Osoyoos Lake Sockeye 2020

awesome! ill be there on the 3rd. should be fun. what do u use as a hook. last time i was there we use a pink hoochie and a silver dodger. we had good luck with that set up. is there anything else i could use thats better??

awesome! ill be there on the 3rd. should be fun. what do u use as a hook. last time i was there we use a pink hoochie and a silver dodger. we had good luck with that set up. is there anything else i could use thats better??

I use a moonjelly red racer with 2" squirt hoochie works great 14" leader was the trick last time I fished it, couldnt even let the rod sit for 5 mins lol

has anyone done any evening fishing for the sockeye. how was it??ive only ever fished the mornings. i’ll be coming from christina lake, would be nice not have to get up at 4:30

Sockeye opening is daylight hours only.

My rig is a pink squirt with beads stacked to push the red octopus hook down so it clears the end of the hootchie. (Stinger hook would be better but not permitted). I'm using pink Smile Blade for more flash. Pink or red dodger with 14" leader. Slow troll, 0.8- 1.0 mph. And a ball-mounted inline style Agitator flasher close to the dodger and squirt rig. Lots of course changes to get rigs rising and falling, which is not a problem as there will be a lot of boats out there.

Is there any particular reason why there’s no river fishing? Or why there’s no opening on Skaha?
Skaha is the spawning area for many of these fish. Or they're the precocious ones already trying to get into Okanagan. These latter especially are to be protected as there is much future potential riding on Okanagan as spawning and rearing habitat.

Sockeye opening is daylight hours only.

My rig is a pink squirt with beads stacked to push the red octopus hook down so it clears the end of the hootchie. (Stinger hook would be better but not permitted). I'm using pink Smile Blade for more flash. Pink or red dodger with 14" leader. Slow troll, 0.8- 1.0 mph. And a ball-mounted inline style Agitator flasher close to the dodger and squirt rig. Lots of course changes to get rigs rising and falling, which is not a problem as there will be a lot of boats out there.
ya for sure theres no fishing at night, im asking about the evening. before dark. anyone fish then? how is it??

I'd be too worried about the PWCs and wake boats taking one last lap and crunching me in the dusk.

Stinger hook would be better but not permitted).

This sure generates a lot of debate amongst anglers of the larger Interior Lakes, mostly when the topic of using Bucktails comes up in the springtime.

The Freshwater Regs are not clear and any discussions around it usually end up with the ‘yes’ side saying they checked with authorities and were told two hooks on the same lure were OK and the ‘no’ side saying they were told NOT OK.

There is a Lake Specific single barbless hook restriction on Osoyoos, meaning a single pointed and barbless hook designed to catch one fish at a time must be used. However, the Province wide rule is ‘only one fishing line to which attached is one hook.’ The spirit of this is to prevent people from using set ups that have the potential to hook two fish at once. IMHO, the wording of this Provincial reg needs to be changed to make it clear that it is OK to use lures, flies (i.e Bucktails) and hoochies with two hooks as long as they comply with any local restrictions (i.e. barbless, single point).

Yeah it's a grey area, and to complicate matters many people will argue that a treble is still a single hook, it just happens to have three points. Others say trebles are illegal. Depends which CO you get...

I'd also suggest there is a good case to be made for barbed hooks to be allowed specifically for the Osoyoos sockeye opening. The surface water is very warm and the fish are tired, this really does need to be a catch and kill fishery. Mortality rates would be severe for released fish, whether inadvertent or deliberate. But since they have a nice simple barbless rule right across the province, this one exemption is highly unlikely, even though it would be better for all.

Location: leave marina and head north and away from shore. Generally the fish will be holding in water 100 ft deep or more. You'll see them on the sounder, they'll be stacked deep and wide. Trolling can start within a few hundred metres of the marina entrance. I don't even bother running my main.

Skaha is the spawning area for many of these fish. Or they're the precocious ones already trying to get into Okanagan. These latter especially are to be protected as there is much future potential riding on Okanagan as spawning and rearing habitat.

I didn’t realize these were lake-spawners, I thought they mainly spawned in the channel these days, or some in the river north of Oliver. But honestly it shouldn’t matter if they are caught in Osoyoos Lake, the River, or Skaha. You’re still removing a fish and reducing the number that end up spawning, so you just need to control that amount right?

This sure generates a lot of debate amongst anglers of the larger Interior Lakes, mostly when the topic of using Bucktails comes up in the springtime.

The Freshwater Regs are not clear and any discussions around it usually end up with the ‘yes’ side saying they checked with authorities and were told two hooks on the same lure were OK and the ‘no’ side saying they were told NOT OK.

There is a Lake Specific single barbless hook restriction on Osoyoos, meaning a single pointed and barbless hook designed to catch one fish at a time must be used. However, the Province wide rule is ‘only one fishing line to which attached is one hook.’ The spirit of this is to prevent people from using set ups that have the potential to hook two fish at once. IMHO, the wording of this Provincial reg needs to be changed to make it clear that it is OK to use lures, flies (i.e Bucktails) and hoochies with two hooks as long as they comply with any local restrictions (i.e. barbless, single point).

its not a single barbless hook. It’s just barbless. Just like Okanagan.

True dat, but then there is the DFO notice which indicates single barbless for Sockeye only. I’m going with my tandem hoochies regardless.

The Fisheries notice says, and I quote, “ Single barbless hooks are required when fishing for Salmon in non-tidal waters of British Columbia”.

That’s pretty basic English right there. Single barbless HOOKS ARE required. That’s in the plural tense. If it was supposed to be 1 hook, it should say “A single barbless HOOK IS required.....”

ill be running my tandem hootchies as well.

The Fisheries notice says, and I quote, “ Single barbless hooks are required when fishing for Salmon in non-tidal waters of British Columbia”.

That’s pretty basic English right there. Single barbless HOOKS ARE required. That’s in the plural tense. If it was supposed to be 1 hook, it should say “A single barbless HOOK IS required.....”

ill be running my tandem hootchies as well.
Correct. Single as apposed to trebles.

Also this is awesome...

Treble hook
To have vaginal sex with a woman while inserting your thumb in her butt in a hook like manner, doing the same with your other thumb in her mouth with a slight tug simulating the effect of a fish hook.
Jeff said to Corey, "Hey bro! I totally gave Nicole the treble hook last night!"

DFO getting ready to launch this morning in Osoyoos. Nice way to spend a Saturday at work. Checking wake boats full of chicks. Never know who might be poaching a few sockeye.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725-171004_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200725-171004_Gallery.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 60
The run is pretty much all past Bonneville now, 340,000 fish. And at Wells the count is 200,000 with 5000-8000 arriving daily.

Have talked to all the campgrounds on the Lake and can’t find a site for next week anybody have any thoughts or solutions to that problem

Opening day today. Several dozen boats on the water already when we drove past the north end at 5:30. Ramp crowd was mostly gone by the time we got there although parking was several blocks away. No need to run to the north end to join the crowd, the fish appeared on the sonar directly out from the marina entrance as soon as we hit 80 ft of water. Never bothered using the main, did the whole event on kicker only.

It was slow for us at first and we saw very few fish caught before 8 am. We ended up moving away from the usual doctrine and found success with full size flashers and 30" leaders plus a dummy flasher right on the cannonball. Troll speed 1.5 mph worked best, which is a bit faster than I've gone in the past for these fish.

Back