cm fish is 17ish from what I remember I would take that.

At lest for some people they get a slot Vancouver’s closed till sept 1.

80cm fish is 17ish from what I remember I would take that.

Sorry but that is not the point here. Certainly you would not be suggesting that those with the slot retention should be thankful?!

the point is as I wrote it. Lots of fish will die in an effort to measure them. I suggest that it MAY just be more than if they left it at the 1 or 2 a day.
I think that at times some forget that lots out there are not guides or professionals and boat side ID of fish does not come as easily for them.

That said from a public access point of view it is better than non retention of fin fish closure. That point I do not argue.

I get that it's frustrating but please do not net fish to measure them. Be a good sportsman. Mark a stick so you can quickly measure length in the water and release in the water if required. Please do not net fish you cannot keep. That will only increase the risk of unintended fish mortality.

I get that it's frustrating but please do not net fish to measure them. Be a good sportsman. Mark a stick so you can quickly measure length in the water and release in the water if required. Please do not net fish you cannot keep. That will only increase the risk of unintended fish mortality.

Agree!! That is actually exactly what I just said.

Myself I never net fish I do not intend on bonking. I make the call boat side and then flip them off with the gaff or pliers if hook is tough to get otherwise.

So is netting a fish quickly in a wet net harder on the fish than playing it to exhaustion so it can be handled at the side of the boat? I personally play fish hard, bend the rod, get it done with, if the fish will let me unhook it, it will be done, but I won't play yo yo just so I can yippee at the sound of my reel.

So is netting a fish quickly in a wet net harder on the fish than playing it to exhaustion so it can be handled at the side of the boat? I personally play fish hard, bend the rod, get it done with, if the fish will let me unhook it, it will be done, but I won't play yo yo just so I can yippee at the sound of my reel.

The net is only an issue if the fish is lifted out of the water. Using the net as a cradle by the side of the boat where the fish does not leave the water and the netting is in the water and not pressed against the side of the fish is less harmful then playing a fish to exhaustion for an unhook and or measurement.

This practice is especially effective for guys in small tinnys.

Ultimately use what works for minimal fish interaction while maintaining safety for you.

Makes sense to most people who post here I'm sure. But the vast majority of people I see on the water net absolutely everything.

What is most galling is the complete grinfu#k spin that the Libs put on this decision - Orca's, Fraser fish, First Nations traditional ceremonies. The general public will actually think they are trying to improve the situation. Meanwhile keep gill netting the Fraser. Oh, and they consulted everyone on this??

And, explain to me how it is easier to determine a smaller than 80 cm fish next to the boat than it is one that is clipped (and therefore an American fish that will never see the Fraser River).

It sucks for us rec fishers but this is going to devastate the guides, lodges, and other businesses that rely upon the sport fishing business and have already been crushed by the Covid situation.

Complete idiocy.

Back