Ottawa Criticized over BC Sport Fishing Restrictions

Do you think it is time for the Fisheries Minister to stop wasting time with fishing restrictions?

• Yes, instead invest in Habitat, Enhancement and Pinniped Control

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Yes, invest in Habitat, Enhancement, Pinniped Control and allow Hatchery Retention

Votes: 48 96.0%
  • No, Keep going with fishing restrictions they will work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

searun

This is worth a read. https://biv.com/article/2020/04/ottawa-criticized-over-bc-sport-fishing-restrictions

The federal government’s restrictions on chinook salmon for recreational fishing this year are not grounded in scientific evidence and will do little to stop the decline of chinook stocks, says a University of British Columbia (UBC) fisheries scientist.

Dr. Murdoch McAllister

Here's a link to a paper he also co-authored with several top ranked scientists from UBC:

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/10.1139/cjfas-2017-0481#.W0TIcdJKjIU

DFO and the Fisheries Minister have ignored the real reasons why Stream-type Fraser Chinook have been declining. In 2012, they put in fishery restrictions to protect this stock.....those restrictions did not reverse the decline. Similarly, over 2 decades ago, they put in severe restrictions to protect Interior Thompson Coho...a 3% Exploitation Rate (ER). Where is the recovery of these stocks. Thompson Steelhead....same....and no directed fisheries on those stocks. What all these species have in common is they spend a great deal more time in the fresh water environment where they are subject to the impacts of climate change. Their water quality and habitat are impacted by forest fires, human development, agricultural use of water etc. And, when those same stocks out-migrate as smolts after a year or 2 in fresh water, they do so as larger smolts. Their size as compared to Ocean-type Chinook, make them incredibly high caloric targets for harbour seals and other pinnipeds, who can sit on human made haul outs (log booms, docks and other structures) in ideal locations that allow them to target these out-migrants.

What has DFO done to address these issues? Not much. We need this Minister to start holding her professional staff accountable to focus on doing the right actions that will actually make a difference in recovering these stocks before it is too late. Fishing restrictions alone WILL NOT WORK.

We need a Fisheries Minister that will make tough decisions and INVEST in 1) habitat improvement, 2) enhancement, 3) water quality protection/mitigation....and 4) strategic and science-based pinniped control of those populations of animals that have habituated to prey upon out-migrant smolts. We also need the Minister to take immediate actions to eliminate artificial haul outs - take away the incentive for these animals to hang around in sensitive locations that allow out-migrant predation.

It would have been nice to see an option of removing open net pen salmon farms as part of the solution on the survey.

That was exactly my thought too so I decided not to vote.
It would have been nice to see an option of removing open net pen salmon farms as part of the solution on the survey.

No mention of fish farms in this post https://watershedwatch.ca/greg-taylor-holding-dfo-to-account-on-endangered-chinook/ . according to the ENGO's its the Catch and release fishery now to blame. Time to wake up and worry about your own fishery before you have no access left.

according to the ENGO's its the Catch and release fishery now to blame.
Certainly not my take-away from the watershedwatch article. I can certainly fault the ENGO's for specifically calling out FN fisheries as part of the problem just as I fault the majority on this forum who blame everybody but sport fishers.

Certainly not my take-away from the watershedwatch article. I can certainly fault the ENGO's for specifically calling out FN fisheries as part of the problem just as I fault the majority on this forum who blame everybody but sport fishers.

Soo will be have nothing left if FN leaders like this continue to push the agenda with ENGO support.

upload_2020-5-26_10-53-29.png

Last edited:
Back