Osoyoos Lake

michael_reiber

Hello I am going to Osoyoos late July and I was wondering where some good fishing holes are and what lures to use. I would mostly be fishing off the shore but do have access to a paddle boat which is located by Haynes point just north a bit from it (Sun Beach Motel) So I wouldn't be taking the boat very far from the hotel. Any tips would be great.

Thanks.

JAC,

What would I use to catch the bass do I just cast it out into the middle with a hook bober and worm or? I never fresh water fish I always salmon fish and have very little fresh water experience.

Big Green Machine,

Could you please clarify "wacky style"? also so with a weighted jig do I just put one of those plastic worm things on the hook and just cast it out and reel it back in?

You can buy jig heads and various soft baits to thread on or just buy jigs ready to go. You can also try spinner baits. Tons of videos on YouTube on what you can try. Bass are aggressive so if you find them they will usually strike at a lot of things.

Big Green Machine,

So I have never fished bass before but from what I have read about them I would assume if i stand under the bridge and cast over to the little island thing? Or just straight out in the middle where the boats come through?

Big Green Machine,

So I have never fished bass before but from what I have read about them I would assume if i stand under the bridge and cast over to the little island thing? Or just straight out in the middle where the boats come through?

Just find any under water structure or docks and throw it out and twitch it back in, varying your retrieval speed, pause, let it sink, mix it up. For sure get out on the water if you can because casting from shore will limit where you can fish and it is better to cast into the structure, weeds etc and draw the lure back out into open water.

Oddly enough people constantly overlook the obvious and best opportunities. Fish either side of the bridge where the kids are
jumping. Here you can find some monsters. Chuck a bunch of worms or maggots right to the bottom. then wait...:)

Hook worm as bobber also casting spinner baits or rapala and let them sit in the current.

We Bass fished a few days ago and it was slow. Even the locals were commenting on the slow bass fishery. Water was 70 degrees so perfect, not sure why we only caught a few small ones.

top water frogs and poppers in shallow waters along the shore. look for the shade or cover. or a Texas rigged crawfish in a dark olive or root-beer brown colour fished in 5-8ft with some structure around ( weeds, logs, rocks, over hanging brush ect.) split the claws more then they come to give them more movment

another great fishery if you get a cooler day is carp, gotten some monster in there on nightcrawlers/dewies in the early morning/evening but takes patients and slow down a lot mid-summer

Anyone having any luck under fishin at the bridge? I have fished there the last 2 days, I have fished mid day, 4am and at dusk with no luck anyone got any other tips?

If your fishing for bass drive north of osoyoos turn right on road 22 and follow and fish the oxbows. There are meandering oxbows from road 22 all the way up to Oliver. Also the river has been fishing well worth a shot.

My 2nd largest bass 8.4lbs came off the river between rd 22 and the mouth if the river. Just hang a right on the river dike once you cross the bridge on rd 22. Drive to the end you can launch the boat and use your Jon boat up the river and can access a few oxbows off the lake right in that area. Look for wood beaver dams are really good. I like Texas rig and spinner baits. Also skaha has great small mouth bass fishing

Back