Osoyoos Lake Sockeye 2020

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing Forum' started by ChinookExerciser, Jan 10, 2020.

1. ChinookExerciser

ChinookExerciser Active Member

2. Seagirt

Seagirt Active Member

3. kingblazer84

kingblazer84 Well-Known Member

4. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

You think the commander would be out of place on the lake?

5. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

Thought you were gonna take it to Barkley sound ?

6. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Might be bamfield now actually. What's your point?

7. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

Catch sox in the sound and inlet

8. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Oh really? Ha! What a dumbass I am. Here I am thinking your talking some shit. Whoops! Well thanks man you bring up a really good point in that case. :)

I used to own property in Osoyoos and spent many many summers there. Never had the chance to do this so I thought I'd be fun to try. Have friends all over the cokenogan. I'd probably just be doing it in my inflatable though, I'd be the first one to laugh at a guy in a 30 footer in that lake.

9. kingblazer84

@Raincity lol the launches prob wont support your 30'.... biggest I saw a couple years ago was I think a 25' kingfisher and it was tight.

BCROB likes this.
  10. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

I remember a guy years ago staying at the Desert Surfside that had a 35' flybridge and it just looked ridiiiiiculous lol. Good point with the launches though.

kingblazer84 likes this.
  11. UkeeDreamin

UkeeDreamin Well-Known Member

Something else for folks to consider is that anyone driving any distance to this fishery is likely travelling further distance than it would take to access a good number of Interior lakes that support Kokanee that are not only larger (do your research on GoFishBC, lots of lakes stocked w/ Triploid Kokes that regularly exceed 3+ lbs) than these very small sockeye. Resident triploid kokes will also have 100% of their stored fat and oil vs Okanogan Sox that have burned off 60-80% of theirs during the long, upstream journey in very warm water to get to Osoyoos lake.

Good for locals, for sure, but being from the Loops I personally wouldn't drive past Monte or Kal Lk to fish Osoyoos. But if you’re already there for a summer vacay, not a bad idea to slow troll a dodger and squirt in the early am before the fam wakes up for the beach?!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Rain City likes this.
  12. kingblazer84

5LB Koke's caught out of Kal Lake

13. UkeeDreamin

upload_2020-1-24_16-0-8.jpeg

Off the internet, Kal lake monster Koke! 5.4kg/11.8lbs!

Cheers!

Ukee

14. Fisher_dude

Fisher_dude Well-Known Member

That’s not from Kal. That fish was scooped up by that guy with a net on arrow I believe.

15. Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine Well-Known Member

Yup on Arrow I believe. It was a floater and he ate it. Also, the Sockeye I retained from Osoyoos Ranged from 3-5 pounds and were pretty good both smoked and grilled.

16. UkeeDreamin

My bad, yeah, Lower Arrow.

Cheers!

Ukee

17. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

When does osoyoos usually open up for sockeye? I seem to remember it being in august but I’m heading up mid July and wondering if I should bring the boat

18. kingblazer84

late july and aug but depends on the run and if they even open it up to rec fishing.. I havent heard anything yet.

Corey_lax likes this.
  19. Fisher_dude

Fisher_dude Well-Known Member

There’s only been 170 sockeye counted through Bonneville Dam so far this year.

Corey_lax likes this.
  20. BCROB

BCROB Active Member

o_O

kingblazer84 likes this.