.ORG How's the Melting Pot?

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Have not heard from you. It's been months since you said it was almost done. Santa did not leave it under the tree. Not sure where it is.

Your phone number does not seem to work anymore.....Once again.

Call Me....

Have not heard from you. It's been months since you said it was almost done. Santa did not leave it under the tree. Not sure where it is.

Your phone number does not seem to work anymore.....Once again.

Call Me....

Owen for some reason my notifications aren't working here.
Cell number is same, just get no service out here unless you still have my old one lol.
I have the thing ready to zap together, and will get it done this week. Between being hospitalized a few times, and things getting really busy for our business, and Christmas I hadn't had time to even touch it yet, apart from having it all prepped and ready to weld.
I will get it done this week though Owen and I know I'm far behind, as I am on a few things right now.
I also had to wait for our new insurance before I could even touch the gear. 7 Grand a year insurance costs sucks, but you don't work with fire without it.
I have to also get a 14' wide garage door installed, and the plasma cutter wired in yet too.
As of Jan 15th I'm going to be swamped so I have to get this out to you before then anyhows or I'll never get time :(
I'll switch the gas over to tri mix from the argon, and pop the push pull Alum gun off, for my steel gun, and zap it up on Wednesday and run it over to you when I get my wife from work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a date to it and I will help out any way I can. Just let me know as we have 100's of pounds of lead to mold for local fisherman. They are all watching this wondering when they can get their hands on my balls....LOL :) HaHa

Best things come to those who wait..... We have waited. I am sure .Org wants new balls as well. We all do after the holidays.

Best things come to those who wait..... We have waited. I am sure .Org wants new balls as well. We all do after the holidays.

Actually I do need some made. I could use some 12's and even a couple 15's.
Tens are just too little.

Lorne, Have been in the process of redoing entire shop for building boats, and switching over from a general welding shop to specialty. More involved than one can imagine.
Owen's pretty much is the last thing I ever build besides boats and accessories anymore.
The worst part is all the insurance required, and making sure everything is up to code. (Cost wise)

The pot is ready to be welded, and parts are prepped, I just haven't been able to zap it together having been in hosp for a few weeks total, and everything shuffling around and in complete disarray, but I'll get it done by wed, so I can swap back to Alum :)

LOL I just finished telling you about this.....

He sent me a PM. It should be ready this weekend or next week some time.

As I said in my pm, I have had plenty of stuff to deal with before I can even flip the switch. I know lots of guys would do things unorthadox, and go ahead and fire up their welders without inspection or up to code, but I'm not one of those, however unlikely it would be to burn something down, or someone get injured it's not a risk I can afford to take until everything is in place. It's not just a simple matter of content insurance or fire insurance. I have to bundle everything up, and it was really unclear even to the insurance agent what insurance we even need over and above general liability, but as it turns out you need boat builders insurance, and other things as well. I had everything all in place already doing general welding prior, but that policy is void and not applicable, and we're dealing with a whole new ball game. Lorne to be honest I'm doing this free for FA anyways, and the steel scrap I purchased out of my own pocket to do this, with no intention of charging Owen a penny at all, and I know he's anxious, and I am too because I need some cannon balls, but I'm in the middle of setting up a large LTD company and everything has to be done proper and in order before I can even do it. I have a build to start between the 15th and 20th so I'm already running like a chicken with no head here. I'm not just dealing with all the bylaw / insurance stuff, but also a stream of potential clients, and thus far my time has been very little to accomplish anything that actually involves the welding part. I'll have all the papers signed, and switched over to steel on Monday. I tried to get it done by Friday but being that boat building is such a small centralized industry, the insurance part was confusing even to the broker, who needed extra time. Regardless. I sent Owen a pm. Not sure this is anyone else's business. My health was the primary reason this took so long. The business advancement is the other. It's not that I'm deliberately dragging this out. I'm just restructuring the business at the same time, including having had to change the entire shop around. This is honestly probably one of the last "random" things I take on as the building of boats will take all of my free time alone. It's free, it'll be awesome and Owen will have it this coming week. I don't think I have to say very much more. Appears Owen already knew this and was cool, so not even sure what the point of the posts are even.

Sounds like you should have a done a bit of research before jumping neck deep? lol. I mean there are owners of welding companies on this forum (sculpin for one) and well diagle and wolf boats must be complient, so that might have been a good place to start. Also grey rock and Les Coville both work on boats in there shop here in the valley.

I own a business with complex certifications, special permits(goverment regulated) and pretty stringent rules. We are very unluckly to be regulated by both federal and provincial governments as well as having to comply with a multitude of different municipalites. We require a plethora different levels of insurance, from fleet insurance, application, transporatation and storage insurance as well as 10 million in liablity insurance. It took me 2 days to set everything up with them. And i am using 3 different insurance companies. My company is also LTD which took a 15 min phone call to my lawer. I met with my accountant and her and my lawyer set it up. That took a total of probably 4 hours including 2 meetings on how to properly structure the company to suit me and other shareholders current and future interests.

I dont want to tell you how to set up your shop as it seems like you got it figured out, but if its a big rigamarole to go from alum to steel that might set you back a bit for future business. Also regardless of what things cost, in my experience our word is really all we really have. Do what you say and say what you do is what ive always lived by.

I just want to pour some cannonballs. And have wanted to since the summer when I told owen i would start collecting and hoarding lead. Wheres your shop at?. I may need some things welded at some point on my rig.

Lorne

Hey Lorne, I'll pour for you, I have over 100 different profiles...give me a shout some time.

DHA.
Sent from my LG-C900B using Board Express

Not to worry Lorne the pot is comming and if not there is already other options if need be. Neither of us needs lead right now and as for the small things I have a small pour pot and molds already. We will do a big pour soon enough. Just remember what the cost is at the end of the day $0.06 a pound. At that price for a 15 pound ball its worth the wait.

Not to worry Lorne the pot is comming and if not there is already other options if need be. Neither of us needs lead right now and as for the small things I have a small pour pot and molds already. We will do a big pour soon enough. Just remember what the cost is at the end of the day $0.06 a pound. At that price for a 15 pound ball its worth the wait.

Your doing 15 lb. balls for .90 cents!!!!!!!!!!!

In all reality. This whole thread was quite ignorant due to .org's health issues IMHO. Information in PM's etc. should not be broadcast on open forum's. You are getting a mold for FREE FA. Patience should be a virtue.:(

Sounds like you should have a done a bit of research before jumping neck deep? lol. I mean there are owners of welding companies on this forum (sculpin for one) and well diagle and wolf boats must be complient, so that might have been a good place to start. Also grey rock and Les Coville both work on boats in there shop here in the valley.

I own a business with complex certifications, special permits(goverment regulated) and pretty stringent rules. We are very unluckly to be regulated by both federal and provincial governments as well as having to comply with a multitude of different municipalites. We require a plethora different levels of insurance, from fleet insurance, application, transporatation and storage insurance as well as 10 million in liablity insurance. It took me 2 days to set everything up with them. And i am using 3 different insurance companies. My company is also LTD which took a 15 min phone call to my lawer. I met with my accountant and her and my lawyer set it up. That took a total of probably 4 hours including 2 meetings on how to properly structure the company to suit me and other shareholders current and future interests.

I dont want to tell you how to set up your shop as it seems like you got it figured out, but if its a big rigamarole to go from alum to steel that might set you back a bit for future business. Also regardless of what things cost, in my experience our word is really all we really have. Do what you say and say what you do is what ive always lived by.

I just want to pour some cannonballs. And have wanted to since the summer when I told owen i would start collecting and hoarding lead. Wheres your shop at?. I may need some things welded at some point on my rig.

Lorne

With due respect Lorne, my business and yours have nothing in common, nor can even be compared. I respect what you're doing and have no idea anything about it, the same as you'd have no idea about mine. If getting into building boats was easy EVERYONE would be doing it.
I have been hospitalized as well more times than I can count in the last few months too, so forgive me for not being 100% on the ball.
If it took you two days to sort your business out that's awesome but with mine, I have huge amounts of things that have to be in place before I can flip a switch.
You mention Daigle, and Wolf and others... I have great respect for Steve, and if you think he built his business in two days you're mad. Wolf, well I don't really want to talk about that.
It's more than that too. It can take 6 months to get the proper permits to do anything with a building or development here too. (Just go ask town hall) It's not as simple as a pain to switch from Aluminum to steel as it is to be legally allowed to flip the power switch on. I do have three welders, but two are being repaired. My primary is a Pulse welder worth almost 10k which is the "work horse", and it has a 30 foot long push pull gun on it, meaning every time I switch materials back and forth I lose 30 feet of Aluminum wire. Stuff's not cheap. I try and stay with one material as long as possible until the two welders I bought secondary are in top shape. One will be rigged mild steel, and the other stainless. It doesn't matter. Owen gets his pot for melting this week, and in all honesty this was between Owen and I. I'm doing it as a favor with no expectation for pay. Yes I'm late. I've tried to explain the reasoning a few times. I have to switch over to steel anyways this week to build a frame for my jig plates to bolt onto, so in doing so I can warrant making the switch and get it done. I don't mind at all doing this for Owen. He's a pretty good guy. I have just been dealing with everything all at once compounded, running my butt off, while suffering poor health. I know you guys are anxious. It'll be there this week so you can pour your hearts out. :)

Also thanks Sculpin !

Anytime fella. Don't want to see someone beat ya down while your down. I hate cheap shot's. Hope all is well with your health.

Cheers,
John

In a nutshell I have severe Diverticulosis that turns into Severe Diverticulitis every week or so, so that they understand what it means is, that my intestines and colon are riddled with holes and abscesses, and it's genetic. When I have an "attack" every few weeks, an abscess bursts and infects my entire abdominal cavity. The pain is incredible and severe enough to keel a grown man over in the fetal position rendering them incapable of doing anything until heavy antibiotics are introduced for a week via IV in the hospital, along with heavy doses of morphine. The only cure for me is to actually remove my s colon, and my main colon which they intend to do, but I am on a surgical wait list for god knows how long, and I have other complications like a short intestine, which will make repair difficult because they have to cut all the arteries to work a re-connection back together which a real chance of bleed out. I keep pushing myself to survive until the damn surgery and keep moving forward best I can right now. It literally kicks the **** out of me each time I end up in the hospital and can take a week afterwards of the antibiotics to get somewhat strong again. Sucks, but that's life at the moment, meantime, when not sick in the hosp I'm setting stuff up. Sometimes I get lucky and get away with no attacks in a few months, but recently they've been pretty frequent. Knowing so I've put together a contingency plan for the boat shop should I head back in, builds will still be on time :) Doc assures me I won't need a colostomy bag at all, but if I wake up after surgery with one, doc's going fishing with me, and I'm bringing the crab traps lol.

Best way I know to describe how bad this stuff sucks.
Hopefully none of you ever have to go through that.

In a nutshell I have severe Diverticulosis that turns into Severe Diverticulitis every week or so, so that they understand what it means is, that my intestines and colon are riddled with holes and abscesses, and it's genetic. When I have an "attack" every few weeks, an abscess bursts and infects my entire abdominal cavity. The pain is incredible and severe enough to keel a grown man over in the fetal position rendering them incapable of doing anything until heavy antibiotics are introduced for a week via IV in the hospital, along with heavy doses of morphine. The only cure for me is to actually remove my s colon, and my main colon which they intend to do, but I am on a surgical wait list for god knows how long, and I have other complications like a short intestine, which will make repair difficult because they have to cut all the arteries to work a re-connection back together which a real chance of bleed out. I keep pushing myself to survive until the damn surgery and keep moving forward best I can right now. It literally kicks the **** out of me each time I end up in the hospital and can take a week afterwards of the antibiotics to get somewhat strong again. Sucks, but that's life at the moment, meantime, when not sick in the hosp I'm setting stuff up. Sometimes I get lucky and get away with no attacks in a few months, but recently they've been pretty frequent. Knowing so I've put together a contingency plan for the boat shop should I head back in, builds will still be on time :) Doc assures me I won't need a colostomy bag at all, but if I wake up after surgery with one, doc's going fishing with me, and I'm bringing the crab traps lol.

Best way I know to describe how bad this stuff sucks.
Hopefully none of you ever have to go through that.

Sounds sh*tty (joke). I hope you can laugh at that. Just my way of trying for you to stay chipper about the whole thing. Keep your stick up fella. Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,
John

Look at it this way guys when .ORG finishes this pot at no cost. The tiger torch I got for free and the propane burner inc. a tank that I got for free. Add in the 300+ pounds of lead I have for less then $100 and the 2-15#molds I got for $50. In the end fishing will be cheaper for many of us. So i can make 20 15#ers for less then $150 and from there every thing is paid for. So at less then $10 a ball everything is paid off in the first 20 balls.

But they are not for sale. This is for fun. Keeping fishing cheaper for some good friends.

As for Lorne he got a great deal on his lead and yes his will be about $0.90 a ball.

Sounds sh*tty (joke). I hope you can laugh at that. Just my way of trying for you to stay chipper about the whole thing. Keep your stick up fella. Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,
John

Haha yeah I still keep chipper!. If you have no humor you've nothing lol.
This stuff's pretty hard on the wife and kids though. Nearly spent xmas in the hospital too. Had to lie and say I felt better before the Gestapo nurses would set me free haha.

Back